PS5 hands-on are here!

You’re right. My bad.

I remember MS saying that on the new controller they put the A B X Y buttons a tad closer together (compared to the XBO controller) for faster button presses when going from one button to the next. And make it easier when doing commands that require A+B etc… In contrast the PS4/PS5 buttons seem really far apart. It’s amazing seeing the difference in philosophies between both and what each decided to improve upon.

2 Likes

Wow, the Series controller looks so good. I am not liking the black to white contrast on the dual sense, but it looks like an overall comfortable controller.

This delaying showing the console being tested is not positive, its just anoying.

1 Like

But that’s finally over next week :slight_smile:

Its not smart that they waited so long though, its does not really ad hype when we have already seen the console and games for a while now. I Much prefer Microsofts approach, where they just showed the hardware quite early, i mean these boxes are no real mystery and this attempt to create hype this way is so 90s, I think the market has evolved passed this.

2 Likes

Oh I agree with that. The way MS has been doing it is just so much better. Them sending out units to sources like DF is proof of how confident they are in their product. This doesn’t mean Sony is afraid of something or anything, however if DF still doesn’t have one next week…well, it would he extremely weird. But I’m fully expecting DF to have one next week and that we’ll get coverage on it.

Depends how you look at it. PS5 is going to dominate views now as you approach launch. But everything is sold out…

I dunno I can see merits in both approaches.

It may dominate views, but i dont think ot will really Matter.

ppl be like:

tenor (5)

3 Likes

who is the other one?

I believe it was Jez because he said it could warm his flat( apartment for us NA) but any electronic left running will warm the room its in.

Nah it was some French journalists.

1 Like

Yes their was a French journalist but people were also running with jez comments about it heating up his flat

Wasn’t it Jez talking to Rand and it was all taken out of context by others? Because…of course it did?

They did sent retail boxes to some streamers, but I guess for the press they were semi devkits to access unfinished software perhaps.

They waited until they had retail units ready and likely the most solid OS update possible. It probably had more to do with making sure the system was ready enough for public use than any move to generate hype that is already at a fever pitch. MS might have sent out preview units but those units are being sent back soon and still need to send out final units, if they have not already, to catch up to Sony here.

Like most situations, people will get it when it’s ready enough to be properly reviewed.

3 Likes

Many of the units out there are already retail units. Just the very first are the prototype units.

Don’t agree. Sony have stuck to their traditional schedule for a console release. MS have been super aggressive in getting units out for testing. The whole retail vs preview unit thing is completely overblown. It just means MS sent units out without the retail packaging - and my guess is they did that because they’ve got Halo infinite plastered all over the box and didn’t want to see a lot of snarky quips from the unboxings.

Sony aren’t trying to hide anything nor are MS behind in any way - the very opposite in fact.

1 Like

Sony just want to control their narrative and by doing their own teardown and ui video they achieve this. This also helps with their metrics on YouTube because if you want to see the teardown you have to watch their video. Then sony fanboys can all chant that the video has 6 million views vs DF 500k views of their teardown of xbox. Completely ignoring the austin Evans video that has 15 million views.

Microsoft knows they don’t have the subscribers on YouTube to do their own videos they send out consoles to every influencer so that they can market it for them by doing their own content. Its been very smart marketing by Microsoft if you ask me. Where as Sony for me has been irritating because of how vague everything is.

2 Likes

I’ve only seen coverage of the preview units, but wouldn’t be surprised if some people have retail units by now as well. That’s why I snuck in the “if they have not already” part :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: There could be confirmations out there, but I haven’t seen anyone with a retail unit yet.

I’m not trying to blow the retail vs unit thing as anything big, but there will be a distinct difference since the preview units have to be sent back and retail units will be then sent out. The preview units also had a more limited BC catalog, unfinished UI, and possibly fewer launch titles to test (I imagine availability here would be up to the individual publishers). So there will be differences than when retail units start appearing.

It wasn’t meant to be knock against MS that needs defending but instead a view on how what Sony is doing now isn’t really meant to be compared to what MS did a few weeks ago. One is a preview, these retail units are meant for review. Simple as that.