Playstation 5 Price Speculation Thread

i don’t see this happening.

That’s why they plan on Lockhart, and also this:

Lockhart is an excellent plan but you need launch momentum from the series X. If the majority of people this holiday switch from Xbox to PS5 then you’re relying on building a library of quality Xbox games to tempt them back - that’s years away and in the meantime you are in danger of losing 3rd party support especially gamepass.

I think they need to be very aggressive on price personally.

Oh, I’m sure that’s the very reason they haven’t announced the price yet.

Nahhh, that price is just way too good to be true. Although they could theoretically do it if they wanted to be REALLY aggressive with price

You have a tendency to be right with predictions, I’m going with your bet!

The price scheme from the OP would be hilarious in many ways. If that happens the meltdowns on the other place will be huge, I mean magnitudes of huge LOL

They get ppl paying tons of cash in Game Pass subscription annually. That more than makes up for it in a few yrs time. I think ppl need to note that this gen is totally different than past gens in this regard. Price points can be lower because they are guaranteed to get subsidized by subscription revenue en masse. The retail market has all but evaporated too, so Sony/MS make a lot more on sales than they used to.

I really doubt it would come out at 399, but as a Canadian I would not complain :stuck_out_tongue: I think their ace in the sleeve is Lockhart, if it comes out at 299 or less, they could grab a big chunk of the casuals market, and some people who weren’t thinking of upgrading early.

NA wise, I believe that Series S will be $300 and Series X will be $500. Don’t see Microsoft going past $500 no matter what. As for PlayStation 5, I see Sony selling the Digital Edition for $500 and the Disc Edition for $600. Sony wants pretty much everyone who buys PS5 to go Digital (im expecting a 3-1 manufacture ratio) and the best way to do that is not by making it cheaper ($400) but by making the Disc edition more expensive ($600). We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

What I’m thinking also, 300 and 500. Sony said they wanted people to move to next gen faster than ever (hence why Spider-Man is ps5 only) though, I would be surprised if they went over 500. Last time it bit them in the buttocks pretty hard. I’m thinking 399-449 for Digital and 499 for Ps5.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if PS5 is $400 and $500 but the console itself is over $450 before packaging, shipping and distribution. The disc drive is around $20 or so. I just don’t see Sony taking an $80 loss on every digital console. Granted, they’ll make it back easier but majority are going all digital anyway and best way to ensure that is by overpricing the Disc Edition. But we’ll see. Hopefully soon. LOL.

1 Like

400€ equates to ~$470 USD. I think it’s doable.

500€ for PS5 is high though. That brings flashbacks of “Five Hundred and Ninety Nine U.S. Dollars”

1 Like

mhmmm, but value added tax is 20% in france. so that wouldn’t add up to 470$.

French here. Basicaly when it’s 400 us dollar they convert to 400€, 1 us dollar for 1 euro, every gaming company, every time.

Ah okay. Yeah, in that case, $400 seems way too low for a Series X.

I agree, but it’s not the first time a rumour speaks of a 400 dollar Serie X

source : Xbox Series S/Lockhart Will Be Half The Price Of The Series X; July Event Will Be A "Night Of Mic Drops" - Rumor

Of course this is just rumour and probably false. We’ll probably be fixed soon

There are a lot of rumors about price, and to avoid having multiple threads about price we are turning this thread into a Next Gen Price speculation thread

1 Like

XSX- 499 / Lockhart - 399

Ps4 - 449 / PS5 DE - 399

Probs not true but could see it though they would be taking a loss in each unit.

I think the reason I can see it is due to when the ps3 went high price and struggled. With consoles whose main selling point is the price its dangerous to go high.

Its all well and good peeps on here or twitter understanding and knowing why the prices are boosting but the large proportion of casuals who make up more of the player bases such as kids/teens, parents and the casual fifa/cod brigade are not on twitter or Google looking up Info all day every. Hell, parents won’t care what it’s got in it and will scoff.

I hope they don’t go to high, the need to be as low as they can, rarely is profit made off the hardware and has gone at a loss before.