No Smart Delivery for Control. Only Ultimate Edition gets free next gen update

This is a horrible way to treat the folks that bought your game.

1 Like

Next gen updates should be free in my opinion. Especially when you factor the PC version in the mix which is already essentially the next-gen version and gets free updates. This is a big fu to the people who bought it early.

2 Likes

Not only that, but Control doesn’t exactly fit the “year old game” category. Remedy has stated they have plans to expand the game much further, not entirely as a GaaS, but if the game will go on receiving updates AFTER the next-gen consoles are released AND will be released on these next-gen platforms, so it makes total sense to embrace Smart Delivery.

1 Like

I definitely won’t be buying it again after already giving them the full MSRP for the game and DLC. This is a shitty business practice, and it’s weird coming from Remedy, but I’m pretty solid on my belief that this type of behavior shouldn’t be rewarded regardless of the developer.

1 Like

This decision stands in stark contrast to Microsoft’s approach, and I’d say this is why the Smart Delivery moniker is needed. It’s still not always the case that games will get that kind of free upgrade path, unfortunately. I get that 505 Games and Remedy are both small companies, but this wasn’t the way to go about this.

1 Like

This game should be really fun to see with RT effects on the XSX. I’m sure DF will make comparisons with pc and ps5. Hopefully the patch comes out this year

Remedy have always had a similar approach though it was the same for the 1x upgrade for QB, they had no plans to do a 1x version at all. The update they did release was done by 1 dev who from the sound of it did it on his own initiative.

At the end of the day it’s work, so costs them money, not all devs will or will be able to justify the cost against PR value especially as the old version will be BC so people who brought the original will still get to play the version they payed for.

They should absolutely be free! Especially when you consider Control where most of the enhancements would only require porting much of the RT code to DXRT, at least for the XSX.

I hope they enjoy the not getting my money edition of the game as well. Fuck them for this.

2 Likes

It is one thing to say they are not going to do the work, but it is another thing to say they are going to do the work involved, but not give it to the people who bought the game at full price and the expansion pass at full price and make them buy the game again. They are literally screwing the people who were most supportive of them. If you have the game and the DLC they should automatically upgrade your SKU to the ultimate edition and give you the free upgrade. I’m pretty sure this is totally doable and has happened to other games on both storefronts.

3 Likes

I hope we get a quantum break patch for series X

This is not a good look.

I thought that smart delivery was just the azure backend knowing what version to download depending on the console and nothing to do with whether or not the upgrade was payable?

Am I missing something here? When I see “supports smart delivery” for an upgrade, I feel that people have missed the point… Or again is it me that missed the point?

Smart Delivery is meant to be done without any additional cost to the consumer - it isn’t just a technical feature, it is a platform policy.

1 Like

Smart delivery allows the correct version to be downloaded to the correct device. It similar to what we see today between the Xbox One X and S models. If you download on the S, you get the base game but if you download on the X, you get 4K textures when provided and additional modes or performance levels. Smart delivery is basically taking that idea and applying it to the series X.

The thing that gets me about this is

A- You’re rewarding the person who waited to get your game. That person gets it now and gets the goodies for basically waiting.

B- You’re screwing the people that supported you and got the game up until now. Because you’re forcing them to buy the game again which to me is not acceptable.

The gist of this whole thing is that in doing what they’re doing, they are in essence encouraging people to not buy their games at launch. Because they’re willing to reward those who wait.

3 Likes

Precisely. Impressive how they can mess their plans so easily.

In fact they can do both, reward people who were here 1st and newcomers.

They wanted more money but in the end by such a move they will get less money seeing how it turned away lots of gamers.

Yep. Calls like these screw over their biggest fans, those who bought their games early, rewarding their casual fans who only buy their stuff when they become cheap. If this is their mentality, no way I’m buying their game until they get the “definitive” version.

Yeah but in this situation it is not anything to do with smart delivery. You have to pay for the upgrade. So no matter what console you play on, you get what you pay for. You could buy the ultimate addition on the Xbox one s. But, a year down the line you could upgrade to the XsX and redownload it, then smart delivery will recognize the difference and download the correct version.

Or is the ultimate addition only available for the next gen systems?