PS5 + XSX die shots and discussion

I totally agree with you on this. Dolby and DTS are 100% in on sound, there is no way Sony with Tempest audio and for MS with Sonic to do something better than what companies have spent decades on. They are industry leaders at what they do for a reason. Better to make the hardware to support high end audio and let the consumer pay 10$ for the support than try and make your own half assed version. Although Sony seems to have done good at selling their solution as people are lapping it up!

2 Likes

Yea it was just a way for Sony to try and save a buck on license fees

3 Likes

Let me see if I have this right regarding PS5 -

• No Infinite Cache
  • No RDNA 3
  • No Variable Rate Shading
  • Is more RDNA 1.5 than RDNA 2

If so, I already knew all this from following Rand, Jez, Dealer Gaming, TimDog, Colt Eastwood for the last 18 months so im not surprised whatsoever.

3 Likes

It is at the least 2/3 of the way to RDNA2. RDNA2 was always about RT, VRS and perf/watt improvements. PS5 has 2 of those 3 (arguably the 2 most important ones).

3 Likes

Okay. So PS5 has RDNA 1.67??? lmao. Joking aside, third party multi-platform games should be better on Series X across the board at launch while Sony’s first party games will make up for any shortcomings within the hardware.

1 Like

PS5 is RDNA2 but with some features missing and some features added (cache scrubbers).

Think of GPU architecture like a car, there are different models and each model can be customised e.g full wheel drive, bigger battery, better sound system etc etc.

Every gen people think these customisations will make big differences, people who side with the weaker on paper console are always chasing the golden goose with any little tweak or customisations.

It happened with the xbox one, with move engines, dx12, dgpu (lol) and it happend with the whole fp16 polava with the PS4 pro and now its happening with the PS5.

These changes are more for quality of life improvements and different approaches in console design.

PS5 will perform like an equivalent RDNA2, zen 2 PC with a nvme ssd and once Direct storage is widespread on PC.

2 Likes

AMD@7nm@Zen2_RDNA_APU@Oberon@PlayStation5@100-000000189_9JF8970V00437_S___DSCx2@IR by Fritzchens Fritz, on Flickr

3 Likes

Sony insiders trying to get their 15 mins of fame from Sony fans trying to swoop in and save face for them.

You could make a living off of defending Sony to Sony fans

The Sony insiders have pretty much been wrong about EVERYTHING, at least they are consistent

8 Likes

I mean, this RDNA3 thing is insanly BS from the start that I’m really surprised that it even made the light of the day, how on the earth the ps5 would have something that it is still on AMDs drawing board (LOL)? I’m inclined to believe that spreading this fud was intentional from sony “insiders” to take advantage of the dumbness of tinfoil hat twats and create confusion.

2 Likes

Some YT’ers literally do. Heh.

3 Likes

I mean, catering to morons is a huge business. Trump etc.

8 Likes

Ms spoke about the SX SoC in the last few days, and ended up shinning some light into this.

SX is the first xbox console where the CPU runs hotter than the GPU and was actually the component that limited the overall temperature and power drawn of the system.

And according to them the dual 256bit float point unit of the Zen2 was precisely the hottest point in the cpu and the contributor for most of the CPU consumption/temperature.

So in a scenario where you also have to increase the gpu consumption/temperature by a large margin to reach the desired clocks it makes sense to see the hottest spot on the chip compromised, so it runs cooler.

It’s missing sampler feedback and rpm for int types as well. Dunno how important those features will end up being if at all, but they are omissions on Ps5 gpu nonetheless.

2 Likes

I am not of the view that those are base RDNA2 spec so much as additional features MS added on top of the full RDNA2 spec. :slight_smile:

Perhaps, but they were all DX12U required features as well. Oh, and there’s mesh shaders too. Using compute to process geometry isn’t new and possible on any architecture that supports compute, but there are at least 3 new performance specific hardware features that was added to support the feature:

• Async compute threads are scheduled with lower priority than fixed pipeline threads (pixel/vertex shaders). Now there’s the possibility of making compute tasks with the highest priority possible (so even they are computed they have preference over any other thread, like when you want to complete the geometry pass asap)
  • In pre Turing, RDNA2 gpus there’s no way for a compute to feed the fixed pipeline directly, so when you process the geometry you must save it into an intermediary buffer, and then spam a simple vertex shader that just reads this buffer and feeds the rasterizer. There’s even one guy that implemented a mesh shader on pre turing gpus and noticed that with low geometry amount the difference from Turing cards was almost none, but with higher poly counts a difference was starting to appear (but that was an isolated benchmark, hard to tell how it will go when the polygon workload and extra memory access needs to be shared among other threads)
  • Related to the above, but it was also added the possibility of any shader to spam a new shader. This was also needed for DXR 1.1 (so for example a pixel shader might spam some thread that use the RT hardware), and in theory reduces the latency because it’s all done inside the gpu instead of the gpu reporting back to the driver (as in: CPU) that the workload was ready and then wait for the CPU to read the instruction and fire a new gpu thread.

All in all it’ a big list of hardware features that are not supported on Ps5 gpu right now, hard to say how much difference any of this makes, but combined it usually adds up into a non negligible difference.

4 Likes

Are those 3 things ya listed changes made specifically to support mesh shaders?

1 Like

XSX is such a beast of a system :slight_smile: so the XSX cpu > ps5 cpu with no FPU?

1 Like

Who was it on the other place that fed the masses with the idea that the PS5 contained some exotic tech that will surprise and astound?

I wish that the hyperbole was dialed downed. Both are nice machines with the Xbox Series X being more powerful.

No shame in that.

1 Like

Now that I’m thinking the last one was definitely due DXR 1.1. With the 2nd feature the compute shader wouldn’t need to spam a new one itself. So it would be only 2 features. Not sure if mesh shaders were the sole reason. But both MS, vendors and likely developers want gpus to go full compute or as much as possible, so those features are definitely needed for that goal.

Another thing that might have possibly changed, but that isn’t directly stated in the documentation is that hardware tessellation hardware might have changed with mesh shaders. The previous tessellators only worked on a small set of input data, and had limitations on how to increase the count.Their goal is to go full compute in that stage as well, so they are able to triangulate any input format (a simple mesh, berzier curves, SDF textures, etc). They claim that the amplification stage is a lot more performant and flexible than before already, but I’m not sure if that’s due the hardware changing, or they already moving to a compute based phase.

1 Like

An article about the die shots :

3 Likes