Redfall Discussion Thread

If the game main focus is MP/ Co-op? the best option is to be free to play game, pricing on these type of games is only a barrier to prevent players from entering them and forming a community.

Game Pass is perfect for these games. There has to be a lot of niche games on the service, I am not interested in subbing to “Game Pass games”, I want different types of games.

The “Game Pass game” is a meme. If you take a look at what’s actually on the service and gets added monthly you’ll find literally all types of games.

1 Like

I wonder how they’ll tackle solo play because I usually play solo.

My post is in the context of Redfall perhaps being an adjustment of previous games to fit a more broad audience and how that is or isn’t related to Game Pass.

I personally believe that. Both Bethesda and Arkane can’t possibly keep on making commercial underperformers. Maybe Bethesda did just say to them “make something that can actually make us money this time”. To be honest, Bethesda did a lot, I don’t imagine other publishers last-gen who would’ve greenlit Arkane’s output despite the commerical and financial uncertainty.

1 Like

One thing I noticed on those screenshots is “loadout”. Whenever I see this, it means you have to select your weapons and whatnot before each mission. Hoping that’s not the case. Should be like Division or Outriders with an inventory where you can swap your weapons on the fly especially since it’s a looter shooter. Hoping they didn’t copy Anthem in this regard because that would be a negative right off the bat for pretty much everyone.

This take isn’t as hot as it seems. I’m hyped for Redfall (see avatar), but my brain running wild over possibilities is always going to trump the reality I get.

My dream game has always been an open world immersive sim set in a horror themed world. It would have different regions/biomes that focus on various mythical beasts and monsters. You would have to find and research the folklore behind each of the mysteries/monsters in musty old tomes and you would find and be affected by different curses and spells or monster like abilities (lycanthropes etc). You could turn evil and terrorize the world or choose to fight evil. Basically would feel like Prey had a baby with Castlevania. My dream will live on till the day I die.

Omen sounded like a step that direction, it may end up closer to that than I think, or it may skew more toward left 4 dead/borderlands. I will enjoy it regardless, but it cant compete with what I made up in my head. Nothing likely can.

(if anyone from arkane reads this, please take my idea, its yours. I have none of the skills necessary to make it myself)

5 Likes

I will try it anyway, no Arkane game ever is less than good. I’m only concerned about the “playable solo”, which usually is pr for games made with coop in mind fist and foremost. I doubt my usual pal for these games would play an Arkane game, they are too much technical compared to L4D clones.

the simulation aspect of arcane games will make single and multiplayer playthroughs equally fun imo.

1 Like

My only concern in regards to Redfall being “playable solo” is in regards to what content (if any) gets locked out for solo players. In Division 2, you can do everything excluding the Dark Zone which is PvP and Conflict which is PvE but solo is nearly impossible. In Outriders, you can do everything. Also depends on how the campaign is structured. If it’s like Anthem where you can’t do Strongholds solo which prevents you from progressing through the campaign then it’s a problem. If it’s a separate mode like Division 2, then it shouldn’t matter.

I’m expecting everything in Redfall to be PvE and thus, all be accessible with enemy/level scaling based on how many human players are playing the game. As long as I can play Redfall like I do Outriders and Division 2, then im not anticipating having any issues.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Or like Borderlands games, that in my opinion would be perfect. Played through Borderlands 1 last year solo and 3 as well and same with 2 and Presequel. Or I guess even like Dying Light really. Very enjoyable solo and also co-op.

Yeah, I played Borderlands 3 for over 20 hours solo and didn’t really have any issues with it and im looking forward to Wonderlands in March which I would assume will be very similar in how it plays solo. Dying Light 2 has up to 4 player co-op but yet can be fully played and enjoyed solo. I loved the first game 100% solo and im expecting the same for the sequel. As long as no content is “co-op required”, I don’t see any issues with Redfall.

2 Likes

Do we see this game before or during E3?

I’m going with before. Think it needs a deep dive and E3 won’t have the time for that.

2 Likes

Ok, time for my speculation! :slight_smile:

Off the cuff, I want to say, I think Redfall will be good. No, I think Redfall will be great, but will only review as if it was simply a good game.

I will be the first to admit, the first showing of the game, I wasn’t too impressed. It looked like a L4D clone, and I was far from pleased. However, as time has gone by and more details have trickled out, I have become a lot more excited for the game to the point it’s actually third behind Starfield and the new FE (if true).

Firstly, I have little doubts the game will be enjoyable in Single Player, but will be best enjoyed in four-player co-op. However, not in the way you may think. Oftentimes, when you look at games that are playable in single-player but enjoyable in co-op, it’s often a case of poor scaling of design either putting single players at a disadvantage or just making the game way too bloody difficult altogether. Look at something like Second Extinction which was an absolute blast to play with my friend and an impossible slog otherwise.

In the case of Redfall in comparison, I think you will get a very good immersive sim. I don’t think it will be as good as say Prey or Dishonored, but I think for a single player, you will have a good time. However, based on what I’m seeing mechanically, the real fun will come with friends precisely because it is an immersive sim.

Look back at the trailer for a sec. We see moments where Layla uses her ability to create a supernatural elevator to raise Jacob onto the roof. He goes invisible, hits back a vampire which Layla knocks off the roof with her parasol, Remi and Bribon knock into the window and Dev analyzes. I think this is the sort of stuff you’ll be able to pull off that will be fun as hell, emergent and fill a bajillion stream moments and youtube playthroughs. Whereas, for example, if you just play as Layla, you can maneuver across the rooftops to gain a vantage point but won’t have the sniping capabilities to maximize the potential or Jacob can sneak past the objective but won’t get the vantage point he’d get with Layla. The game will still be fun to play in single-player or with smaller groups because you have options to play through your own way. The analytical player will go with Dev, the stealth player Jacob, the bruiser with Remi, the lightfooted traverser with Layla. But combining these four together is where the magic will be.

Couple this with an open-world which brings a whole new set of verticality and possibilities to the table, and you can see why this game has actually been in development longer than Deathloop.

Now, this is a risky game and it may not be for everyone. It’s a definite departure for Arkane. I think it will naturally review worse than the safer and more polished if in some regards unremarkable (sorry) Deathloop, but I also think this will have the chance to move Arkane’s design forward in a bold new direction. Devs have been trying to crack a co-op immersive sim for years and I think this one could chart an exciting path forward.

I also think commercially and in Game Pass the game will be a hit. I think it will be more accessible but with further chances for depth like say Skyrim. I think the co-op network factor and Game Pass will bring a ton more eyes to the game. Being a big Xbox exclusive in a seemingly more quiet year helps too. And I think Marketing leaning into the idea of “Borderlands meets Buffy” going forward will win over a lot more people.

All in all, is this the game I wanted when I heard “Arkane + Vampires”. Nope. But, the games we think we want and the games we actually want are oftentimes two different things, and I have faith the game will be awesome.

4 Likes

I asked Mr. Snax this on Grubbsnax and also about the delay. He says we can probably expect it before E3 (it was planned to be shown before then). He also says a delay would not surprise him as a reality of just… everything, but he hasn’t heard anything implying it.

Personally, I think we could see it at the Gamesradar Future Games Show on March 24th if they want to tie it to an event. Or they can release the news whenever really. But I think given the stuff shown at the Gamesradar show typically skews AA-Smaller Scale AAA, I think Redfall could really grab attention there. Sony did something similar with Returnal at the show last year and it seemed to work out pretty well for them.

Granted, Bethesda’s MO is to either save for E3 or just randomly drop a video whenever, but I think Redfall deserves more than just a “Hey, it’s Tuesday. Here’s the gameplay reveal.”

3 Likes

During E3

Dont you think We wont have time for such things with Starfield and other games requiring attention? Like I dont think Redfall is something you can showcase in 4 minutes.

Ideally this is not an issue if xbox has a spring showcase …

Im in the camp that the game is being delayed till next year.