Psychonauts 2 |OT| From the great minds at Double Fine

Not sure if people here already know this, but it’s possible to use levitation ball while not having it in the 4 active abilities. Just go to settings and there’s an option that allows you to triple jump into the levitation ball even when you don’t have it equipped actively.

I think it is kinda bad design for a platformer to put a core platforming and traversal mechanic like the levitation ball behind something you gotta keep active in the 4 abilities hence wasting a spot for another one you could use more situationally. This isn’t like the triple jump in Ori that you don’t require to traverse levels it’s something that just boosts the flow and allows for reaching platforms easier or those having secrets, whereas levitation ball becomes essential in certain platforming situations in this game where switching the ability in and out is just tedious. Also the walking speed is abysmally slow when in combat especially in relatively larger arenas hence the ball is forced to be used there as that’s the function of it on the ground, to give more speed to movement. So there’s very very little incentive for one to ever take it off from the active abilities, hence kinda going against the modular nature of that system where one spot is just doomed to never be replaced.

So I’m glad I came across that setting (someone on twitter recommended it originally) and the experience has been far better since.

2 Likes

So you’re telling me Psychonauts 2 is a fromsoft game? :laughing:

1 Like

Ok so I tried what you brought up and it doesn’t let you use levitation to just move faster on the ground as it seems to require the triple jump to trigger…?

The real levitation ball trick is that you can mix the pin colors.

4 Likes

Oh I forgot to mention that sorry lol. Yes, but there’s another toggle right below the triple jump one where you can press jump again and he’ll switch to ground mode while falling down. Don’t think there’s an option in this situation to just press a button and shift to it right from walking. Just gotta get used to pressing A four times for that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Finished it last night, definitely one of the greatest games of 2021 and my personal GOTY so far. Solid as a platformer, Psychonauts 2 even gets to make something that only a handful of games can do well: humour. Be it in dialogs or scenes or scenaries, every level is a delight to traverse and observe every little detail.

I loved the first one more than 15 years ago, and my expectations for this sequel were very high. And they surpassed it with even more than I was expecting. A game that exales creativity in each level.

We’re really fortunate to have the talented Double Fine team on Xbox Game Studios.

7 Likes

Just beat it great game I was one of the people who didnt know Double Fine that well but after Psychonauts 2 I cant wait to see what they did next 8.5/10 for me

1 Like

Psychonauts 2 complete. What a ride! :smiley:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Beat it last night, my GOTY so far.

Gameplay was rough at times but my god the writing was superb.

Hats off to the writing team.

Haha, the songs in Fatherland Follies were amazing!

Beat the game still have some collectibles left to get by have a feeling in going to be locked out from it from getting a bad bounce during the game. I’m assuming there is a bag tag in the final chest during the cooking level and I can’t find a way to replay the challenge to try to unlock the last chest. (Missed out on it because with 40 seconds left had the last ingredient took it to the pan had the gold circle and threw the egg… which proceeded to bounce off the pan shoot off to the left where I tried to grab it got a different thing which when let go hit the egg off the edge. So cooking another egg took me pass the time limit.)

But got most of the things without any guides so far and just a few collectibles left and either on to tales of arise or attempting greedfall which I bought a long time ago in sale before it hit gamepass lol.

All of the collectables can be retrieved going back into the brains. If something was in an area that you cant get back to, they move them somewhere else. When you revisit the brains they are just sectioned off into a handful of rooms, they are no longer connected like they were when you played the level.

I finished the game and liked it a lot. Great level design and characters. I do wish platforming was a little tighter though.

Bob’s level isn’t that bad.

Some of you are being extra about it.

1 Like

Its the weakest one tbh plus I hate the boat section.

1 Like

No worries, when you go back through the great unconscious the box will be open!

What? You hated the boat section? It was a quick travel between islands… what’s there to hate? lol

I liked the diversity of the levels, and his mind being themed as locked away in bottles in the sand was great.

The controls of the floating door could feel very slow and clunky at times. The raft/boat portion of the boss section didn’t feel good at all. I didn’t appreciate how the figments blended into the background so easily, but that’s the least of the issues.

I mean… it’s a floating door controlled by the mind. Would have been weird if it wasn’t a bit clunky. But I used it to get from one jetty to the next, not very complicated. The boss fight was just switching lanes?

The freaking figments in the palm trees though… I can agree those were messed up haha.

1 Like