No Smart Delivery for Control. Only Ultimate Edition gets free next gen update

This game does not support smart delivery.

The game has an upgraded version for those that pay?

There is an upgrade token like Madden or NBA 2K but it is not using Microsoft’s Smart Delivery API

Ok, but if you buy it on the Xbox one s, then upgrade to an XsX in a years time and redownloaded it. The backend would recognize the console and the smart delivery system would automatically download the appropriate version. Nothing to do with the devs there

I’m not sure how it works here, I think it gives you a token for the XSX version but it doesn’t use the smart delivery system you described. So it might not work like that.

That is exactly how it works. They can’t obviously force devs to do free upgrades, but the backend recognizes what console you have and gives you the correct version.

So like I said, if you buy it now and upgrade your console later, smart delivery will take care of it for you.

Yeah, but only for smart delivery games. This game doesn’t support it

Well, of course. It is literally what this thread is all about. They didn’t want to embrace the new platform policy.

Smart delivery is not just about free upgrades. It’s about the backend recognizing the end users hardware and making sure that they have the correct version.

Making it idiot proof.

On games like this, if you buy the ultimate version and have the one s, it isn’t going to download the XsX optimised version or make you go in and manually select it. It is done for you through smart delivery…

The “smart delivery” name should be the biggest clue.

Another example would be gears 5. When you you transfer your games from your Xbox one to your XsX, the backend will see this and automatically download you the best version without you having to do anything.

They just need to extend it to season pass people as well. That is basically the ultimate edition.

We know it’s not about free upgrades. This game is literally not using smart delivery. There is no smart delivery label anywhere for this. The Xbox one version of the ultimate edition includes an upgrade for the XSX SKU. But it is not all one SKU like smart delivery games are.

1 Like

see i loved Quantum Break & was waiting for control on next gen has ive heard it didn’t run the smoothest on current gen, but after this in thinkinh of just dodging the game completely cause of them being greedy sods

Late response on this as I missed the ping, I don’t disagree with what you are saying, it just may be that 505/remedy did the maths on both approaches and the choice came out as either no next gen version or a separate SKU. Obv. Your option is also a possibility.

I’m glad I didn’t buy it yet. Absolutely terrible decision - should upgrade season pass people as well

This is what I appreciate with MS’s approach.

They exerted soft power by declaring what their intentions were with Smart Delivery. 3rd parties are obviously free to adopt the policy. But those that didn’t are clearly being called out here.

This is getting absurd: 505 Games has accidentally upgraded owners of the Digital Deluxe edition of Control to the Ultimate Edition (which includes next-gen compatibility) - and then reversed it

This product upgrade was deemed as “not possible” before

–

Well, well, well… this looks like when Sony “accidently” turned on cross-play for Fortnite, lol.

505 Games is making it real easy for me to not be a customer.

Yeah, this is a bummer. I got the base version of Control on PS4 and was willing to double dip when I switched to Xbox, especially with the Alan Wake-themed DLC. Can’t support this scumminess in good conscience, though, so I guess I’ll just read about it or watch a let’s play =/