NieR Replicant - Hype Check

That stuff is cool, don’t get me wrong. Looking forward to it coming in the public build.

That said, I don’t want less guesswork - I want more games to support QR. I don’t know if it’s on the game side (if the developers are responsible for it) or if it’s on Xbox’s side (and the OS just isn’t stable/optimized enough) but for a feature that’s so heavily marketed…it doesn’t work as often as it should.

Fuck this game is so good, and really feels more like Nier Automata than Nier Automata felt like Nier.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with you. The way it is now, I make sure I save manually before feeling safe enough to change games or turn the system off. I want a function I know I can trust, but I’m cutting them a bit of slack for now because it’s a new feature and the pandemic. I really do hope that it’ll get to the point where it’s pretty much seamless.

Soundtrack is phenomenal too. I’m only about halfway through my first playthrough I think but I like Automata’s better so far.

Some aspects are better. The main issues i have even though I played and beat Gestalt on 360 are

• I wish they’d have changed the structure of some of those sidequests. They are straight up PS2 era backtracking repetitive sidequests that even on the 360 were a bit outdated. They didn’t really do anything to try and pace the sidequests early game in this which is a shame. You don’t unlock fast travel until over 12 hours in. Those first 4-5 hours has a whole lot of running from one area to another constantly if your’e trying to do all sidequests. Its cool for a while but wish they’d looked at that and improved it. I was doing everything 100% until about 10 hours in when i sort of just stopped doing all the repetitive tasks. The constant backtracking got a bit annoying so I started to just Mainline it. Of course i’ll try and get the weapons for the ending.

• The combat is clearly better than the original, however even on Hard the game is ridiculously easy. I Feel like they made the combat better but everything else stayed the same…so you’re a wrecking beast but noone else got an upgrade.

The simplicity and design of the game is what i like more than Automata though. Automata is an outstanding game but the systems within its core were a bit obtuse like the chip system and the level design was awful in that game. This game is more bog standard old school and i kind of appreciate that. The Map system is also infinitely better than Automata.

1 Like

Just got ending A…I’m genuinely shocked at how good the themes of the main story beats are once a few of the big questions get answered. There’s both a very original and elegant storyline which could be done in a book/show/film, and then a few meaningful things that could only be done in a game.

A lot of the errand-running felt like Pathologic in that it seemed the devs wanted it to be a little frustrating, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t get a bit tiresome. Also a good portion of the smaller story beats were dramatically worse, although a few sections and side stories certainly held up. Might forget about achievements and speedrun the rest for the great story.

1 Like

best on Xbox series X

4 Likes