PS5 Back-Compat Details Announced

Hope Bloodborne is enhanced greatly.

1 Like

Auto HDR really seems to be Xbox’s own feature eh? That stuff is awesome.

It’s disappointing that Sony says select titles, it should be all BC titles. I mean sure, we haven’t seen ALL BC titles on XSX yet and can’t know all will benefit, but something tells me they all will. Even RDR2 that is native 4K,locked 30fps apparently according to people with a unit still benefits from XSX.

The X1 versions of Kinect Sports can be played with a controller.

I believe the framerate is unlocked in that game? So that should be smooth sailing now hopefully. I wonder the same about Dark Souls 3.

Neither PS/Xbox has really detailed much about games with dedicated BC patches yet. We know some of the possible features to expect for XSX and XSS but not a list of officially patched titles in any complete way I think.

I really hope b/c I have both on my PS4.

Basically your results may vary but they should work. at least they have something. nice

I’ll probably play Ghost of Tsushima for the first time early next year, if I can get a PS5 after Christmas. And The Last of Us 2, if the world ever becomes less bleak, I certainly don’t wanna play it now.

1 Like

Absolutely, and I’m sure that they’ll keep adding to it over the course of the generation. ML enhanced textures and perhaps geometry? It wouldn’t surprise me in the least, the BC team is fantastic and they genuinely care.

The only Kinect Sports game playable on Xbox One is Kinect Sports Rivals (although it also had a pre-release demo version), and I’m pretty sure that’s still not playable with a controller. I couldn’t find any mention of the supposed controller support whatsoever, apart from the ability to use it for menu navigation, but you can’t use it to actually play. While the game was still in development it was demoed to the press using controllers, but that option is not present in the final build.

1 Like

But the thing is, boost mode is the one that will improve framerates etc and it’s for select titles.

So far when it comes to BC on XSX it’s all the games the YouTubers with a unit have that benefit from all of this. So in this aspect Xbox is already offering more.

Unless I’m missing something here.

I don’t want to be a BC beta tester

2 Likes

I kinda see that as them enabling nearly all PS4 games to be available to have the argument of 4000 games at launch, but not really testing things at all.

3 Likes

Yes it is what I was thinking just for making good impression. We need DF on this with extensive tests and compare with MS.

2 Likes

The boost mode can only improve games that have unlocked frame rates, and games that have frame rate caps in place, but have difficulty consistently hitting those values (usually 30 fps or 60 fps). That’s why Sony claims that improvements are only coming to select games - the boost mode won’t be able to improve the performance of games that are already consistently locked at 30 or 60.

The “boost mode” improvements (there’s actually no special boost mode on Xbox consoles, they’re always “boosting”) are also like that on Xbox Series S|X, and the performance benefits can only be seen on games that are not already consistently locked. However, the Xbox BC team is also adding more enhancements on top of that. One of those will be doubling the frame rate of games that do have frame rate caps in place, but that’s only going to be available in certain titles (we still don’t have a thorough list of those games).

1 Like

I double checked and KS: Rivals lets you use controller for the menus but not the actual gameplay. I’ll take the L on this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The stuff for XSX being tested by YT’s etc are not optimized at all, i.e. no patches to tweak/improve the titles at all. MS has yet to really show off a comprehensive list/details on those games. Similarly, Sony has not mentioned what titles get this Boost Mode improvement to framerates either.

I hope so much they do this for RDR2. 60fps!

1 Like

Like @insane_cobra said, I think the Game Boost for Sony will be doing exactly what we see now with the Series X : boosting to 60 FPS titles with performance mode or unlocked framerates, and locking to a stable 30/60FPS when framerates were quite unstable. What MS talked about with select titles was literally titles with a fully capped 30/60 FPS potentially seeing their framerates being doubled.

I would prefer it if you were right, but hey… At least I can still play it using Kinect, although that’s not really optimal with my current setup.

1 Like

In their blogpost, Sony talked about select PS4 titles having improved loading times. Does that mean that not all PS4 games will have improved loading times ?