PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

My fav Xbox titles early on were Titanfall, Halo 5 multiplayer (which is still the best multiplayer in the series to me), and Sunset Overdrive. I would definitely put them up there with anything Sony had up to that point. To be honest both of the consoles had a pretty bare first few years on the first party front. But Sony has dominated since 2017. At one point I legit thought Microsoft had given up, and then they went and announced all those studio purchases. This gen is going to be fun though. Got a lot of killer games coming up.

I think Sony buying the likes of Square Enix or Capcom is highly unlikely. Both of those are multi billion dollar companies. If Sony bought either of these they would be Sony’s biggest ever aquisition. They could buy 20 Insomniacs for the likely asking price of Square Enix. A company like Housemarque is much more reasonable, though since they largely make playstation games already, Sony might not see much value there. It was only after Insomniac started making games for Xbox that Sony bought them.

I didn’t have anything for Xbox One at that time until ROTTR. I did however play Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome a few years ago. Dead Rising 3 was nothing special and if I never played it, nothing of value would have been lost. Ryse though was good. Still one of the better looking games of the generation. While doubtful, im still hoping for a sequel.

In general, I agree though. 2016 for me was Alienation and Uncharted 4 (played Ratchet & Clank earlier this year) against Gears 4 and Quantum Break. 2017 has been a complete slaughter to be honest and yeah, Microsoft did give up until Spencer was able to become the “main guy” in late 2017. Since then, it’s been a complete turnaround and yeah, the upcoming generation is going to be great regardless of which platform you’re on (or double great if you’re like me and will own both, hehe) and a lot of great games down the line.

I don’t think that Sony will acquire either. I was replying to another post in regards to Sony acquiring a publisher and I would see Square Enix and Capcom as the best fits that make the most sense with Electronic Arts and Bethesda making the most sense publisher wise for Microsoft to acquire.

I’m expecting Housemarque and Bluepoint Game to be acquired by Sony in very near future if they haven’t been acquired already. Sony tried to acquire Insomniac during the PlayStation 3 era but Ted Price always said no. It wasn’t until after Spider Man that Sony went all out for them and was much more aggressive. Less than a year later after releasing Spider Man, they acquired Insomniac.

PS5 fans should demand Sony acts as consumer-friendly as Microsoft – Reader’s Feature

Any news is great from either company but this whole blog post of nothing but touting the same blanket statements about the SSD (Load Times) and 3D Audio that we dont know if it works on anything besides the Sony Headset is kinda worthless to me as someone who is on the fence for a PS5 day one.

2 Likes

Im all for better 3d sound and better assets from the ssd… But god… This marketing is so transparent… its like they all got told what to praise. Im sure Microsoft will do similar stuff. But I do prefer a bit of variety from devs, im sure not all of them just want to praise the ssd and sound.

But, likes trumps play is “Law and order” sonys play is “tempest 3d audio and dat ssd”

Did you know that the SSD IS BLAZING FAST???

you say

2 Likes

I wonder what Microsoft will focus on?

I think they will focus on everything

But there main points will be

*Quick resume

*Faster loading

*Worlds most powerful console

*Worlds most affordable next gen console (for seriesS)

This advert also dropped on YouTube

Its a decent trailer, but are casuals really going to think this a new generation.

You could swap out ps5 for ps4 and I dont think casuals would notice.

2 Likes

Tempest will work on any headset, this is nothing more than Windows Sonic, DTS Unbound or Dolby for Headphones. It’s certainly based on Sony’s new 360° Audio that they are trying to push on their new headset (WH-1000Xm4 as an example), which is far from being universally acclaimed as a revolution in audio…

Honestly this is nice tech, but there’s nothing new in virtual 3D audio/HRTF. You can multiply objects, DSP, take a picture of your ears as much as you want and try to trick your brain with complex algorithms, the main problem is that depending on the speakers/headset/TV set/Soundbar/ears you will use, and all possible combinations from those, the end result can be OK to meh. Nice to have and test, but perfectly forgettable in most use case.

2 Likes

We are 2 months away from the launch and we are still getting blanket statement blogs about stuff they talked about 6 months ago

4 Likes

3D AUDIO is not new. I’m sick to death of Sony pretending they’ve reinvented something. I’ve been enjoying 3d audio on my One X for a long time. They really have been properly gazumped hardware wise this time Sony and their marketing around their hardware proposition shows this. All about an SSD and 3d audio…going to be fascinating to see the digital foundry comparisons, I suspect Sony really aren’t looking forward to those.

2 Likes

It’s because they keep playing chicken on price and launch lineup. They have to market something but can’t market the most important stuff so here we are. I wonder if MS will break down and just sell it as low as they possibly can. It’s all about who blinks first at this point.

Interesting blog. Always enjoy reading developer thoughts. What’s also interesting is what the 3rd party developers can also apply to the Series X, so it’s good news all around.

Also happy that more of a focus is being put on audio. There is a noticeable difference this gen and it’s nice that no matter what console I game on next gen, the audio should be amazing.

It’s new for PS4 owners and that’s who they are trying to win over first and foremost. :wink:

What is this 3D audio all about ? It’s just pinpointing sound (more) accurately or am I missing something ?

I remember playing Call of Duty Black Ops multiplayer on the Xbox 360 with a friend (We’re talking 2010 or 2011). There was this kill streak reward called “Chopper gunner”. Me and my buddy pinpointed the incoming chopper perfectly with our headsets and before the door gunner could fire one round, we both already fired our stingers and downed it, thanks to this so called 3D or surround audio.

Not really interested in having an entire thread dedicated to what is effectively an ad. Especially when it pertains to the PS5 hardware, of which there is an official thread.

1 Like

So close this topic and keep the main Game Studios OT please. :smiley:

Huh?

I merged it into the PS5 hardware thread