PS5 Back-Compat Details Announced

PS4 games playable on PS5 consoles:

The overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles.

• Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console’s Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate.
  • Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
  • Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required).
  • Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.

PS4 only games:

While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:

1. DWVR
  2. Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  3. TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  4. Just Deal With It!
  5. Shadow Complex Remastered
  6. Robinson: The Journey
  7. We Sing
  8. Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  9. Shadwen
  10. Joe’s Diner

Transferring Save Files:

Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console

• You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer.
  • You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive.

Limitations:

PS5 backwards compatibility limitations

• The SHARE menu cannot be displayed during PS4 gameplay on PS5 consoles. You can take screenshots and images by pressing the create button on your DualSense wireless controller to show the create menu. Additionally, you can use the button shortcuts to start/stop video recording or to save screenshots as follows:
    • Single press the create (DualSense) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4) to show the create menu
    • Press and hold the create (DualSense) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4) to take a screenshot
    • Double press the create (DualSense) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4) to start and stop video recording manually.
  • The HD Camera is not compatible with PS4 games – please connect a PlayStation Camera via a PlayStation®Camera adaptor.
  • HDR is automatically switched on for PS5 consoles. To turn off HDR, go to Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > HDR and select SDR .
  • The PS4 tournaments feature is not supported on PS5 consoles.
  • In-Game Live from PlayStation is not supported on PS5 consoles.
  • PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.

Thankfully, I only have The Division 2 which has been confirmed by Ubisoft to be BC on both platforms. Just hoping Ubisoft upgrades it for PS5 at some point.

• Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.

lmao

6 Likes

Saw that too and was “What the hell!?”

1 Like

It’s good to see something official. I’m still curious about some of their vagueness though.

I’m sure this is just them covering their butts, but I’d like to know what these errors entail if they’ve experienced them via testing. I’m not really willing to just trust them about anything at the moment. :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah that kinda suggests ‘the game experience’ itself might be subpar.

2 Likes

Does that mean they also have an auto-HDR feature, or is it just that for the games supporting HDR, it is automatically activated ?

No, it just means if the game has HDR mode, it gets turned on automatically. The auto-HDR on XSX/XSS is done via machine learning to make SDR games into HDR games. PS5 lacks any machine learning capabilities.

5 Likes

Thank you, I was confused for a second. Also for Xbox, all Xbox One games should also be there at launch right ?

Can’t wait for the DF analysis.

1 Like

Yes, I think all X1 compatible games (including OG Xbox and 360 BC titles and all X1 titles) are there day 1, except Kinect-required titles. If a game lets you play without Kinect (Kinect Sports) even those work. Just not Kinect-required stuff.

1 Like

Was this announced or is it just a random support page someone found?

1 Like

Seems to be support page that only got attention bc someone at ResetEra posted it, lol.

1 Like

It’s great that they clarified this. It’s been a long time guessing and worrying for nothing.

I hope boost mode is enabled for most games.

2 Likes

That is also the reason why MS has been releasing batch of backward compatible games to the testers every week, to make sure it is working as intended.

1 Like

Awesome that practically every PS4 game is BC, that’s great news. I’ll be interested to see how the performance looks and if games see the same kind of enhancements as on Series X.

1 Like

Sadly, there is still the rest missing, and Playstation had a really good backlog on PS1, 2 and 3.

1 Like

This is definitely better than folks thought 6 months ago, but also definitely not as robust as many expected from their PR in recent months. Saying these games work is great, but if some have problems and only a few have boost mode, that would be pretty bad relative to the competition imho.

3 Likes

Sounds like they are only blacklisting the games that won’t work at all, but for the ones that will work some issues and performance woes are expected.

However, that’s actually a lot better than what I expected it to be.

2 Likes

Not so sure about that. I don’t think that Sony cares as much about BC, and it shows