Remember those Bungie Acquisition Rumours? We think they're real. - XboxEra

But we already have Destiny 2. It is free to play and all the expansions are even coming to Game Pass.

I did not know about their new IP, though. I thought they were busy with Destiny 2 until 2022, I didn’t know their staff was big enough to work on a new project. That is certainly exciting then!

If it’s not Microsoft, I’d bet it’s NetEase, The Chinese gaming company invested $100 million in them in 2018, but imo I’d rather see MS go after Techland, IOI, Bloober and Asobo than acquiring Bungie.

I’d love to see a Bungie and Xbox reunion. They make big MP games and I would bet they do it again with their new IP.

That part is because this is US based.

Companies outside the US won’t have that.

I would assume that they’ll come down on the price after the Bethesda acquisition. Phil just needs to tell them

“look, this is what will give you but will also pay your salaries, fund your games, give you all of the support you need etc”

I would imagine if Bungie did get purchased they’d be their own publishing arm like Bethesda rather then be under XGS

“There is no place like home” (Dorothy)

1 Like

Bungie isn’t worth acquiring.

1 Like

Reposting from the XGS OT

By the way adding an agent of CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY does not necessarily mean its getting acquired.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_de/3183880
https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_de/4617788

Bungie could also have an appointment for the NetEase investment. In my opinion that is a more probable scenario.

1 Like

From Microsoft’s (and a Xbox gamers) standpoint, the most important thing is that Bungie doesn’t get picked up by Amazon. Fact that Bungie has actively looked for investment tells me they don’t have the ability to deliver on their goals without additional support. Phil is a fan of both Bungie and Destiny, the studio and IP have powerful brands, and Bungie’s next IP could be a platform mover so I think it’s realistic they continue to try. If it’s a NetEase investment, that’s not a bad situation if Microsoft doesn’t like their price.

1 Like

With over 500 employees, surely they’re looking for someone acquiring them… but hopefully someone other than Microsoft.

Yep Bungie has another Big game in the background. A big ARPG if I remember well.

Plus Phil loves Destiny 2. Bungie have incredible talent. They hace great artists and great gunplay, plus Destiny 2 Beyond Light coming Day One in GP. Suspicious

MS mostly buy studios they have a past with and good relations. Maybe they might have come down to terms about a good price.

I bet on MS picking them.

1 Like

This would obviously be a big get, but all of Bungie’s output for the next years is gonna be on Game Pass anyway, so unless their next IP is close to being done and is incredible, I see little point in buying them now with the costs they operate with. But we’ve seen stranger things, and when Microsoft is able to make moves like the Bethesda one, I guess anything can happen.

Phil loves Bungie but I just don’t see it happening for some reason.

1 Like

Indeed plus we don’t know their roadmap. Only Phil and some of his team. We don’t know. Destiny has still incredible numbers. Huge player base. Maybe they showed some incredible things to Phil and talk together about possible opportunities etc

Phil wants Bungie to come back home due to their big journey and history they had together.

tenor (21)

You can come back home.Welcome back Bungie! You’ll always be welcome.

Cost is obviously a huge factor. You don’t want to make moves that hamstring you going forward. Unlike Minecraft, the risk with Destiny is the ongoing cost. 800 employees isn’t cheap to upkeep.

That said, there is a real risk leaving Bungie on the open market. CPDR is worth nearly 8 billion today off of 2 IPs which they don’t own outside of gaming. Cyberpunk is a new IP to most of the market (most aren’t aware of it’s origins). It’s insane potential and value is based on the brand of CDPR. There are very few studios who have that kind of pull in the industry. I believe Bungie isn’t quite at that CDPR or Rockstar level, but is in that next class. With more support and one more hit, they could be there.

From a high level business standpoint, it’s not impossible that Destiny’s value continues to rise with Microsoft backing. It can evolve and it has an extremely loyal base. The Destiny mechanics will adapt to cloud streaming better than most other FPS games. While Destiny will likely continue to exist on all it’s current platforms, an exclusive Bungie game (their next game) in which development isn’t diluted by having to support Playstation and Stadia could be a tent-pole killer app in the same category as Halo and Skyrim. I look at these types of studios like a Superstar in sports. They raise the tide for everyone and their value is hard to categorize by hard stats alone. Having Bungies next IP, Halo and ID on one platform closes the door on the FPS genre…a huge genre in the West.

Really interesting dilemma for Microsoft if Bungie stays up for grabs.

5 Likes

Is it true they want 2 billion?

Real talk: GamePass as the Netflix of gaming needs the heavy hitters as well. A game like Destiny with its longterm roadmap is exactly what keeps players engaged and ultimately subbed to your service. It is a natural progression for a younger audience ‘graduating’ from Minecraft.

If we get to the bottom of it, 2bn is what MS makes in cash in two weeks. The potential in growth it gives you is much higher.

2 Likes

If you take Stadia into account; Destiny 2 was the big Stadia launch title / pack in game. It does feel similar to Bethesda in that both were being courted by the competition. Sony tried to get Bethesda exclusives so Microsoft bought Bethesda. Now Google Stadia would love Bungie exclusives so Microsoft might buy them just to prevent that from happening.

Yep. You don’t need tons of these. Just a few that have loyal bases and continuous content. Destiny is still the king of this genre. If Bungie were bought out by another publisher or Amazon, I could see that Game Pass deal ending.

1 Like

They should definitely do it if they are looking to be acquired. Can’t afford most other companies getting them.