PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

1 Like

1st, 2nd, 3rd Party: As far as I remember there was no “2nd Party” originally, mostly because there was no distinction between internally developed games and contracted games. To be honest 1st and 3rd Party wasn’t really a thing either but those did come first. The entire “__ Party” thing came up as console wars and media coverage increased. As time went on narrower and narrower definitions started to come out as to identify which games might be coming out for a particular console. 2nd Party is a thing, and now we have “indie”, “timed exclusives”, and “marketing deals” too.

2 Likes

Concord is being sent out to die at $40.

5 Likes

At least it’s not $70.

3 Likes

I am trying to remember if back in the 16 bit days I even used the word exclusive…and I am pretty sure that I didn’t. I guess back then it was just Nintendo and Sega games.

But yeah I totally agree that things are way too complicated nowadays if you want to describe in which category a game belongs…1st party, 2nd party, 3rd party multiplatform, console exclusive, timed exclusive, 3rd party exclusive (which I guess today it’s something like Rise of the Ronin and/or FF7 Rebirth), indie, AAA, AA, GAAS, open world, linear, wide linear, boomer shooter, looter shooter e.t.c. oh man…I wonder how someone who is not familiar with the industry would react after seeing all this. lol

I never expected that games like Helldivers 2 and Palworld would be so successful (and good games as well at what they do) and yet here we are so I guess in today’s unpredictable gaming landscape anything is possible.

3 Likes

I was tracking the pre-orders on SteamDB.

The highest global sales peak was #536 on 06/06 - 2:17 PM PT - Day 1

It went down considerably at #682 on 06/07 - 1:10 PM PT - Day 2

Concord then dropped out of the Top #1,000 after Day 3 (ouch)

So much is riding on the early beta access next month - cus so far, this does not look like a Helldivers 2 situation. I wish the studio luck tho, hopefully the PS5 numbers are faring better.

1 Like

Likely an even older build than the previous leaks because visually…way worse than that. Also, honestly just looks a lot like their Spidey games.

https://x.com/404LEAK_/status/1801990166258782513

And people dog Ubisoft for cranking out formulaic, identical looking games…

8 Likes

It will and die by the beta. If that beta is bad, then the game is DOA. However, if there’s good word of mouth they might have a shot

To add to this, I always found it a bit disingenuous to keep calling Insomniac “the most efficient studio in the industry” as has been repeated ad nauseam. I’m not dismissing the majority of their work, but when you get to use the same exact world map for three games, it’s certainly a hell of a lot easier to do than say, make three games in that same timeframe spanning different genres, or at least different locations than the previous game (yes, there’s an Xbox studio fitting that bill).

I mean, it’s efficient but not in the “we made three totally new games in x years” way that cultists and the media pretend.

7 Likes

Astro’s Playroom is not the first Astro Bot game.

It’s this one:

Easily one of the best platformers last gen and one of the best PSVR games overall.

It’s got a 90 on metacritic.

So yeah…having played both games can safely say that I’m really hyped for the new game.

3 Likes

I know it is still in dev but I think it looks awful, especially animations.

1 Like

Its very early dev, I wouldn’t put too much stock in it. I’m not sure what I expected but perhaps the more disappointing element for me is its spiderman in wolverine clothing.

7 Likes

Just finished Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and I thought it was overall a very good game. It looked pretty and ran very well in 120fps mode, and while I thought the combat mechanics were good, the battles themselves left a lot to be desired. It was essentially: move to new platform, fight a bunch of stuff. Move to new area, fight a bunch of stuff, over and over. It felt a lot like a Lego game at times and that’s not a good thing.

Having said that, for a launch title, I thought it was great. I might even play it again when they inevitably remaster it. :smile:

2 Likes

It wasn’t a launch title. Don’t remember how far after launch few months at least.

1 Like

Ah, launch window then I guess. :smile:

1 Like

I like to reminisce about November 2020 and December 2020. It was one of the all time fun gaming launches in my opinion for both Xbox and PlayStation.

PS5 did have a good November launch with Astros Playroom and Miles Morales. Xbox in December had the amazing game of the year Cyberpunk for Series X. Love those two months of gaming.

It’s important to remember PlayStation had fewer games than you remember and Xbox had more :smiley:

I loved Rift Apart. An excellent 9.0/10 for me. Released in June 2021. Shame that a new one is like a decade away. UGH. :sob:

1 Like

What 10 years? Insomniac Games sure is lazy…. :rofl: jk

Haha. Their roadmap has a few other games before the next Ratchet game.