PS5 and Xbox X|S Pre Order Discussion

Pre order season is here! This thread will be used to talk all things pre orders.

PS5 for US retailers

Amazon

Best Buy

Target

Walmart

Xbox pre orders start September 22nd

Beginning on September 22, you’ll be able to pre-order Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S online at the following retailers:

– United States (8AM PT): Microsoft Store, Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, Target, Sam’s Club, Newegg, and other participating retailers

– Canada (8AM PT): Microsoft Store, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, EB Games, The Source, and other participating retailers

– UK (8AM BST): Microsoft Store, GAME, Amazon, Dixons, Currys PC World, Argos, John Lewis, Smyths Toys, and other participating retailers

– Australia (8AM AEST): Microsoft Store, JB Hifi, EB Games, Telstra, Harvey Norman, and other participating retailers

– New Zealand (8AM NZST): Microsoft Store, JB HiFi, EB Games, Spark, and other participating retailers

Across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, you can pre-order online starting at 9AM CEST at Microsoft Store, Amazon, MediaMarkt, GameStop, FNAC, Elkjøp/Elgiganten, and other participating retailers. Retailers and availability may differ by country.

For in-store pre-order availability please check with your preferred retailer.

Pre-order is also available via the Xbox All Access program. Xbox All Access is your all-inclusive pass to Xbox where you can get the next-gen Xbox console of your choice plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, with over 100 high-quality games and soon an EA Play membership, from $24.99 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost. As with our standalone console purchasing, you’ll be able to pre-order Xbox All Access starting on September 22, aligned with regional start times at the following retailers:

– United States (8AM PT): Best Buy, GameStop, Microsoft Store, and Walmart

– Australia (8AM AEST): Telstra

– New Zealand (8AM NZST): Spark

– UK (8AM BST): GAME and Smyths Toys

– Denmark (9AM CEST): Elgiganten

– Finland (9AM CEST): Gigantti

– Norway (9AM CEST): Elkjøp

– Sweden (9AM CEST): Elgiganten

This thread will be updated

1 Like

Preorders have been a shitshow - Wal-Mart went early, and opened the floodgates. Target followed, and Best Buy crashed within a minute of going up. Unbelievable the thirst for PS5 - funny to follow it on the Internet. I’m going to be one F5’ing fool tomorrow for Nvidia, but after today’s mess I don’t have a lot of hope. I have a script written on my laptop to continually hit several sites - will be a nice test for the X next week

I doubt MS is going to be any better simply because they’ve set a date and time. It will be even worse IMO.

I was able to get a ps5 randomly by just looking at target earlier today.

Also I expect/hope xbox to be a bit better just due to better planning on microsofts part.

God I hope so! It can’t be as bad as this PS5 fiasco

Somebody tweeted out the “add to cart” link for the PS5, and it actually worked. I secured one in case I cannot get a 3080 or a Series X. They sold out in less than five minutes, and the page isn’t even live on Amazon yet. But it shows up legitimately in my order history. Pretty cool

Hope someone does the same for Series X or 3080, because then I can cancel the PS5 I have reserved

1 Like

Like I said, there is no way it can be this big of mess right? Sony says the preorders go up tomorrow. They sell out tonight. I just can’t fathom a worse roll out.

I also managed to get a PS5 from Target. I wanted the DE but had to settle for the Physical edition.

Ima hold off on preordering the PS5 for the Series X, we have yet to see a teardown of the machine and know nothing on the cooling solution yet. The last thing I want is a overheating machine that can’t even match the Series X in performance.

It won’t be worse considering Xbox didn’t announce immediately after their reveal of prices. Retailers will have more time to prepare their servers for traffic.

As expected by me. Subsidies make no sense and they would cut to much into Sony’s margins. You don’t make that money back, because people buy 50 or 70% digital anyways. The solution? Have a cheap entry price for marketing, but very limited supply for that version

Yup

1 Like

PS5 pre-orders began a day early, and so far they’re a mess

That sounds about right. It has been way more difficult to secure a DE pre-order than a regular.

Also I think my favorite story of the night is how GameStop’s site started blocking everyone because they have DDoS protection.

Got my pre-order on Amazon. Now I wait for Tuesday.

Kage - I’m in the same spot. Seriously, it may be harder to get the 3080 tomorrow than either of the consoles. I’ll be watching like a hawk next Tuesday for the X

This is what I have been telling people for sometime about the DE. A lot of people seem to act as if the market share for digital purchases is 0% and Sony will be able to recoup the loss with all the new digital purchases, when in reality the market share for digital purchases is already approaching 70%. Sony is not going to vastly increase their profit margins this way because it is already happening.

Yeah, that baffles me as well. Even business savvy people don’t get it. You only get some 10 or 20% extra digital sales instead of physical, because the disk version also exists. You only make up the money for people who would’ve bought disks and now go for digital because it’s the cheaper console.

But there is some real benefit here. And that is perceived price and value proposition. That $399 is still a nice and cheaper entry point. Smart marketing for sure. And it was always a given. Microsoft had to cut SOOOOOOOO many corners to get the Series S to $299 $399 for the DE is never going to be profitable if you compare it to the same customer who would’ve bought the disk version.

Well, having been through the PS5 last night, and Nvidia this morning … good luck to ANYONE wanting the XBox at launch. You are going to need it. I will try for the X, but have little hope

• Best Buy has now crashed in minutes three times in the last two days, twice by PS5 fans, and once by Nvidia - wouldn’t even bother with them
  • Target sold out in minutes of the PS5 last night
  • Walmart started this mess, and has been “unreliable” at best
  • Amazon - I was lucky enough to get Wario’s link before the PS5 even went actually up for sale, or wasn’t going to happen there either. Minutes and whole stock is gone. Order is solid this morning though when I checked on it
  • Every single major PC Card seller crashed this morning …

MS will be terrible as well. I’m going to try for the X on Tuesday, probably watching everything like a hawk Monday night for when retailers inevitably jump the gun. But I have no hope. COVID has made people completely stupid … and MS is announcing times like Nvidia. I expect a total shitshow …

Nvidia was so bad, that it made the PS5 situation look tolerable.

Definitely holding on to the PS5 so I come out of this with SOMETHING. And for everyone complaining about Sony, I’m convinced I would have had no shot if there was an actual time and date. At least Demon’s Souls and R&C will take away some of the sting

I agree but you try telling some people that. They seem to think it is going from zero and it is all going to be additional profit for Sony when the reality is they may increase it by like 10% if they are fortunate with the uptake of the PS5.

It is marketing 101: Always advertise the cheaper price regardless of availability or features of the product. Although Sony knows it is a strategy Microsoft could copy because it is will be easy to make a DE Series X. Sony on the other hand cannot make a Series S competitor.

I’m a little concerned, I have a gift card for Currys that I will use to buy the XSX so if somehow the preorder doesn’t go through I’ll be quite upset! Fully expect some jumping the gun so will be F5ing from Monday evening and getting up on Tuesday around 6am. I would think more people will go for XSS though.

PS5 is $850 USD and $655 USD in my country. Meanwhile, SX is $695 USD and SS is $420 USD.

1 Like