Project Typhoon is officially Contraband, a new game from Avalanche Studios and Xbox Game Studios

apparently it’s been three years since this game was pitched, so I’m wondering how deep into production they’re in right now. I initially thought it’d be a 2022 game, but it’s looking more and more like a mid 2023 release for this.

A short CGI trailer with really nothing but a logo tells me it’s 2023. I just hope they show gameplay at next year’s E3 so I can see what it looks and plays like.

Never know considering RedFall is summer 2020 and all we got was CG.

1 Like

Says it will have Mad Max style vehicle combat and you seem to like that.

Yeah but they showed you the idea and premise of the game with Redfall. I’m not expecting Contraband in 2022 but we’ll see.

I know and im super hyped for it but have to see it after they screwed up the car combat in Rage 2. If it’s like Mad Max where you get armor, weapons, etc. oh hell yeah!!! Loved Mad Max!!!

Avalanche knows how to make extremely fun, adventure action games.

If you take the Just Cause mechanics and put it into a game that is focused on online heists, this will be chaos.

3 Likes

Last big game from Avalanche was in 2019 with Rage 2, in 2018 they also shipped Just Cause 4, so they have at least 2 teams. We don’t know if they are using all their manpower for this one and we don’t know what of these two team is making the game if it’s only one team or a part of the studio. It can be a 2022 game if JC4 team began the project in 2018 and then Rage 2 team joined the fold after finishing their game in 2019.

Hmm How about a little “Interstate 76” inspiration?

1 Like

Yea I think it’s the JC 4 team doing this

If this is their first new game announced since 2019 and it’s still to be released we can assume this is currently the biggest and the only one project in the studio now.

Hopefully they’ll do their best for this game to be well polished (from gameplay aspects, by narrative to technical side), because on the paper the idea sounds good to me. And also would be really nice if it’ll have good critical reception with 80+ average scores. Avalanche Studios’ games so often are on 70-level with latest disappointing Just Cause 4 at 68.

Oh, that brings back memories. That was a great game!

3 Likes

gta v

Dave Mongan (Narrative Director at Xbox Game Studios – Publishing), which was spotted by @Klobrille back in November, confirmed on his profile that he’s working on Contraband.

Previous description:

As Narrative Director on the Xbox Game Studios Publishing team, oversee all narrative-related elements for multiple XBOX first-party franchises, most recently the critically-acclaimed “Microsoft Flight Simulator” and an exciting new AAA open-world title yet to be announced.

Current description:

As Narrative Director on the Xbox Game Studios Publishing team, oversee all narrative-related elements for multiple XBOX franchises, including the upcoming open-world smuggling adventure “Contraband”, the critically-acclaimed “Microsoft Flight Simulator”, and other exciting AAA titles yet to be announced.

8 Likes