PS5 + XSX die shots and discussion

Can we just settle on RDNA 1.45 then please? There are thousands of people raging out there.

1 Like

Def loving the full fledge RDNA 2.0 on the XSX :wink:

1 Like

I really don’t get the rdna.X comments.

For all we know, the only feature that ps5 gpu has above RDNA1 is raytracing.

And, the only feature that it has from RDNA2 is also raytracing.

So why not just call it RDNA1 with hardware raytracing? There’s no more spot on definition than that.

3 Likes

It wasn’t just normal users people like Jason Shiller have been swooping in trying to save face for Sony by trying to do damage control for them and hint that the PS5 hardware has amazing surprises.

3 Likes

lmao :joy:

There are also perf/watt gains for RDNA2.

I think with the gaming press it really comes down to who they are pals with and talk to. If they happen to talk more to Sony devs they will naturally hear them hyping their new box up. If someone hears a bunch of good praise for PS5 and nothing about XSX they are gonna assume it’s down to PS5 having some exotic new tech and pass that impression on in their coverage until it is corrected, if ever. I hope DF reaches out to Sony for a full official hardware breakdown now that the die shot is public.

1 Like

Those are more about the node improvements than an specific rdna2 feature, no?

BTW, how does ps5 gpu compares with 5700 and 5700XT in consumption? For performance it’s staying in the middle of them pretty consistently, and sometimes even below the 5700, but if it achieves that a lower tdp I guess it would be a good win.

AMD always cited them as a key feature of RDNA2 in their internal presentations. No idea on the other things ya asked about. :confused:

Massive contrast in how MS and Sony presented the hardware. While MS was allowing full teardowns, Sony was letting their fan boys speculate on what was under the hood.

The slow and wide vs. Narrow and fast was a fav analogy.

Another cracker was that the PS5 was an exotic piece of tech , while the Series X was a conventional brute force machine, using off the shelf parts.

6 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that Sony has adopted a strategy of purposefully not divulging much information (if any at all) and let their fans just speculate (false and erroneous speculation I might add) on things that are not there. That way they’re always in the conversation and when the truth eventually sets people free they absolve themselves because they never actually said those things.

4 Likes

Yep, it was by design.

https://twitter.com/Tidux/status/1222416357066727424?s=20

3 Likes

Well RDNA makes a good lesson to learn decimal systems 🤷

Yeah, we never heard anything about faster clocks = more performance beyond tflops when the 1X came out and then cerny says it and its gospel :rofl:.

1 Like

Blame game is ‘on’ on tweeter 🤦

If only, people were mature enough and hadn’t overlapped there love of platform with that of hardware discussion, we wouldn’t be in this place.

3 Likes

lol

The worst part of all that was defying all logic and decades of examples on the PC space.

But no, not valid because Sony came up with a magic solution no one else has where performance scales linearly with clocks.

“A tide that rise all boats”

2 Likes

Yea those faster clocks on the GPU AND CPU side for the Xbox One VS the PS4 certainly didn’t close any power gaps, why would people assume only GPU MHZ speeds for the PS5 would help?

Dealer made a video about it.

3 Likes

The meltdowns, denials and infighting among the cultists on Twitter is fun to watch.

3 Likes

Notice how MisterMediaX is not mentioned so much, now that they are looking for their own “Dark Silicon” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes