Phil Spencer interview - Discusses Redfall disappointing, CMA, Hellblade II, quarterly releases, and more

I don’t fully agree with Phil Spencer’s assessment in regard to games not moving a needle.

Release games that consistently score over 90 on metacritic and create FUD around the competition. Make it that media is much more critical of the “same’old over-the-shoulder hand-holding narrative game”.

Basically, start pushing a narrative against Sony.

that will probably work in the U.S. but Europe and the EU regions seems more harder to penetrate since that is sony territory

2 Likes

One thing is certain is I won’t sell a console just because someone else has a stellar game. You know how many flip flopping I would have done. Lol.

2 Likes

God this was nauseating to read lmao

Do people really just want console war era marketing back

12 Likes

Wo Long, Minecraft Legends, Starfield, Hi Fi Rush. That’s already worth the 180$ and I’m only naming 4 titles out of everything else that already came out/is still to come.

I mean imo, we’ve already got more than our money’s worth and we’re only in may!

7 Likes

Xbox existed before Game Pass.

Xbox has loads of great games & should be immune against a bad first party title like Redfall. Just like Xbox was immune when Crackdown 2 got bad reviews 13 years ago, or when even Fable 3 didn’t get as good a reception as the second did. The Sony PS4 was immune when The Order 1886 failed. The list goes on & on.

The only reason Redfall is such a huge deal is because it’s the first AAA first party Xbox game in 18 months & the only reason that even matters is because Game Pass is largely about Xbox first party day one releases.

Again, no one gave a sh*t when the PS4 had a first party mini drought in 2014 or when Knack was laughed at. That’s because the console was the star, even more than the first party games were.

4 Likes

I don´t get the impression Redfall got a high budget. Like at all.

Its been amusing to see some people who don’t care about Xbox or want the brand to fail interpret this interview through their own lense and try and declare what Phil is actually saying.

23 Likes
  • It isn’t 2005 -2012 anymore and this isn’t a market period where Xbox is the defacto console for the general consumer. Xbox existed, has it’s history but also has it’s flaws that stem in poor product and company management. Those same problems continue to persist into the now today when it comes to Microsoft’s endless pursuit for the next big megabudget fuckhouse. This isn’t an issue exclusive to Microsoft though – If you want me to say SonyToo!!! then I’m more than happy to discuss the level of negligence that the publisher has had for Japan Studio, Bend and now it’s VR output. But that’s irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

• Redfall is a huge deal because

• It is the next big game made by one of the most critically acclaimed developers in the business right now and following up a 2021 critical darling. It just so happening to be a megabudget title (which is anothe discussion point about scope and bloat that I do not care about getting into right now.) and a headlining title for Microsoft’s spring lineup is a circumstance of change. You shouldn’t be having this takeaway that MS should be immune to critique because they released a bad game because, well, look at the critical reception Arkane has garnered up until this point and pose the question why did it come to this instead of citing games that are circumstances of corporate demand with limited time and resources.
  • Xbox has a great catalogue and a hotly anticipated lineup. Development takes time. AAA megabudget fuckhouses take on average 6-10 years now due to how drastic the development scope has changed over the course of time and the severe lack of manpower in the tech industry right now. Game Pass being largely about Xbox, first party day one releases is a fair statement to make but it isn’t as if they’re devoid of them . Pentiment and Grounded are well recieved titles and proof that Xbox’s involvement in the acquisition of Bethesda is producing quality. I’m not worried about that. Maybe YOU are idk.

• I , personally, am not going to engage with your SonyToo bullshit because I’m a grown ass adult that does not care about meaningless whataboutisms when a game from one of my favorite developers got ruined because of clear and obvious neglegnece from said developer, Bethesda and MS. That doesn’t give me hope in Starfield. That gives precedent about what the founder of Arkane commented on about the AAA megabudget fuckhouse being a soulless dredge of product fulfillment being true.

Continue to seek your weird need for justification in buying a $500 console man. I just hope you find peace with yourself.

Marketing, sure, but there’s no precedent that Redfall is even a game with the same budget as what Bethesda does with BGS and Id’s products.

but no one genuinely wants to have that discussion on what they percieve as development costs in relation to the financial sucess of this developer’s games and why they’re allowed to make commercial flops seven times in a row lmfao

Phil said they have collections of games coming… you think it’s the fabled Gears Collection?

2 Likes

Its interesting how Phil admits they were too lenient and hands-off with Redfall, especially as the project was already in dev, they didn´t send, let´s say, the technology experts neither provided many extra resources, whatever that means. It is also interesting he says Arkane didn´t seem to understand what being part of a first party conglomerate entails in relation to the quality expectations vs. a third party game. I am quite sure they already understand, learning the hard way.

7 Likes

Yep. I said something along those lines 2 weeks ago. I got push back from the usual suspects but I thought it was fairly obvious that Arkane was not ready for the level of scrutiny that comes with being under Xbox. Especially if you’re putting out AAA games.

It’s a learning lesson for everyone involved, it’s a shame Redfall had to be sacrificial lamb but I think it’ll be for the better down the line.

7 Likes

Simply put Arkane to work on Prey 2 for the next 4-5 years and pump out the greatest immersive sim of all time and all will be forgiven

EZ :sunglasses:

Sorry to rain on your parade but I think he meant numbers of games as in plural, rather than actual game collections :rofl:

I can still dream.

1 Like

No one wants to get over hyped right now but I think this upcoming showcase will be great and we know they have many first party games that should ship over the next 18 months

4 Likes

The shit takes have already started on YouTube, I saw this on Facebook feed with comments of people sayin they saw it coming lol

[Deleted Nonsense Video]

Can we tone down the back-and-forth that’s getting a little too personal? Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Why do you guys keep posting videos and Twitter handles of people you don’t like?

10 Likes