[PLEASE READ STAFF POST] Microsoft says they have committed to Sony that they will keep Call of Duty and other titles on Playstation "beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

Oh I agree with you, trust me…but there’s plenty of people that are like “buuuuut” or “hey wait a minute….”

1 Like

Ignore

Ok I’m starting to see why some are skeptical of the wording. Either way Xbox players shouldn’t be worrying about this since nothings on the line here.

1 Like

I do not, no. Not based just on their language, but based on the clear message they are sending to the FTC and Congress. We can cherry pick it all we want but the FTC won’t tolerate linguistic gymnastics like that, and MS knows that.

The blog post is about the ABK deal, first and foremost, and seeing that it sails through the process (which it will, especially knowing what we do now). It is crystal clear that they conceded exclusives as to get the deal through. And that definitely the right move for them (and for us Xbox gamers).

Yeah again. None of that changes how I interpret it.

I can completely understand why many would interpret it that way.

But I also feel many are ignoring the timing and context.

2 Likes

Hmm then again its pretty definitve from Tom Warren. The answer to this is probs somewhere in between. Like maybe COD remains multi, but a new IP from say Toys for Bob is exclusive?

1 Like

MS is not trying to mislead the FTC or Congress with this. Not just the blog post, but their formal efforts to lobby for the deal have now begun. They are giving interviews, making tweets reiterating their message to regulators, talking to think tanks that they feel could influence the new legislation, and talking to Congress. This is the stance they are taking and there is not really any wiggle room to deviate from the message on offer when it comes to the FTC in this regulatory environment. Misleading them would lead to the deal being struck down after it closes.

3 Likes

It’s strange that some people are more upset than they were before the acquisition.

Even if all ABK games (past and future) became multiplats…

… think of it as a permanent deal with ABK for all of their games to be in Game Pass and have Xbox marketing.

Isn’t that good enough?

I wouldn’t be surprised if that alone has a bigger effect than Zenimax.

5 Likes

I like to imagine how folks would feel if things played out in a different sequence…like what if MS announced ABK 100% day 1 on GP, then a day later announced GPU perks for ABK games coming in the future, then announced the full ABK BC catalogue was coming to GP, then announced they would work with ABK to make sure Xbox version is the lead platform with full tech integration, then announced that thanks to MS’s support they would be booting Kotick and letting dev teams do what they wanted, then announced they were working on new IP’s and some old IP’s, etc.

Like, how would ppl act if things played out in that sequence where we end up at the same place? I bet the tune would be entirely different for some.

2 Likes

There will be some IP which will be exclusive from Activision/Blizzard… COD, Overwatch, Diablo it seems not…

That much is clear.

Hoeg says otherwise:

https://twitter.com/hoeglaw/status/1491579082584252418?s=21

1 Like

So the counter factual is interesting to consider. What would you do if you were Microsoft in this situation? Activision was for sale and if Microsoft doesn’t buy them then someone else will. The timing of course is unfortunate because the governments around the world are planning to regulate American tech companies. I think the thought of another company owning Activision hurts Microsoft’s future plans for Gamepass but now that they need to make regulatory concessions the deal is constrained and won’t have its optimal impact on the Xbox brand. I say this will make Xbox pivot and buy EA . EA was one of the more unappealing publishers because of its multi platform sports titles. Now that the government seems to be restricting Xbox from making these mega companies exclusive then why not embrace this new reality and grab EA for Gamepass. It’s the logical next purchase.

1 Like
4 Likes

I don’t think he concluding anything there. He referring to setting expectations. His video today made the same points I have wrt the notion that MS is playing loose with language to the FTC (they aren’t).

I will say the only place any rational wiggle room exists is wrt new IP. Everything else is now cut and dry and folks should just get on board with it and not hitch their wagon to specific phrases or words.

Well said. The Xbox platform, the console, the developers, the diversity of IPs, the value of Game Pass…they’re all in a much better state after this deal closes.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but you can’t build a metaverse by being a 3rd party player. Satya Nadella has made it very clear that these acquisitions are to feed the metaverse. The Xbox as a platform isn’t going anywhere if that is indeed their intention.

2 Likes

That was Zenimax.

3 Likes

Seems kinda weird to make that statement which on the surface seems like they will continue to release multiplatform just to go “actually we meant it like this” and start making stuff exclusive after its approved. I feel like the FTC would then not really believe any lobbying that Microsoft does after that.

1 Like

COD being a Minecraft situation does make the most sense. Its just the other studios and anything new they make.

I am not saying MS is playing loose with the language, but they could have said all ABK titles will be available on Playstation and Switch in the future instead if that is their true intent, right?

Why say CoD and other ‘popular’ titles instead?

You cannot say I am cherry picking here because when this deal was announced, Bloomberg later had an article that reportedly mentions some titles going exclusive and some multiplatform :man_shrugging:t2: