New Final Fantasy game timed exclusive to PS5

I dont even care about FF games. They have been bad for a while now. When I saw the reveal for FF16. My reaction was literally meh. IDGAF.

Whoever said Dragon Quest Day 1 has got it right. DQ is awesome.

1 Like

It’s unprecedented on this scale. The brand is being damaged irreparably by continually eschewing other platforms - you can’t tell me that a massive, multiplatform IP limiting itself to a new platform of only a few million owners isn’t destructive. Yet here we are.

Regardless of the motives, it’s clear Final Fantasy the IP is essentially exclusive to PS5. Scraps will fall off the table, years down the line, to the dogs with Xbox, Nintendo or PC, but essentially it’s exclusive.

I’ll not be giving SE another penny of my business. I paid for every single FF and KH game that released on Xbox, a few of them both digital and physical, to support the growth of the brand on the platform. They’ve thrown our support down the toilet. Fuck them.

1 Like

Wonder if it’s the FF 7 sequel

1 Like

Its a no win scenario for sony reguarding timed exclusivity and acquisitions. Microsoft are willing to spend more.

Short term playstation are doing well, but they are not the most forward thinking company.

1 Like

Yeah, they have substantially alienated any possible growth scenario on Xbox or even of PC for fast checks. Many people on Xbox who bought their games now won’t see the sequels for God only knows how many years, ok…

They still get the most sales though and so the most revenue so they are doing just fine, seems like people are willing to support their business model.

To play devil’s advocate a bit, I think that kind of statement means the current default and not the origin. There are more mainline FF games on PlayStation than there were on Nintendo now (though the V and VI are on SNES and they’re better than all the others put together)

Well, it’s still debatable, considering 1-6 were exclusive to Nintento, 7-10 and 12 were on PS, but 11 was a MMO, so as 14, 13 and 15 were multiplatform…there series hasn’t a “home” since many years ago, until these new annoying deals.

1 Like

Yup, but I’m not talking about exclusivity, I’m talking about defaults. The idea being “if you want to play a Final Fantasy game for sure, get a PlayStation” and not “Final Fantasy games will only ever release on PlayStation”. The Nintendo games have been ported and remade for example.

Before these deals there were more FFs on Xbox than PS thanks to backwards compatibiliy, the Fabula Nova Crystallis (FF13 trilogy) still is because of Sony ineptitude and SE unwilingness to remaster it.

2 Likes

You and I are taking home to mean “the place where you can play the most of them” and they mean “the place where you don’t need to even think about the possibility of missing out on a new one”. Incidentally, how are XIII-2 and 3? I didn’t like XIII much when I played it way back when.

13 is bad, 13-2 a bit better, I didn’t play Lighting Returns.

Anyway, we’ll see if MS will act in some way shape or form or they’ll passively accept the fact like SFV, but they could regret like the fighting games diaspora happened after that deal. If you don’t fight for the biggest jrpg, how the creators of other jrpg series could trust your commitment to the genre?

It would be absolutely awful if JRPGs fled the platform, no argument there!

1 Like

I can’t blame Sony or Square for doing this, it’s smart business.

Microsoft would make this less and less likely by selling more units of the Xbox. Hypothetically if, by 2025, there are 75 million PS5 units sold and 60 million Series consoles sold then it’ll take a lot more money for Sony to pay for a year’s worth of exclusivity. And if, by that time, 5G is readily available so that there are another 20 million phones and tablets that use it to play Xbox games then the cost for Sony gets even higher.

We can have our own opinions on Final Fantasy as a brand but it’s an attention grabber. I don’t care much for a Roblox or Five Nights at Freddy’s but I know that as brands they are pretty massive.

4 Likes

How much it’s really smart? No big third party does this anymore and even for japanese series, it’s fresh news that the multiplatform launch of Yakuza LAD was the most successfull of the series ever, so…if SE was Sony property it would make sense, for how it is now it’s only a narrow minded strategy by SE, they are limiting the growth of the franchise, this is inescapable, Sony hasn’t even pc and/or cloud offering as MS for Bethesda titles, which guarantee that those series won’t be harmstrung, FF is limited to PS consoles.

3 Likes

13 is very linear in its design, in 2010 this was very controversial. With a lot of most recent games beeing open world you might enjoy it. I liked the world and mechanics in 13-2 a lot better even if the story is some time travel stupidity. 13-3 is different, on a lower budget and more like an action RPG (i didn’t spent a lot of time with it).

Thank you both for your insight. The linearity in XIII is a big part of what turned me off, since my favorite thing is when the world opens up and you can explore at your leisure (something that V and VI did incredibly well) I’ll keep an eye on XIII-2 and see if it goes on sale at least :slightly_smiling_face:

Turn based was a necessity of the time because of hardware limitations, now that has not been a thing for a long time turn based combat to me just seems kind of stupid and silly.

End of the story if you want Final Fantasy get an PS5 if you want big WRPGs get an xbox. Choose your poison. If you want both. Well… $$$

Don’t care about the main line FF series but I am interested to see what this new Final Fantasy game ends up being.