PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

Sony Fiscal Year 2022 is April 2022 through March 2023.

4 Likes

It would have to include Bungie, it would be impossible to reach 300M in one fiscal year.

Ok couldn’t find it but I remember that, in their last fiscal year report someone asked if Destiny 2 counted in that revenue and Jimbo immediately shut him down by saying no…but he did said 2 unannounced GAAS games would propel PC revenue to that point.

So who knows what they will do, but so far. I dont see them reaching those numbers even if Returnal and Sackbot (weird decision to port this) launch in the upcoming months.

Edit: I know I wasnt crazy! https://i-itm.com/sony-estimates-its-pc-games-sales-will-jump-375-over-next-year/

but SIE president Jim Ryan later confirmed that these estimates do not account for sales of either Destiny 2 or its DLC.

Jim Ryan indicated that this drive would be fueled in part by the previously announced PC port of Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (including both Uncharted 4 and its semi-sequel The Lost Legacy ), along with two “unannounced” games. Ryan did not clarify whether the two games in question are merely unannounced ports of existing PlayStation console games or whether they may be entirely new games or franchises slated to simultaneously launch on PC and PlayStation.

And now this begs another question :v were those two games spiderman and spiderman MM? Because if so…they really overestimate their reach to the pc audience.

4 Likes

Maybe they are expecting some MP games to hit (like TLOU Factions) that will generate more revenue than these standalone releases. Hard to tell what their lineup looks like when we don’t know anything beyond GoW.

Factions does not seem to be ready to launch before March 2023 according to Neil’s last statements, My bet would be on Helldivers 2 which appeared on the Nvidia leak and it seems the team behind the first part were buffing it to be far bigger than the first one and…maybe Guerrilla’s multiplayer project? Impossible to know if PC gamers will be interested in masses to help SONY reach those numbers (if they will appeal to the pc crowd)

Maybe TLOU Part1 also releases before march…

Completely random gripe about Horizon Forbidden West…

I had noticed from the trailers and watching game play online what I can only describe as a “green screen effect” whenever there was a closeup or cutscene with Aloy. Her character model and the detail on it looked great, but she did not actually seem to be in the same shot as the background - like they were spliced together at some point in the production process.

I don’t know anything about the nitty gritty of game production, so I had no idea if something like this was actually happening in production, if it was an artistic choice (something to do with how the scenes were focused or framed), or if was just entirely in my head. But it was driving me crazy. Once I noticed it I couldn’t unsee it.

I finally downloaded the demo of the game the other day to try it. I had actually half-way convinced myself that it couldn’t possibly look like that in gameplay - it had to be some weird YouTube artifacting or something. After all, if it actually looked like that surely someone else would have mentioned it, right?

But nope, I noticed it almost immediately when I started playing. It took me just a few minutes of actually playing the game to figure out what was causing it. For some (insane?) reason, the devs choose to backlight/edgelight Aloy’s hair so much that there is practically a halo of light around her at almost all times. This causes her to not completely blend in with the backgrounds. This is, in fact, very similar to the weird edge effect you see on with some green screen shots in movies. So, apparently I am not nuts.

I haven’t played enough of the demo to know if this is an issue throughout the entire game or with every character - but it is there on at least one other character. Her companion in the tutorial section of the game has a fur collar on his coat. The exact same back/edge lighting is on that fur, causing the same green screen effect.

FYI, this will not stop me from eventually playing the game (I loved the first one), but I am pretty surprised I haven’t seen discussion of this. Maybe I just missed it, or maybe I am just sensitive to this particular effect looking weird to me for some reason.

5 Likes
1 Like

I think that is just the “hero lighting” with the characters being unnaturally backlight to give that nice looking 3 point lighting effect when in dialogue scenes. Based on memory I could totally see why that would give an unnatural green screen sorta effect, but it is an artistic choice for sure.

2 Likes

They literally have a plan to release two service games before the end of the fiscal year. Games services will be released on PC along with the PS5 version, if someone else did not know

God. It’s literally a port of a game that’s been around for four years now. Why should console sales suffer from this at all?

That’s what he’s saying ?

Jim Ryan is just an idiot. Nothing new

1 Like

He says something incomprehensible

That is why Spider-man 2 will not be on PC for 2-3 years after the release on PS5

3 Likes

I just finished a replay of Uncharted 4 as part of the Legacy of Thieves Collection. It’s my first time replaying since the original release on PS4 and I have to say this game holds up. It’s gorgeous, the voice acting and set pieces are superb. I love the way ND is able to organically guide the player through environments in both exploration and action sequences. I’m not really into the AAA space as much as others, but it was a blast to revisit so much so that I’ll probably start Lost Legacy replay now. Would love to see Xbox do something similar, ah Recore what could’ve been!

4 Likes

It might be controversial but Uncharted 4 was my favourite of the series, it felt like such a good step up in terms of writing. Like it was specifically re-doing a lot of the character points from Uncharted 3 but way way more successfully, and the dialogue between characters as you played the game really added a lot.

3 Likes

Loved the game, but the story was my least favorite aspect, because of the reason you mentioned. It felt like a retread of ground they had already covered in Uncharted 3 – mysterious figure from Nathan’s past etc. I didn’t care for Sam much as a character either.

I miss Uncharted so much! Uncharted 5 is the number one thing I wish Sony would make.

Just watched the movie on Netflix and you know what, it wasn’t half bad! I was expecting to be annoyed by the changes from the game but I have to admit, they did a good job with it.

1 Like

I could see the retread part, but I just remember feeling 3 handled it so poorly that I enjoyed it a LOT more when done right. I did also love the whole pirate island thing, it’s kind of nice that there was no big supernatural threat and it really was just a regular pirate island. I still need to watch the movie sometime though.

1 Like

Started Lost Legacy - couldn’t resist! Love these two ladies, I remember this one was awesome and a nice “snack sized” game. I’ll shoot out impressions if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I feel if they have moved away from nathan and needed a new lead for the series any of the two from LL would work