PC Gaming |OT1| Game Pass PC, Steam, Epic etc. - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

It actually does not wok that way. This situation is no different to playstation code which should also be considered a derivative of the open source code.

The FOSS community champions open source, but then just goes on a blind logic spree, sometimes.

But - and here is something for you - (breaking news) - SteamOS seems to be open. I found the kernel code!

SteamOS is open - not because of the being based-off Linux reasons, which are not actually valid when dealing with systems. It is open because it is open, and makes its code available under GPL (steamos_kernel/arch/sparc/lib/COPYING.LIB at 798b216f18cf4d6c605503baf7e4329efd343f24 · ValveSoftware/steamos_kernel · GitHub)

Agree, but that is a design feature of being based of win32. It is an amazing feature of Steam, and I like it. Should it be called ‘open’ because of this only? - probably not 

but is it interoperable with other system level features and other launchers - oh, yes!

The only thing going for them is that they are under the radar and that they have their code out there. Not sure how much it helps, but it will help in the short run. The fact that they are independent helps be under the radar too.

This is called deflect and attack the character of the witness - and works well in legal court cases while questioning the witness situations. LOL :rofl:

When I discovered the 98% sales reports, I was thinking MS would probably not touch them unless it is only for defensive purposes like Sony or Google approaching them. And, there were reports of Google approaching them a few years back.

Just an observation after watching quite a few Linux youtubers over the years -

I might be using like 4 or maybe 5 different OSes, but the Linux and Mac communities are just crazy sometimes. And Linux is my primary OS.

Too fanboi-ish for my taste. Some of the conversations are just out of insecurities. All my fav Linux/Unix youtubers are this way.

My OS list - FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Mac, Windows 10, Windows 11.

2 Likes

Steam Deck is open in the way every PC is (comparison to consoles). It’s not a unique feature of Steam Deck, but a unique feature of PC compared to consoles. I would hope you at least agree to that, and operate on a similar definition of what open is, in this context. Open ecosystem can mean just what a PC is already, and in this case is not necessarily based on technology, but policy. Again, open is in the context of PC being open, not Steam Deck uniquely bein open, because it isn’t. Steam Deck is however significantly more open compared to Switch, Xbox, Playstation but just as open as any other PC, whereas it didn’t need to be, as Valve could have shut off every other launcher by virtue of policy, not technology. Consoles aren’t not open because of technology, at least not entirely, they’re not open because they’re not designed to be, from a business standpoint.

lmfaooo definitely didn’t intend to be that, and I should have been more clear in it being a separate question from the above, rather than an extension of it. I apologize.

But yeah, your scenario is functionally interchangeable, just replace MS with Google or Sony as “big tech corporations that are market leaders/significant powers in other categories”. But I get you, you see it as a force of hand rather than a deliberate approached acquisition. But yeah, Sony buying Valve is certainly not happening, let’s get that out of the way lol.

1 Like

Open ecosystem is a pandora’s box in terms of semantics. But I get what you are saying, and I largely agree.

I mean a pandora’s box because I have had 3 to 4 hr verbal/spoken conversations and debates on this with ppl who take this very seriously. LOL

1 Like

Yeah it is, but we could hope to operate under a limited context where a definition works well to communicate a feature of said thing without it needing to adhere to a larger framework outside it. “Open ecosystem” does communicate something very broad and vague in a general grander capacity, but under the context of “is PC significantly more open when compared to consoles”, then in such context, we can tighten it up to say yes, “PC and in this case, Steam Deck is fundamentally a lot more open”.

lmao certainly, that shit can go on and on for ages.

1 Like

Oh shit yeah, following the community-side of a lot of open source tools/OSs will expose you to some of the most annoying takes and people lol. I don’t know the wild west of Linux, but I do know having been in another one (Blender). “Maya is dead”, “lmao Blender does everything Maya can” “Autodesk bad” although this last part is arguably true lol are just ones you commonly see thrown around. But I have grown to observe and navigate through it and found reasons as to why we see this so often - being open source leads to being free in every sense of the word, and the very fact of a more democratized tool leads to a significantly lower barrier of entry, bringing in people who are not really well versed in the industry and its pipelines to suddenly have ideas and opinions that aren’t at all informed by the industry, hence any dumbass who has access to a free tool can go online and say the darndest things. But those who actually use the FOSS tools - the actual contributors, the artists who are in the industry or at least have a little experience, etc rarely engage in such things in my experience. This why for example you’ll never see Daniel Bystedt engage in “DCC wars” (let’s call it that lmao) even though he’s one of the biggest supports of the community out there in the industry.

So as a tangent, I wanna mention that I see FOSS communities being labeled toxic or unwelcoming (which I often see from “industry professionals”) based on what a vocal minority of loud people on forums and youtube do, they see these and go on to equivocate that to mean these people represent the communities. “Ah blender is good, but the community is toxic”. Like no, not really. What represents the community is the actual contributors to it, the ones who actually push forward the tools and philosophy of FOSS in a healthy way, the developers, the artists, the bug triagers, the bug reporters, the translators, I can go on. It’s not some dumbass online who engages in uninformed takes just because he had access to the tool/OS/whatever. As such, it’s a tragedy to poison the well of a community’s health by using its small subset of uninformed toxicity to represent the entirety of the community. Not saying you’re doing that here of course lol, but it’s a point I wanted to bring up cuz we were discussing open source communities.

1 Like

As I mentioned before
 This thread came out at a wrong time for me
 Left PC gaming behind me Today

Anyways
 Let’s get back on topic and talk about how cool Halo Infinte RX 6900 GPU is :fire:

1 Like

“Halo’s destruction was your error, and you rightly bear the blame. But the Council was
 overzealous. We know you are no heretic. This is the true face of heresy, one who would subvert our faith and incite rebellion against the High Council.”

2 Likes

For years I was a PC-first gamer, but for the last 2-3 years I have been gaming almost exclusively on Xbox. I built myself a decent PC (2070 super) a couple of years ago, but I have barely gamed on it at all - though it is my main “work from home” machine.

So, my question is what PC games have I been missing out on over the last three years? What is better on PC than on Xbox or only available on PC?

I’m willing to consider all recommendations, though I probably won’t play a MOBA
 :smile:

2 Likes

send it over to me, thanks. :pray:

3 Likes

RTS - Age of Empires and other rts games that are not recommended without a mouse and KB. Once you like rts you will find hours just going by.

Btw, I cannot bear to see such injustice done to a 2070. Just watching a 2070 do excel and Word might be a atrocity. LOL

2 Likes

I use it every day! For work, but still
 Ha

1 Like

I know

I also record and render lecture videos on it if that makes you feel any better. Ha

Definitely been meaning to try out Halo Wars. I also have several tactical turn-based games downloaded. Just haven’t gotten around to them yet.

Definitely will check out AOE4.

2 Likes

Strangely, it does not. LOL

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I will make it a goal to play a game on it this week then report back to you so you can feel better about it. :laughing:

2 Likes

I am a part of the foss community.

The community is not toxic, but too many Moriartys out there in the communities with a microphone. And I am talking about people with a decent reputatiion and good technical know-how, and not even random folks. The kind of conversation that ends up happening every few months is roughly like gaming. There will always be side effects of such opinions that will rub-off on the regular foss folks.

But when it emerges, it is difficult to watch.

2 Likes

Don’t know if there are any better/missing games on PC

Most of them will be indie titles launching on Steam

Best thing about PC is Mouse and Keyboard support for shooters (which I will be having a hard time adjusting with a controller now)

Second best thing is quality vs frames vs resolution freedom on the PC

But I am sure there will be some games one could miss out.

2 Likes

Who here plays Pokémon?

I want to see the response from nvidia and amd on this. I mentioned this on the Apple event thread too. Good to see that I am not the only one thinking this way.

People think that the biggest risk is Apple - wrong.

MS has a large chip design department already making chips for their Azure servers, both fpga and more. And a growing partnership with Qualcomm.

There response will simply be a GPU architecture which cater to said workload.

RTX 3080 is a gaming GPU and build as per gaming purpose first.

There is no point in comparing RTX GPU with Mac GPU

It’s only fair for those who want Apple ecosystem and work on the said workloads.

That MAC GPU ain’t running games as close as 3080

1 Like