Project Typhoon is officially Contraband, a new game from Avalanche Studios and Xbox Game Studios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-vpS3RamA

1 Like

Iā€™m so excited to hear how this will work.

I can see this work. Seventies setting, big car chases with cops after you pull a heist. Remember this studio also created Mad Max a couple of years ago. Underrated game if you ask me, but has some of the mechanics you would need. The car battles were great, and upgrading your car worked really well (seeing the trailer i think adjusting your getaway vehicle may be a thing as well).

Looking forward to this one. The fact Steely Dan was in the video may have a thing or two to do with this as well :smiley:

6 Likes

Yeah, I am very much okay with the concept. Just need to know and see more before I get any hype going. The studio is hit and miss for me.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Iā€™m still not certain as to why this game was codenamed Project Typhoon. Itā€™s actually quite different from what I was expecting, but thatā€™s ok since I really like what was mentioned.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really pumped for this based on the little we know. The reveal was great with a bit of steely Dan.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1404564913448701952?s=20

5 Likes

The more I hear about this game it just keeps pushing thhe right buttons for me. 70ā€™s soundtrack, heist theme, possible weather effects. Whew!!

1 Like

It was an announce trailer.

I just found something very little thing, but quite interesting for me. As we know every trailers for Xbox have Xbox outro animation and Microsoft logo. I re-watched Contraband teaser trailer again andā€¦

I really like that small easter egg! :green_heart:

Maybe @Klobrille or/and others would like it too.

6 Likes

Could easily see this blowing up like Sea of Thieves.

1 Like

We havenā€™t seen a single frame of gameplay Hindle

The general premise around heists and co op hasnā€™t really been explored. Has potential to be so much fun

1 Like

True the concept sounds nice so hope they manage to wow us.

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting Fast and the Furipus vibes which has never really been copied in the industry

1 Like

Initial description of this game from Xbox Wire and Windows Central sounds to me like literal grand theft by auto and some kind of spiritual successor of Smugglerā€™s Run.

Avalanche Studios doesnā€™t design such a bad open-worlds. Theyā€™re doing them quite good. If itā€™s going to be third-person with good narrative writing and if itā€™ll be very polished in terms of technical aspects then we could have decent and enjoyable new original IP.

2 Likes

Not really tbh, the heists are super simple and most of the times you wonā€™t even start them because people leave the lobby lmao

Did Jez ever explain why he used the typhoon emoji? I donā€™t see any relation of a typhoon to this game.

Yes he did. Its the location, where a lot of typhoons happen.

2 Likes