Resident Evil Showcase - January 21, 2021 | 2 PM PT

In many ways.

1. During the release date announcement only the PlayStation platforms were mentioned;
  2. The pre-orders start today in the PlayStation store;
  3. There are exclusive editions for PlayStation users, including one with a free soundtrack;
  4. The demo being available before other platforms.

I think this is the most they can do with marketing rights. The next step would be a timed exclusivity.

Marvel’s Avengers also had an early beta, monthly cosmetic bundles for PS+ users and an exclusive digital edition. Not to mention Spider-Man.

Edit: The PSStore is even struggling since people are trying to download the demo:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1352383981409472512

1 Like

Agreed.

Personally I don’t find it a big deal that they only mentioned PS platforms during release date stuff. But I guess Xbox could learn from it, do the same when they have marketing with a certain game.

Wasn’t DMCV available for preorder at that moment during E3 too? Not sure. Exclusive editions is cool I guess, but personally I don’t care about that. I buy the regular edition pretty much always. :wink:

And the last point, Xbox did have the DMCV demo first and much later on PS4, I remember that.

Day freaking one on Xbox Series X. Will pre-order sometime in April at GameStop. Looking forward to it as it looks much better than RE 7. Was hoping for a teaser trailer for REmake4 but oh well.

Was also hoping that the game was going to be next gen only but I understand why it’s not. Can’t pass on 180M users within PS4/XBO. Hopefully, REmake4 is next gen only as im looking forward to that more than I am RE 8.

1 Like

Imagine after all this dogshit exclusive deals and shit, Xbox still feels compelled to release ANY Bethesda title on playstation. It’d just be a slap on the face at that point. Straight up King Fritz from Attack on Titan type shit lol, if you know you know. :rofl:

No it is not. This game was made with last gen in mind. Heck without Covid it probably was slated for early this year.

Lol spoiler

1 Like

Yeah I wanted to mark it as spoiler but I was on mobile and couldn’t find the button for it so I was ehh screw it. Not like many care or even got the reference outside the few of us who are already watching the show too closely by now :rofl:

am I crazy or is this not listing as being a full next-gen version anywhere? It’s missing the tag that next-gen games have on xbox.com

Guessing it’s because it’s so far out that they haven’t bothered yet, but it seems a bit odd.

1 Like

Microsoft as a company doesn’t view things like that. Sony could murder a family of puppies and Microsoft would still consider doing business if it was beneficial to them. Phil isn’t sitting in a board room saying “Sony paid for an exclusive RE demo so we can’t give them the next Fallout” These companies don’t operate on high school politics. Microsoft has put a lot of stuff on Nintendo Switch all while Nintendo hasn’t put a single game on Xbox. None of that stuff is relevant.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-09-25-resident-evil-village-may-not-be-next-gen-exclusive-after-all

“While Resident Evil Village is being developed specifically for next-generation consoles and PC, we’re looking into delivering the experience on Xbox One and PS4 as well,” Kanda said.

So it’s not clear what the target platforms were for REV, but that has nothing to do with my point.

If REV was developed for current gen only the devs could do things that would not be possible if they had to make the same game for last gen aswell, unless your trying to argue that a new gen does not enable devs to do new things, which is rediculous.

It sounds like they did what they wanted for next gen and were successfully able to scale it down to last gen consoles. The demo has some obvious frame rate problems that need to be ironed out, so they are clearly pushing current gen consoles too.

Dusk Golem was right all along. He said the game would be cross-gen and that the PS5 version was having issues. If a 20 minute demo has frame rate issues which is contained inside of corridors, I can only imagine what the full game itself will be. Really hope Capcom optimizes the game as best as possible on Series X and that it doesn’t release like REmake3 did on Xbox One X.

2 Likes

It has happened before with Just Dance 2021 and Puyo Puyo Tetris, which received the Optimized brand only after their respective releases. Ride 4 received a next-gen update today (it is even GDK) and its store page hasn’t updated yet aswell.

Some games up for pre-order also don’t show the Optimized logo – only the Smart Delivery one --, like Little Nightmares 2 and Balan Wonderworld.

Running that thread made me memorize everything related to Series X|S games lol

Them saying that the demo pushed the PS5 to its limits is just… what? Its obviously a cross-gen game.

Indeed.devs will be having discussions weather to make games current gen only or cross gen regardless if they started development on last gen or current gen, however games that started development on current gen are less likely to be developed for last gen aswell, unless its like the old days where weaker systems had a completely different version made by a different dev.

But as for my point in the post you replied too, its rather a straight forward fact, its odd that people dont releaise this. Afterall what would be the point of new consoles if they cant do do things the old ones can’t.

The chorus of ppl doubting him always looked like idiots. He has a long history of being exactly spot on specifically wrt RE stuff. It’s how he got his following in the first place, lol.

Watched the playthrough of the demo and was not really impressed at all to be totally honest. Heard some hyping its visuals but yeah…it legit looked a LOT like RE7 quality assets to me. >.>

Is the demo out yet?

On PS5 yeah. You can find playthroughs on YouTube.

1 Like