PS5 will not be backwards compatible with PS3, PS2, or PS1 according to Ubisoft

Never expected it to happen. As Karisma Williams mentioned on the Xbox ERA podcast, there’s a lot of legal work that goes into getting games to be BC. That’s in addition to the technical work that needs to be done.

I honestly expect to see PS3 PSN shut down in the near future. Sony has already shut down most of their first party game servers for it.

For real?

I’m still waiting for a 100% clear ann. from Sony on their B/C program. ResetEra people and the Twitter-Verse is not making me change my mind. They have been REALLY vague on their use of wording for their B/C program. Xbox has clearly stated at-LEAST 1K titles will be playable at launch. So…at-least I know there will be 1K Xbox games that will be playable via B/C. Plus, I have not doubts in my mind about the Xbox B/C Team to deliver the goods on a steady basis, like they did for Xbox One where as PS just seems to not care. Didn’t Cerny even say that AMD was the company doing the B/C?

2 Likes

This was expected Sony just doesn’t care about their back catalog and legacy outside of marketing every now and then.

2 Likes

The dream is dead.

But seriously, I’m more concerned about the state of PS4 BC than any fanciful dreams of anything more.

Yeah, it’s frustrating for sure. It would be nice to know if I can sell my PS4 or not.

I already went 100% Digital late last year and that GDC talk made me immediately regret it.

I would not

I don’t think I’m going to since I probably won’t get the PS5 until next year anyway. Price and availability will be key in that decision.

Sony already said there would be PS4 BC…and that was it. They talked about their BC strategy and PSX/PS2/PS3 never got mentioned. Never was any reason to imagine they were doing anything other than PS4 BC.

Outside of limited PS4 Backwards Compatibility, im not expecting PS/PS2/PS3 at all. If you want it, you have to pay for it - it’s called PS Now.

Man I’d kill to get one of those PS3’s that play PS2/PS1 games …although last I heard they’re ridiculously expensive on Ebay

Then again I’m pretty sure the majority of the best PS3 games are already on PS4 in some way shape or form. Just missing the Resistance series, Infamous, the Sly Cooper trio etc. I’m surprised Sony doesn’t just re-release these with a resolution/FPS bump. I would love to play the Sly trio again.

Yikeserino.

Granted its from 2017, but the guy is basically the head of PlayStation right now and I suspect he hasn’t changed his mind about BC, which is even more evident how they’re deprecating their peripherals as well.

As long Sony (Jim Ryan) would be open about it I have no issues with it - means Sony would actively announce it with a reasonable explanation.

But the dodging on this question is so untruthful. Exhibit a) The change in wording by Ubisoft in the FAQ was surely triggered by Sony.

4 Likes

The only reason I thought it might happen was because of that one slide Cerny showed about back compat. To me it looked like the spacing at the bottom of the graphic that the text was over would work out perfectly for adding the older systems. I was a bit shocked they didn’t announce it then, and then I figured they were just waiting to surprise people. I’ve never had a PS, and I’d have thought about getting one if it was going to allow me to play the best of five generations.

Very unfortunate, but expected. I guess I’ll have to keep relying on my PS2 and PS3 until they inevitably fail.

I see people mention this graphic a lot and was wondering why is it a thing? I mean it is just a Powerpoint slide, so it isn’t like they need that graphic to save for future use or something. Removing or adding the other consoles in there would require them to essentially re-do the graphic anyway.

1 Like

I get where you are coming from. I just noticed while watching that the spacing would have fit perfectly for them to add other consoles in that same graphic. I think I noticed it more, because if they weren’t planning to put the info on the slide, the spacing seems off.

Why cram the third line so tight against the bottom of the second if you aren’t going to add more below?

Edit: I’m not asking that question of you the reader as proof that it will happen, more directed at Sony, as in “why on earth would you make your slide that way if you’re not adding to it?” it looks… kinda amateur.

Maybe they were leaving the possibility open (maybe they still are), but would not commit to it. Or maybe the intern making the presentation wasn’t sure if there would be more to add below, and they just left it like that.

1 Like