PlayStation 5 Hands On Previews Topic

Must admit that Godfall looks way better than did months ago and is the only game in all these videos that I have any interest in but I will be waiting for the Xbox Series X version in late 2021.

Other than that, very underwhelming and disappointing. Sony should give PS5 prototypes to Greg Miller and Keighley. Let them mess around with the console. I know why Sony is hiding the console but at this point, it’s just ridiculous. At this point, just show the damn thing.

Geoff keighley is too said its really fast

1 Like

Yes, so far everybody has been really positive about the console.

Why do you think they are hiding it though?

I’ve been thinking about this a little, could it just be that arrogant Sony really is back? That they are like “who cares, people will all go out and buy it anyway.” and that’s why they just don’t bother with sending it out to some media folks?

With PS4 and Xbox One, did media get units at all beforehand? This seems to be something new, doesn’t it?

Balan Wonderland looked nice. So did Godfall. Why are people so hard on those games? Particularly, people who game primarily on Playstation.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, building goodwill with the gaming community is like building a fort with sugar cubes. The moment it starts drizzling, you’re left with nothing.

2 Likes

The reason why they’re hiding it is because Sony knows they have the inferior console and hardware. It’s plain and simple. When you are confident and secure in what you are and have, you show it off. You let people including those who don’t even care about Xbox (Keighley and others) test and mess around with it. I truly believe that PS5 is RDNA 1.5. I don’t believe that it’s RDNA 2 because in order to be that, you have to have the entire feature set which thus far, Sony simply doesn’t. Can’t be called RDNA 2 if you’re missing features that are only in RDNA 2. LOL.

I don’t believe that Sony will give Digital Foundry a console to tear down because they know the end result. So many people are just blind and delusional and going based on history which means nothing. I was a hardcore PS/PS2 guy and went with 360 because it was better than PS3. I went with PS4 because it was better than XB1. I’m going with Xbox Series X over PS5 as my primary because I KNOW it’s the better hardware. Better balanced. Better consistency. Better performance. No worries or concerns at all. Been hyped since March and nothing will change that.

I do believe that they’re more arrogant and resting on their laurels and history. Look at PS5 showcase from a few weeks ago. Showcase itself was good (even though June was better) but then all the bad news came out and pre-orders went up right away. Why is that? I think it’s because Sony knew that if they wait on pre-orders, some people may have had second thoughts once they know all the bad stuff that came out after the showcase.

I’m not 100% sure either way when it comes to PS4/XB1. What I am sure about is that if you’re confident in your product, you send it out to YouTubers and gaming media so they can mess around with it especially if the competition is doing it.

Just imagine if Microsoft shows off actual gameplay at the end of the month running off of Series X and then officially confirms that Gold is gone or that they show Starfield/Wolfenstein III and confirm that it’s exclusive to the Xbox eco-system?

That would almost be the nail in the coffin because that’s all Microsoft has left to do. Sony meanwhile hasn’t confirmed the backwards compatibility games for launch if there even is any, none of them will have free upgrades, there’s no quick resume on PS5, they’re missing features from RDNA 2 and I don’t see their SSD being better than Xbox Series X by more than 10 seconds in regards to multi-platform games loading time.

Of course, it all remains to be seen but despite PS4 being my #1 all time gaming console and me being very critical of Xbox from 2013 to pre-E3 2018, I decided to go with Xbox Series X as my primary gaming console because I KNOW it’s going to be the better piece of tech and hardware.

8 Likes

It seems as Sony is doing everything in their power to avoid any teardowns until after the console is launched. I think they know the console is going to be blatantly inferior in DF face-offs, it was a PR disaster for Xbox One when PS4 kept destroying them in the faceoffs.

The real truth will come out after the console is public, RDNA 1.5, variable power, less visual fidelity and performance will be the main points as soon as DF gets their hands on it.

1 Like

Pretty much everything basically.

Even simpleish games like Sackboy and Destruction Cars are not locked 4k. Spiderman on the 60fps has some settings paired back from the PS4 version like car density and shadow distance, RT only in the 30fps and the RT itself is a single effect (RT rreflections) and paired back in ways that are not needed even on a 2060 (basically the weakest RT-able hardware today). Demons Souls being 1440p in the 60fps mode. Re8 framerate also being all over the place COD releasing only a 1080p video not to pixel count, and that people had a hard time finding the claimed RT effects, only for a few weeks later Activision to drop a very 4k and very RT heavy version of the same trailer running on a 3080

At this point it’s already a clear pattern, where games are just not performing within expectations on this console. Dunno if it’s devs having trouble with the variable clocks, or something else (for example having the same bandwidth as the 5700, but shared with other consumers), but a 5700 is able to lock even some gpu intensive games at 4k60 @ console settings or higher (and I mean games like FF15, Hitman 2, Far Cry 5, Tomb raider…) whereas PS5 is not being able to lock even Sackboy which is significantly simpler than any of the games I mentioned.

5 Likes

I had no idea about Sackboy. Where was this said or shown? Then again, I really don’t follow a lot of PS5 news to begin with. But that definitely is very strange. You’d think that game would easily be native 4K/60fps, damn.

As for the raytracing, that sounds disappointing too but maybe kinda what we should have expected? That’s why there’s no way in hell that XSX will perform under PS5 when it comes to raytracing. It would make zero sense when XSX just is the overall better hardware .

Ok, so here is something interesting from the Russian photos of the PS5 unit with the cover off.

That circle is the fan intake for the unit. As for the angle, we don’t know if it is on both sides of the PS5 but let us assume that it is.

This is a vacuum style fan design. To cool the unit, they may have a dual pathway heatsink fin system that will draw the heat across more surface area so that the air flow can better cool the unit. It could explain the hefty boy size for the system but as long as those fans are able to keep to a respectable speed, it could very well be as quiet as the reports state.

Another thing is that the vacuum style for air flow is that it draws and pushes air together, forcing the air out along the heatsink. Combine this with the liquid metal cooling interface between SOC and heatsink, sounds like a good design for keeping the fans at a lower speed with effective, reliable performance for heat distribution.

Although, i am no conspiracy theorist but not showing the back of the console or allowing someone to set it up themselves at home does strike me as questionable. Oh well. I suppose with everything this year, can’t expect that everything is not coming in hot.

2 Likes

What a completely lackluster supposed “hand on” situation where they could not put their hands on the console. It is only a little over a month away and the thing still has not been allowed to have had everything gone over by a 3rd party.

Ridiculous, only Sony could get away this this type of build up to next gen.

5 Likes

Ouch. So happy im going with Series X as my primary gaming console. Don’t know what Sony was thinking when researching and developing PlayStation 5.

I just finished watching. Did we learn anything new that we didn’t know before today?

That humongous thing better be 100% quiet, I mean, damn! :laughing:

1 Like

Blowing on the controller is a thing? Can’t imagine the crap Xbox would of got for that back in 2013.

The mouse pointer on Godfall is probably the guy working with recording software.

8 Likes

Damn this sounds like an awful console Glad I went with Xbox

Sackboy was in the first analysis DF made during the June reveal.

Granted, it could be an old build, but their latest video was that “60 is king” and they were prioritizing a locked framerate, which basically tells they weren’t able to deliver a locked 4k with that. (They definitely made the right choice in prioritizing 60fps though)

1 Like

Just a few quick thoughts on this “controlled environment” approach. And why only Japanese Youtubers?

Alot of western YouTubers already have a Series X. Giving those people access to a PS5 would have garnered inevitable comparisons (size, acoustics, fast game switching capability etc…) and generate possible negative press. They’re clearly avoiding that until it actually launches.

Setting the PS5 on a separate table away from the TV was a way to not attract too much attention to its size. To avoid PS5 to TV ratio comparisons. They knew what they were doing here.

Also, while I do believe the PS5 is “quieter” than say a PS4 Pro, it probably isn’t as quiet as the Series X. So this controlled approach helps with that narrative as well. I want to hear real life reports with the unit in people’s homes (like we got with the Series X). Not in a controlled environment.

5 Likes

Honestly it would be really crazy if they can’t hit native 4K, I mean…aren’t some PS4 Pro games right now already native 4K?

Ah well, we’ll find out soon enough. It’s a launch title, right?