PS5 hands-on are here!

Yeah, we will have to see if it is used extensively or not later in the generation.

I’m guessing that for accessibility reasons (there will be a small number of people who can’t game with this kind of feedback enabled due to various conditions that effect hands/fingers) there must be a system level switch to turn this stuff off, so the majority of games will play OK without. So if it becomes standard across 3rd party titles they may well look at it in new controller models. Then all that’s needed is a gamecore update to support.

I didn’t really read much on it, but what exactly is the haptic feedback here?

It’s a very ugly console thats for sure.

3 Likes

Technically already exists and has since the original Xbox. Haptic feedback in its simplest form for controllers is literally just vibration.

All Sony is doing is using variable speed motors like the joycons for the Switch have. Sony is just using the technical term as a marketing term.

2 Likes

Looking at them side by side, the PS5 controller does look a lot more comfortable to hold than the Dual Shock 4.

1 Like

No they dont. Watch the video. I used the switch Controller in 1,2,3 Switch in it’s nothing special but I do believe Playstation put a lot more thought in this and thus all games have a integration.

Putting more thought into the design doesn’t mean it’s something that hasn’t been done before. It’s the same concept as rumble HD in the joycons, they’re just variable speed motors. The DualSense might have more of them or the motors might have more steps but this isn’t some revolutionary new technology

2 Likes

How on earth can anyone defend that god awful design. It makes no sense from an aesthetic or functional point of view.

2 Likes

The design is just ugly. No bones about it. However, the initial feedback from the community about the controller is overwhelmingly positive. Even Gerstman liked it, and he doesn’t like anything …

Interested to see the impressions of the UI, loading, and actual launch software.

Revolutionary new technology, maybe not, but it is apparently really well done. Everyone is saying how cool it is. Also the triggers actually have resistance, not just rumble motors so they can create force feedback like an expensive steering wheel or HOTAS controller. That is something that standard controllers have not done before.

1 Like

Oh I’m not arguing that it isn’t well done, it definitely seems to be.

And this will seem a little nitpicky but the triggers are using force feedback, not haptic feedback. The difference is that haptic feedback is generally “skin deep” feedback and is almost always achieved through vibrations. Force feedback is strong enough to be able to be felt in your muscles, tendons, etc., and is generated by actual motors that are intended to “push back” against the user

Also interestingly, Microsoft has patented true force feedback triggers:

So it’s possible that these are planned to be incorporated into a later controller revision or a new Elite controller. Also possible that they didn’t feel they contributed to the experience in a significant way and decided not to pursue them further

2 Likes

For me, seeing the PS5 controller is one of the reasons why I decided to go with Xbox Series X as my primary console as I see the PS5 controller as nothing more than an overhyped gimmick that most developers will stop supporting within 12-18 months. I’m hoping that I can turn all of that Nintendo gimmicky stuff off. LMAO.

2 Likes

Didn’t I say the triggers have force feedback? Seems like the DualSense triggers have actual resistance that can push back on the finger. I think it is very cool, and I want to try it. I hope Microsoft follows suit if the DualSense catches on. I didn’t realize they had a patent.

The haptic feedback seems genuinely amazing.

I wish the Xbox had that, hopefully devs utilise it properly.

Yeah I was just clarifying since my initial post was only about the haptic feedback, sorry that wasn’t clear.

You are right about the triggers though, they do have actual motors inside that can apply resistance. And in either Ghostwire or Deathloop, I can’t remember which, the fire trigger will actually lock when your guns jam. Pretty cool mechanic in the game and force feedback triggers would’ve definitely been an awesome feature for both to make standard to encourage multiplat games to take advantage of them

Edit: it’s Deathloop that locks the trigger

That’s really unfair.

No he didn’t. He said something casually that lunatic fanboys on the internet ran with.

3 Likes

No, he didn’t. He made one joke under his breath (on a podcast that is often comedic) that gamers completely took out of context and set that shit straight on Twitter as soon as it gained traction in the fanboy community and again on the next episode. You’re really, really acting ridiculous about that.

Bakalar has never been an Xbox fan, but to act like he was railroading Xbox in this instance is being as unfair as those fanboys were.