Nvidia Event thread 1st sep 9am PT/12pm ET/ 5pm uk time

After this i would not be surprised of we see a 24tflops 60Rt-tflops or higher series Z in 2023. Even 24tflops seems not that strong when the rtx 3080 is 28tflops in 2020.

1 Like

Amazing presentation by Nvidia, and impressive cards. Now, its AMD’s turn to show their hand.

I think this might have convinced me to hold off on new consoles this year and just build a new PC. And I was dead set on getting Series X.

a 250-300USD Series S looking more and more likely. 4TF machine at anything more and you basically shifted your Xbox crowd to PC where you also get all the first party games and own a GPU that’s more powerful than a Series X

Literally all the console people claiming “lol the equivalent pc is gonna cost 2000 dollars” gon be awfully quiet now.

3080-136 SMs

I am losing my mind😱

Or am i missing something?

1 Like

Of intersting note is RTX IO for dedicated HW decompression of assets. It also has support for Direct Storage API

1 Like

Probably why Microsoft are not worried about sonys ssd, 3rd parties will be using a Microsoft solution on PC + Xbox.

2 Likes

Can you site this for me? Maybe a timestamp in the video? I’m still a couple hours away from being able to watch. This could really sway me back to single player PC games if implemented and performance gains are even partially as realistic as MS have noted for the Series X.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

and from the presentation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKx-eMAVK70&feature=youtu.be&t=1367

edit: Also some information from the directx blog https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

1 Like

Some wild numbers for performance.

And still I will not spend more than 300 Euros for a GPU. Sorry Nvidia & AMD.

Had built a new PC at the start of 2019 and got my fair share of driver issues, games not running and so on since then. Console gaming is so much better. No stress, just play.

Seeing Xbox mentioned as a RT benchmark was weird btw. Very weird.

RTX IO just does what Xbox and Playstation does for its SSDs but having RTXIO using DirectStorage is a plus for XBox as many games will support this now and in result no additional efforts for Xbox ports while for Sony there will be. Advantage Xbox I would suggest.

2 Likes

This basically validates Microsoft solution and philosophy for SSD overall.

My anticipation is tempered: “Microsoft is targeting a developer preview of DirectStorage for Windows for game developers next year, and NVIDIA RTX gamers will be able to take advantage of RTX IO-enhanced games as soon as they become available.” (From the Nvidia page you linked, emphasis added).

I’ll still plan a Series X (or three) for the family co-op gaming and patiently wait until next year to see how Direct Storage pans out in games on the new GPUs.

3050 might fit in your $300 budget.

It could potentially have

Adoption always takes time, but to have an equivalent on PC now gives the API a broader platform that will benefit the support for it. At least better than having a proprietary standard like Playstation has.

2 Likes

This is a HUGE reason I lean towards console. That, and guaranteed controller support along with “pick up and play” ease of use.

Maybe as the XsX isn’t RDNA 1.9 and is fully RDNA 2 :wink:

I jest, I jest.

I would still not buy one. As I mentioned console gaming is almost stress free - the only time it can annoy you if Xbox Live is down or you want to play but have to install a system update :wink:

1 Like

I never was a fan of those RDNA 1.x discussions. As the wise Albert Penello explained at another place, console SOCs are completely custom and are build on IP that is available. They are not comparable what is or will be available in the PC space. Though I strongly believe that the SOC of the Xbox Series X | S is more feature rich with Mesh shaders, SFS, VRS and ML capabilities that PS5 assumably doesn’t support.

That’s why I love consoles. Do you think the differences will be big?