PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

That would have been better than all the other features. But then they would have had to admit its superiority.

1 Like

They don’t need to admit, when it already known. Literally every other company use it. From Nintendo, with Switch Pro Controller, which is basically a 1 to 1 copy of the Xbox Controller layout.

2 Likes

Huh, Astro’s Playroom was a neat little thing. Cool way to get to know the new controller, surprised it was an actual game.

2 Likes

You can just go into a store these days and buy a console. What a time to be alive!

7 Likes

You can indeed. My local Walmart, Meijer, and Gamestop (the only three stores I check as I typed this) all have them in stock and available for pickup.

1 Like

So, I just finished playing God of War Ragnarok and I have some random thoughts.

Overall, the game was great. Personally, I don’t think it was a 90+ game, but it was solidly in the 85-87 range for me.

I can’t remember the last time I played a Playstation game this close to launch. I normally wait 6-12 months after launch and pick them up on sale, but my son was eager to play this one so I bought it for him/us on Christmas morning. I was pretty shocked at how many bugs I encountered. None were game breaking, or even that major - but I could barely go a single play session without encountering something weird.

• Being “locked” into a cut scene position after the scene was over.
  • Being stuck in combat after all enemies were dead.
  • Not being able to trigger events that were supposed to happen.
  • Unkillable enemies (this one required a restart).
  • Gateways not triggering when clicked on (walked right through it but was still in the same zone).

There were others as well, but those are the ones that stand out. I can’t remember playing a Playstation game with so many bugs, but perhaps that’s because I usually play them much later after launch.

My biggest gripe with the game was just how “locked down” it felt to me. Everything seems so scripted and controlled and there were so many relatively tiny play spaces (boxed in by walls to climb or cracks to squeeze through). While I was playing the game I kept thinking about Stray and how lots of people were griping that it had “fake platforming” because you could only jump or climb when a button prompt allowed you to . But that is exactly how GoWR is as well. Why the heck can’t this god jump unless a button tells him to???

My last random thought is on rpgs vs action adventure games. GoWR has so many rpg mechanics. Everything from gear to skill trees to character level to leveling individual powers and weapons is in the game. Yet this is so clearly not an rpg. This is a story about Kratos and Atreus (and Freya) - not you. The player does not get to make any meaningful decisions (that influence the story). We don’t even get any meaningless dialogue choices. The story was great and I enjoyed playing it, but in some ways the game design just made me want a real rpg even more.

7 Likes

If I am being generous I would give it an 80. Outside of the shear polish of it, and the story, the act of playing the game was an absolute slog to me.

It has great moments, but the amount of the game that is spent watching cutscenes, holding forward running down linear paths so characters can chat, and engaging in segments where the entirety of your agency is hitting the button it wants you to hit is kind of absurd.

2 Likes

I agree with all those gameplay gripes, but I never felt like the gameplay was a slog. Part of that may have been due to my decision to turn down the difficulty after the first couple of fights. I was winning the fights, but they felt like wars of attrition at the base difficulty. That was not the type of experience I wanted with the game.

I think a lot of it, to me, was that it had a similar problem as the first game. There are so few enemy types that once you learn how to handle each it all became wrote.

My outlook on it could also be skewed by the fact that I played the holy hell out of Elden Ring this year and that game is the absolute antithesis of GOW and I couldn’t get enough of it.

1 Like

Ragnarök is a absolute Masterpiece

• Gameplay is absolutely sublime - vicious combat that when it clicks makes you feel incredible
  • Insane amounts of production values - set pieces, enemy encounters, bosses, side content.

The game is massive. I have been playing everyday for almost a week, and spent like 20 hours playing over the weekend and im still not close to being done. This is by far the biggest most ambitious game Sony has ever produced, and now I understand why it took 4.5 years. So much new content here that it really boggles my mind. I am in love with the gameplay loop. I love exploring, mini bosses, the combat, new story missions. The side missions have gotten a huge upgrade. This is how you make a video game. GOW 2018 was already as close to perfect as you could get.

This is GOW 2018 on steroids, and every single Studio should learn from it. Just ditch those vast empty open worlds and make something hub driven like this where exploring every inch feels rewarding, and progressing through the story isnt punishing but fun.

The crater area is fantastic. So much to do here for an entirely optional area you can only get to through a random side quest. And then it has secret areas inside the secret area

This sort of stuff that is entirely missable is what takes this game up to S Tier

Honestly I don’t know how guys already finished this game. The crater is the biggest side content I’ve seen in any game ever. Is just too big

The Berserker Twins down after nearly 4 hours straight! Man that is a hard fight, harder than Sigrun in the first game I think

Not mine video but the beserker Twin is the game’s hardest boss

3 Likes

I did love the crater area. It was probably my favorite part of the game.

One other thing I should mention is the post credits content. Without getting into spoilers, this game has a true epilogue (involving multiple little quests and quite a few surprises) that is truly well done. This is something I wish more games would do. Hats off to the developers for taking the time and care to (and money) to add this content to the game.

PlayStation version of the Red Ring of Death?

1 Like

Ill have to risk it, the fan in mine makes a ticking noise if I put it horizontal. If it breaks Ill just never replace it.

Can you sue Sony for this? seem it a design flaw. If this become widespread they might be forced to send you free replacement.

Nintendo gets away with it because their fanbase doesnt give a shit about anything online related. They only care about local storage saves. If the next switch wasnt digital BC and you had to rebuy all your stuff. They would happily rebuy all their stuff.

The fact that switch had blutooth support but nintendo blocked it via software update is scandelous.

We like to bash sony a lot but actually they got a lot of shit regarding their online and improved drastically with ps4 gen. Still behind xbox but better.

Nintendo could get away with absolute murder.

If xbox had a system as bad and a big of a flop as wii u theyd be hounded out of the industry snd it would be labelled the worst system of all time.

That can’t be genuine, can it? :eyes:

Just saw something similar…

If it breaks it breaks, I simply wont replace it.

So… PS5 is still superhard to get in my country but I guess I was ‘lucky?’ enough to receive an invitation from Amazon to buy it (blu-ray model, 550 €). The thing is I have an extremely important exam in June so I won´t have a lot of time to game this first half of the year and the Slim model (releases around September, if reports are to be believed. A smaller revision is very much needed.

On the other hand, I have a small backlog of PS4 games I am not playing because I wanted to play them on PS5 because of better performance and I like the Dual Sense as a controller. There are some PS5 exclusives I want to play on PS5, but if I have waited till now, I guess I could wait a little more…

What would you do in my place?

• Buy it
  • Wait for the Slim model

0 voters

2023 is a crazy year for GP so I’d say wait for a slim model/price cut. Personally speaking there isn’t a game in the horizon that will make me buy a PS5 plus I’ve already played/checked out everything I wanted from the PS4 library, games like The Last Guardian and Bloodborne could convince me to get a PS5 at the end of the gen (the cheaper the better) but as of now Ueda’s game will be multiplatform and there isn’t a From exclusive announced so I am all good. :philwins:

1 Like