[PLEASE READ STAFF POST] Microsoft says they have committed to Sony that they will keep Call of Duty and other titles on Playstation "beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

That was my point lol - any new and unannounced IP going exclusive is not suddenly MS reneging against FTC as you cannot control if they will be ‘popular’ or not :sweat_smile:

They essentially did say that. They could also have said ‘we don’t intend to pull any games off of existing services’ and then just left it at only that too. Yet they went further. The message they are sending to the FTC and Congress is pretty clear and MS understands that, unlike gamers or gaming press, the powers that be won’t go in looking for ways to re-interpret the broader message, which is that MS has forgone exclusivity wrt ABK in favor of making sure the deal gets done. I don’t think they would be dumb enough to send that message and then years later have to renege on it as the FTC would just dissolve the deal if that happened.

That all said, if the dev teams wanted to make a new IP that was leveraging Xbox-specific tech in a novel way (ML or the Cloud even) I am sure MS would allow them to make it exclusive if the team wanted that. I think ppl should see this as a deal made in the battle for subscription services though, and in that marketplace ABK is 100% exclusive now. I also think MS/Xbox/GP wins big by having games on both PSX and Xbox ecosystems with the GP version being included at no cost and the PSX version being $60-$70. That side by side for game after game after game could be super potent.

It depends how MS frames it to the FTC. If they convince the FTC that the deal won’t affect the competition by saying nothing will change wrt publishing arrangements, then sudden Xbox exclusives might be a problem.

lol

[check who you quoted] :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

LOL Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Yep… I don’t see how “COD and popular A/B IPs” has evolved into all IPs including new and unannounced go multiplatform.

The statement just doesn’t say that.

But it’s not just COD, the other games OW, Diablo, imagine WOW Reboot or what future of WOW would be multiplatform.

GAAS Games expect to be multiplatform.

lol rest assured, there will not be sudden exclusives out of thin air - your last phrase sounds like as if FTC will be restricting what MS can do with any new titles (not already available on Playstation previously) and killing their competitive edge in the process. That would be an overreach lol.

A lot of ABK’s real needle movers fall under the ESO/Fallout76 banner so it was always going to be a mostly multiplatform driven acquisition.

Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, WoW. That’s all stuff that wasn’t going to go exclusive. There’s wiggle room with Diablo, Starcraft, and new IP for future exclusivity in the Blizzard camp.

On the Activision side Warzone was guaranteed to remain multiplat. Today’s comments suggest the whole enchilada will remain multiplat. The rest of their Acti IPs aren’t kid/teen focused stuff that I hope people are tripping over possibly being multiplatform. Like if the next Skylanders is on everything it shouldn’t be an indictment on how serious Microsoft is about the sucess of Xbox.

1 Like

I want this guy to be my divorce lawyer

Where are you getting this from?

anyway a lot of folks needs to prepare for a future with GP on Other platforms. what content they would bring ? content from the publishers not under XGS Banner, XGS Studios games would remain exclusive to the console.

it’s clear MS want GP on PS or Switch but both of PS/jimbo and Nintendo don’t want to do that

windows phone is back baby!

COD, OW, Diablo sure, console port of WOW yep agreed. Anything say single player only, I think is exclusive

2 Likes

Hearthstone is a mobile game, while it’s massive (over 100M players) it isn’t something needs to be on Playstation, likely it’ll get a Switch port though but then again anyone can play it on their phone or tablet too, and even a potato PC can run it

Starcraft I absolutely don’t see going to consoles at all, then again rumors of an AOE4 Console port float around so who knows…but again likely Xbox/PC similar to AOE4

Heroes of the Storm I don’t see a console port tbh, but absolutely see it going to mobile, xCloud

Blizzard New IP and new games in existing franchise ei Starcraft Ghost 100% Xbox/PC

Really I think people are tripping over this not realizing this primarily focused around COD and to an extent Overwatch, games that they can literally make into platforms ei Minecraft

Jez crying in happiness.

2 Likes

The solution is obvious

Buy the FTC

Evil laugh ensues

2 Likes

they do need some funding, they blow half of their budget.

1 Like

That’s what the campaign donations are for :philwins:

Being real, even for COD, its weird MS funding new single player games for it and putting them on PS.

Its just counterproductive.

2 Likes

Its simple everyone.

Existing games/existing contracts stay as they are.

Any new games after that will only be available where GamePass is available. Xbox, cloud, PC.

If Nintendo or Sony want new titles they need to support xcloud or GamePass on their platform.

Nobody can force Microsoft to waste development resources porting their games to other platforms

2 Likes