Psychonauts 2 |OT| From the great minds at Double Fine

So started going back through the brains and collecting the missed ones and got the brains done now just knocking out the areas.

And the stuff does unlock… but you have to beat the game first. The issue I had is I tried going back before beating it and the levels didn’t completely revert back to allow you to get everything.

Overall really enjoyed the game and almost done with 100% it just got a few more things to collect in the outside areas and a couple of the odd ball achievements.

2 Likes

I really liked that it wasn’t redoing the levels, but it was different when going back.

1 Like

I have to admit that the way @javycane was describing the level I was expecting to not enjoy it, but I kind of like it :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

It’s probably my favorite level in the game. This character was really interesting, it looked amazing in terms of art, the music was excellent (both the uplifting sailing Zelda-like theme and the more sad music that played in the islands) and the platforming sections were really really fun.

1 Like

Tbh I kinda really liked Bob (the character) a lot but that first section with the boat and platforming on the moving water irked me :rofl:

I loved the Bob section. One of my favourite parts in the game.

1 Like

Bobs level was interesting and so many figments missed on the island. Went back to redo the level missing 16 and 14 where spread out on the islands looking like grass and in Palm trees.

But the level design overall was just fantastic between all the levels. So many unique ways to handle things it was a blast to play. Hoping to finish up the last few things in the morning and 100% it.

Maybe one day they come back to it and make a third game because honestly it was a great time playing both games this year.

2 Likes

I never played the original, but I’m at the end of the sequel, I think I probably have 40 mins or so left and this game so far is my game of the year! It’s easily the best game I’ve played yet this year bar none.

It’s creative, imaginative and well paced. Every world is different and unique. It also shows you don’t need to solely push graphically prowess when you have good Art direction to do some lifting.

I enjoyed the new Rachet and Clank game this year, but it has nothing on Psychonauts 2 for me personally.

5 Likes

See I liked all that lol. But yeah, Bob was an interesting character and I liked how the writers intertwined his alcoholism with the character and the level.

1 Like

So, first of all let me just say I never play games of this genre and let alone complete the game.

This has been a very unique experience with a expertly crafted world and levels. From what I have experienced in gaming I have never seen a platformer with a great story and I know its very hard to come up with a mature story to care about with games in this genre. Psychonauts 2 has done the impossible by creating a very well thought out world and characters and it deals with mature topics and plot. This in itself is a great achievement and needs to be talked about more.

I enjoyed most of the levels and some are excellent while I didn’t enjoy some (Compton’s Cook off). The levels are all unique and beautiful and this is one game where the unique art style is clearly superior to say shiny graphics.

A unique and a really fun game. Recommend everyone to play this game.

3 Likes

These are the levels I enjoyed the most in the game

• Hollis Hot Streak
  • Exploring the motherlobe for the first time
  • Fords Follicles
  • Strike City
  • Tomb of Sharkophogus
  • PSI kings sensorium - This level has me stop and stare at the scenery many times

Levels I thought that were decent to good:

• Cassies collection
  • Lucrecia’s Lament
  • Fatherland follies
  • Lobotos Labyrinth
  • Bobs Bottles

Levels I thought were okay or felt a little dragged:

• Comptons cookoff
  • Cruller’s Correspondence

Which levels have you enjoyed the most or disliked the most?

2 Likes

Mine lost would be very similar, just would move Cruller’s level into decent.

The cook-off definitely dragged a bit during the boss fight.

Ah the Grulovia ride was also a highlight for me, loved it

1 Like

The songs in Fatherland Follies did it for me :laughing: . The best level was PSI Kings Sensorium without a doubt, one of the best levels in any game I’ve played. I liked all of them though, so much variety and different themes yet with a depth to the storytelling. Same goes for the stuff outside of the brains, really fun and I enjoyed all the collectibles etc.

2 Likes

This game has the weirdest Easter egg.

2 Likes

Same, really liked most of them.

And was really floored because visually it edged the first one on creativity. The first one did dared more in regarding to mechanics (not always working great though) but to have a somewhat big project like this pooring creativity from all pores was really refreshing, as these days this level of creativity is only found in super small more experience-like games.

1 Like

Blazed through Psychonauts 1 and 2, got 100% on both.

For the longest time, I rolled my eyes when people talked up Psychonauts. I was a damn fool.

Both terrific games, and Psychonauts 2 is my GotY.

9 Likes

I took a bathroom break during the trailer at E3…

you should be on Geoff Keighley’s pre-shows, you’d fit right in :wink:

1 Like

Haha, well it turned out to be my GOTY so far so :wink:

2 Likes

Damn Finally beat the game. Awesome in every way.

Overall I was super impressed with the story. At first glance it might seem like a cute platformer but boy if you really pay attention it tackles some serious issues about the mind and ones emotional state of being. Didn’t expect this to be this deep.

8 Likes