Prediction: Xbox will stay head to head in hardware sales

Only after MS stopped selling them. They ended up basically both tied at 86mil iirc. Regardless though, Sony can’t lean on Japan to help them this time around. The volume just ain’t there anymore. I think ppl underestimate MS’s 1P output too. Here in a couple yrs I think they will shock lots of onlookers with their consistent quality just like Sony did during PS4 cycle.

2 Likes

The offerings and investment Xbox has done in its division only happened because MS as a whole can take large scale risks with its massive revenue streams.

Sony can’t do that level of risk, they depend on Playstation being a profit center for Sony and if they take large scale risks, it hurts the division on a greater scale.

With that being said, I love how Phil Spencer is like a spoiled kid using his dad’s (MS) credit card in gaming.

This seems like a post you wrote in a google doc, spent some time editing it, and then rehearsed it a few times like its your thesis.

Nice fan fiction, and agreed with the other poster, seems like you’re trying really hard to convince yourself.

1 Like

I’m even more convinced Xbox is going to do better, the only people who fight endlessly about specs/timed exclusivity/design are a small subset of the entire gaming population. The masses are casual gamers who play games on their phone and aren’t tied to brand loyalty.

What the masses care more about is price + value and those make up the millions in sales. The $299 console + Game Pass was built for those type of people. Most parents with young children will rather get a cheaper next gen console with Game Pass and will have a peace of mind because of the family settings app.

They won’t, but I’m sure as hell they are gonna do much better than this gen. If Sony sales 120m and Xbox can reach 80-90m, I see that as a total win compared to the more than 2:1 difference between X1 and PS4. You also have to think that Xbox cares more about people buying into their ecosystem than their consoles, so beating Sony in raw console sales is not their priority.

1 Like

Predicting Microsoft to do even worse this gen now that they have the price advantage overall, power advantage at same price, Game Pass and no bizarre anti-consumer strategy from 2013 seems tremendously silly.

The reality is that people tend to look at whatever the current status or trend is and just predict that to continue forever. And yet Sony vs Microsoft went from 150m - 20m to 87m - 86m in one gen. Nintendo went 20m - 110m - 13m - 60m+ and growing.

Nobody sees change coming until it comes, and then they knew it all along.

Suffice it to say, I strongly doubt that the new strategy from MS will have a negative overall effect on their competitiveness.

5 Likes

Honestly don’t think Xbox will sell close to PlayStation.

At this point social media engagement from Sony fans on xbox’s own twitter posts sadly drowns out actual fans excited for the upcoming xbox stuff.

If I was running the Xbox twitter, I’d just block them, to keep engagement between fans.

That being said, don’t these fanboys have anything better to do?

They must be following the page with notifications, they are literally in there within the first minute, it’s quite sad.

But I wouldn’t mind being pleasantly surprised, if it is close or keeps up.

I also don’t think polls reflect series s at all, as it is a system aimed at a casual/budget audiences, if you’re following John or on this website, you’re more likely really into gaming/xbox in general, so will be more invested/interested in the big boy machine.

I think with sony charging €80 a game in Europe and Microsoft pushing €10 a month for game pass. Microsoft could gain alot of market share in Europe because of the way the economy is going. That’s not to say they will outsell sony but they will at least fight a little bit more. If Microsoft drops live plus a series S at €299 I think they might see huge success. I know my family in Spain don’t have 4k tvs and dont seem to be in a rush to get one. Series S is the perfect console for a pandemic riddled world

1 Like

I don’t think so.

Well, maybe if Halo Infinite launched this holiday and did a great job with critic reviews and popularity.

But with Sony Spider-Man + Demons Souls launch-lineup and without Halo, i predict Xbox is going to do 1:2 or 1:3 of Sony sells this year.

I also think, this time around, Series S will do particularly decent in Japan because of its price, size, the fact that most Japanese folks don’t own a TV anywhere close to 4K, and Game Pass and xcloud when it eventually arrives. All Xbox needs now is some strong japanese support, fuck Square Enix, get Sega on board, be as aggressive on that front as possible. Maybe legit start a studio there, or acquire a small studio headed by a well known japanese dev (Itagaki/Valhalla, Sakaguchi/Mistwalker and the like) and bring back some classics from the 360 era, like Lost Odyssey and Ninja Gaiden.

1 Like

That’s not the way launch years work at all. Even with Xbox ones botched launch it sold just about the same amount of units in 2013 as PS4.

It’s going to be about units produced. That is all.

3 Likes