PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

It can still impact Devs/Pubs in a very negative way. Especially if they know that simply limiting the demo play to the first 2 hours may not be the best representation of the game. This now forces the Devs/Pubs to produce their own customized demo experience. Or they have the hard choice of simply not publishing on the PlayStation platform.

The only way that makes sense for Devs/Pubs is by having the Demo clause only be applicable for games doing deals for PlayStation Plus Premium. However, being on that service negates the need for the Demo in the first place. :man_shrugging:t4: There needs to be a benefit to the Devs/Pubs since Sony is making money off it.

1 Like

All excellent points. Honestly, I just need to sit down and re-read what’s been confirmed since my perception has been colored too much by reactionary posts from when this first came out.

1 Like

beneficial to consumer? its behind a paywall. You have to subscribe to the highest tier…this is just lazy attempt by sony to gain more money

I can’t believe some of the shit sony get away with

And can you imagine a Rockstar doing a trail got GTAVI? They’ll tel them to fuck off. This is a publisher that doesn’t even put games on PC right away due to piracy.

Shit like this happens when you have a bad subscription and to make it better try to artificially give value to it with stuff that should be free.

Not unlike Ms putting apps behind gold before they had GwG, or even Sony making cloud saves a Plus perk.

It’s a shame because instead of this crap they should do what any decent gaming store does now that is to offer self service refunds, or make it indeed a perk like EA play does, offering early access to the games in the trial.

Because right now they are just making the experience for everyone that doesn’t pay worse, so they can charge for a little better experience.

1 Like

It’s not beneficial to the consumer, because the regular consumer has a worse experience than on competing platforms.

You can refund games for free on Xbox and Steam provided you played less than 2 hours (there are other rules, like the refund must be requested within 14 days of purchase too). Instead of letting everyone refund Sony is asking for you to pay them to have the same functionality (and I wouldn’t doubt that underlying that’s exactly what happens: Sony is just handling the purchase/refund on your behalf and charging you for it).

1 Like

Guys, I meant it’s an extra thing for the consumer, as in I would consider this a bonus to the tier since in my view that’s not the big reason to buy in at that level. It’s also how I view xCloud. It isn’t why I have Game Pass Ultimate, but it’s a cool extra thing that I probably wouldn’t pay for separately.

And yeah, Sony seriously need to improve their services, like having 2FA that works well, overhauling their shameful refund policy, letting me add my fucking credit card to the store I don’t have to buy PSN cards from third-party sites, offering free cloud saves, fixing that stupid 1000 cloud saves limit thing. I can think all of those things suck and still think something else is fine.

I still haven’t read up on this properly, stand by for my further thoughts I guess lol.

I got you, but the thing is xcloud is a real perk. Being able to stream games is not something that you can do for free.

Psn offers not refunds for anyone, yeah, but other platforms do, and sony instead of adding that feature for everyone decided to charge for it.

The equivalent was what Ms did during the 360 era, where you were required to sub to gold to be able to use apps (stuff like netflix, youtibe, internet explorer) on your console. Was it an extra thing for gold users on 360? Yes, but it was not beneficial in any way because they were just charging for a basic functionality that should be free and was on other platforms.

1 Like

Saw a post on ResetEra that hit a good point-- Sony has conveyed a lot more info so far on how to pay them for Spartacus, than what Spartacus actually offers as a service. Kinda captures their current view of their audience…

9 Likes

Exactly. They are willing to take your money but no one even knows what will be on the service.

2 Likes

I’m assuming its simply what they have now in PS Now but with the marketing rebranded new coat of lipstick, but with PSNow Streaming moved into the even more expensive tier.

From earlier analysis it was a little over 91% of the titles being from 2017 or older. There was rumored around 50 games leaving PS Now soon. I didn’t see which titles those were. So the percentage may be slightly different when they roll out, but fundamentally its nothing but old games.

We know what Sony execs and fans think of that, “Who would ever want to play old games?”.

1 Like

You may not be fully up-to-date on your talking points… Now that Sony is offering retro BC, it’s extremely important and a great selling point. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s an incredibly good point.

But then again, they are not wrong. Many times over their userbase has shown that they prefer to be treated like garbage in favor of Sony’s bottom line.

It can’t be what they have now because they already have more than 700 games as is, and they don’t have Ps1 and PSP games on the service.

There’s leaks/speculation that they will reduce or even eliminate the Ps3 options and add Ps1 and Psp for compensating (checks out because Ps 1,2 and PSP runs on local emulators, while Ps3 needs streaming, so they might want to get rid of Ps3 blades in order to be able to expand psnow to more countries)

So that is something that… I don’t know if concern is the right word but something that I wonder about… Sony’s PS3 BC solution, such as it is, is still built on PS3 hardware that’s no longer being manufactured (are they?). As those PS3 blades slowly wear out, we’re right back in the situation where these games that are trapped on PS3 hardware become inaccessible all over again. My own PS3 is still in working order and I’m not even currently a PS Now subscriber so I don’t mean to concern troll over this, but like, I’d rather live in a world where people can easily access Metal Gear Solid 4, even in streaming form, than one where they can’t.

1 Like

From analysis done at the time of announcement, the gist is they merely split it between multiple tiers.

They had 400 download games on the “Extra” tier, and moved the 300+ streaming games to the “Premium” tier. They only had around 30-40 new legacy PS1/PSP games to be added.

Funny thing is, they are making this move while losing market share to Xbox. This move made a ton of sense during the PS4 generation, less so with the PS5.

Maybe it’s just because I want to see some chaos, but wouldn’t it be hilarious if developers decide to work with Microsoft to offer the same 2 hour trials for free on Xbox?

On the surface it may not make sense, but given that Sony isn’t giving you any compensation (until proved otherwise) and Microsoft already offers refunds for those who played under 2 hours anywyas, why not go all out with it?

1 Like

It’s interesting to consider that the more successful the top tier PlayStation Plus is, the closer we get to the death of the PS3. There is an inflection point where too many subscribers outnumber the amount of remaining PS3 server blades. Enjoy PS3 streaming while you still can.

2 Likes

Hi GamepadX

We want to let you know that from June 13 the PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now memberships are changing.

Your PlayStation Now benefits will become part of a new PlayStation Plus service with a wider range of benefits, and PlayStation Now will no longer be available as a service on its own.

What this means for you As a current member of both services, your subscriptions will be combined into a single PlayStation Plus membership plan, with a single recurring payment date and price, unless one or both of your memberships expire before the new service launches .

Rest assured that: • Your new combined membership will include the same PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now benefits you enjoy today. • You will keep any stacked subscription period you’ve already paid for and continue to enjoy access to the same membership benefits until your membership expires, unless you make changes to your subscription settings***. • When the new service launches, you will pay one recurring subscription fee, instead of two. The payment date will be based on whichever of your subscriptions has the later payment date. The cost of your membership will not increase when the new service launches*, unless you choose to make any changes to your subscription plan.

Your new PlayStation Plus Premium benefits • All the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers, including two downloadable PS4 games and one PS5 game monthly, exclusive discounts, cloud storage for saved games, online multiplayer access, plus a growing catalogue of up to 400** of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including: Death Stranding God of War Mortal Kombat 11 Returnal Marvel’s Spider-Man Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales • Up to 340** additional games, including: o PS3 games available via cloud streaming o A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations • Cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.*** • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

If either subscription is due to expire Provided you continue to be a member of both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now up to launch of the new service, you will move on to a new plan with all of the benefits*** you have today.

If one (or both) of your subscriptions is due to end before the new service launches, you can change your subscription settings so that it continues and, when the new service launches, you will move onto a new plan, keeping all your benefits***. If one of your subscriptions end before the new service launches you will move onto a membership plan that ensures you keep the benefits of the subscription that you have at launch.

If you do not wish to continue one or both of your subscriptions, you can change your subscription settings at any time so that the subscription ends on your next payment date. For details about how to change your settings, visit [https://www.playstation.com/support/subscriptions/]

1 Like

So this effectively kills the PC only service tier of PS Now? As I understand it, If you’re on PC and want to play via streaming you have to subscribe to PlayStation Plus Premium. That’s a price increase of $8 a month. RIP PS Now.

1 Like

Or have the games launched on game pass at the same time as ps+, with game pass getting the full game and ps+ a demo.