OLED or QLED For next gen

Vincent is just the best in the business. Good soemone spittin facts here

1 Like

Watched the video too.

I understand Vincent very well when he says it’s absolutely not how the creator of the content intended it to look like. Doesn’t mean it can’t still look great to you, but it’s not accurate. But I also agree that when it all comes down to it, the only thing that matters is how YOU experience the picture, except for Vivid picture mode, I mean…no! Jk, even then if someone prefers that…go for it. I avoid it like the plague though.

I find the whole DTM weird too, seems like it really lacks Hgig after all? At the same time I can understand YouTubers going all crazy over this. They see a game in HDR looking so damn bright because of that peak brightness, that automatically wows you.

Ideally LG enters the QD OLED game and brings us that accurate picture from our C9, CXs, C1s, C2s etc but with much higher nits.

Many YouTubers are “fooled” but there are exceptions like the professional calibrator Ninjician I linked to.

2 Likes

I spent some time looking through the last few pages of the Samsung QD-Oled owners thread at AVS. Don’t waste your time. There is no meaningful discussion to be salvaged there. Mostly just personal attacks and bickering. It reminded me of the console fanboy warrior threads.

The one thing I did see was some owners having serious issues with screen dimming or massive flickering using GT7/PS5 or FH5/SeriesX. Some have it, some have it on at least 2 different sets, and some don’t, and they’re trying to figure it out.

1 Like

You can get the C1 and A1 OLEDs for cheaper now that the C2 is out. I would just get one of those. Thats what I did and its totally worth it

1 Like

I received a reply from Tech with KG, one of Keep it Classy Tech’s friends and he said they are all well aware of the TV not being accurate and that he wish Vincent had not made it look like they weren’t aware, since he did have their channels shown in his video.

He says if you don’t care all that much for accuracy this TV is amazing, especially for HDR gaming. Oh I have no doubt about that. The higher peak brightness is going to be ideal for a well lit room and overall for those pretty effects in HDR it’s going to be great. Just not worthy of 3000+ euros though.

Who knows maybe next year when the price starts to come down. But for now, C9 it is. :slight_smile: this January it was my second year of using the TV.

1 Like

Yeah, issues with TVs can be a huge bitch, oh man. And especially if you have a store that doesn’t have super great service. I had that with a Panasonic plasma years ago, never again at that store. It does seem that all sets so far have no DSE, no dark corners, no banding, so that’s great. But dimming and flickering is super annoying though.

2 Likes

Im still in the market for a new TV. The LG C1 I ordered last black friday didnt arrive till the end of February, it was just lost in the ether for months, then when it did arrive it was completely broken. The screen was cracked and it wouldnt even power on.

Then it took another month to get a refund.

I decided Im not ordering anything like that ever again. I just got a costco card and when I finally decide what to get (probably a C2) I will just go pick it up.

3 Likes

wrap it up guys, QD-OLED is the winner

Eventually but not this year. Maybe next year when a reasonably priced display is offered by someone who cares for color accuracy and features.

1 Like

yup affordable and just better. I may get one this summer but probably will hold out till the 2nd generation models next year.

1 Like

the production rate of QD-OLED just had a major breakthrough at samsung. It will be more affordable and better by the end of the year.

1 Like

nice, I saw on stop the fomo that it was recently up to around 70-75% so that’s exciting.

1 Like

Yea QD-OLED seems to be making some noise as the best new panel tech.

The Samsung can do color accuracy its just the default modes are over exaggerated but the TV itself can do it if calibrated correctly.

Perhaps, but HDTVTest said the early adjustments mentioned elsewhere produced crushed details. So we’ll see what HDTVTest and RTings end up with after spending a lot more time with the set to dial it in with full calibration.

Then you still have to deal with other things like absolutely no support for the industry-wide standard of Dolby Vision. There’s also a matter of costs, where its $1300 more than a C1 [$3000 vs $1700). We also need to see if more owners are having flickering and dimming issues with PS5 or SeriesX gaming with GT7/FH5 or other titles.

I don’t doubt the panel technology, just the early implementation of it in consumer products.

2 Likes

It’s still early on but the panel tech itself seems solid and next gen, we will see how the Sony QD-OLED lands but for a brand new panel tech it seems the QD-OLED is very solid. 1st gen OLED’s had more major issues. When prices drop in the fall a 1st gen QD-OLED might be a viable long term option which is rare for 1st gen tech.

3 Likes

C1’s are discounted right now as they are trying to clear out stock. you’d probably want to compare pricing data to the C2/G2 models to get a better depiction of price.

MSRP for C2 at 65 inches is $2499 MSRP for G2 at 65 inches is $2999

So it gets to be a bit more interesting as the Samsung QD-Oled is just better than a G2 and it’s the same price. Even if you are comparing a C2 to QD-oled model for $500 you are getting a much better picture.

Your comment about Samsung and dolby vision is fair but you also don’t mention that qd-oled can hit 1500 nits at peak where a C2 can get 677 nits at peak. Thats a huge difference for most people the dolby vision implementation of HDR isn’t going to be more noticeable than the extra overall brightness paired with HDR10.

This also doesn’t take into account that other Sony also has qd-oled models which do support dolby vision. So If thats something that is key there are options. The sony models are a bit more expensive though. However, like most things extra features means extra money.

This being first generation one would only expect cost to go down more and more especially as adoption picks up. Starting out at 3000 dollars is nearly unheard of. Normally we see this kind of tech start out at 5 or 6 thousand. So it already being affordable makes this a very interesting battle to watch. As seemingly overnight LG panels turned into a mid-range brand unless tehy can do something to boost the amounts of Nits there panels can output without sacrificing lifespan. However based on there own reports that does not seem possible. But they could be sitting on something.

1 Like

Like $1500-$1700 more expensive as the Sony QD-Oled seems to be in the $4000 - $4200 price range. That’s obscene to pay the same price as a last-gen C1 for Dolby Vision feature that even $600 entry-level sets from TCL supports. Fairly certain the C2 prices will drop later in the year. They tend to drop to around $2K around November shopping season. As I said earlier, I’d rather get a C1/C2 today and upgrade again in a few years for a C5/C6 than to stick with a first-gen Sony QD-OLED. So two sets over a 6 year range for close to the same price as just 1 set. But that’s just my view on a cost benefit analysis.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the QD-OLED Panel Tech looks amazing but it’s a genuine shame the shenanigans that the rest of Samsung is pulling.

Also yes, the starting price of the QD-OLED Panel is amazing compared to other new consumer tech in the past.

2 Likes

I was going to go 65" but the C1 55" is down to $1099 right now, so Im leaning more towards your philosophy on this. The 65" is down to $1699 but Im not sure the size increase is worth the extra $600. If the 65 came down about 200 more dollars…Id probably bite

1 Like

I get that, i just think the difference in nits is something that can’t be overlooked as it’s more than double 677 nits at peak on a lg c2 vs peak of 1500. I’m also curious what your use case is where dolby vision is specifically required over hdr10.

The difference in nits would more than make up for the loss of dolby vision and being forced to use hdr10 if on a Samsung panel as without the increase of nits you can’t get the true value of dolby vision to begin with. Which outside of burn in concerns has been the biggest gripe people have with lg’s oled tech.

The price considerations are fair. I wouldn’t consider the sony model. If i was going qd-oled I would get the Samsung model as the sony model doesn’t do enough to warrant the extra 1000. Where 2500 vs 3000 for more than double the nits is worth it to me.

I will be curious to see the rtings breakdown last time i checked they hadn’t reviewed yet.