MS needs to keep Zenimax exclusive

Another thing we need to consider is sony strengthening PSnow. If sony make there first party on PSnow day 1 and continue to add devs they will threaten Microsoft business, it would not make to much sense to not use all of Microsofts advantages.

3 Likes

Agree 100% with the TC.

Watching Spencer’s interview with Bloomberg (it was in Rand’s video), it really sounds like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will be the last PS4/PS5 games from Bethesda because he talks about doing something for the Xbox fanbase which I agree with 100% and keeping their games exclusive to the Xbox eco-system would do just that.

1 Like

As someone who has owned every console since day one. Yep, keep these games for your loyal customer base.

WHile I agree this to an extent I really don’t want to see this as rewarding people who stuck with Xbox and punishing Playstation players, rather then offering Playstation players something they can’t get on Xbox. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people who see the former that MS is giving a big middle finger to Playstation and their fanbase

I mean…the way some people talk they make it sound like if they’re a Playstation fan that wants to get an Xbox, that Phil would tell them Fk right off. When in reality they’d be welcomed with open arms

Microsoft did not spend 7.5 billion dollars to get these games into Game Pass and stay multi-platform.

I mentioned this in the other thread.

They want you in their ecosystem - Xbox, XCloud and PC.

This is not about recouping 7.5 billion dollars CASH from a trillion dollar company.

They want to lure you into their service. By publishing games the PS5 they are leaving subscription numbers and dollars on the table. There is no incentive pulling them away from their console to what Microsoft and Xbox are trying to build.

I truly believe the thought of a heavy hitter like Starfield on PS5 is wishful thinking.

1 Like

People thinking these games will end up on the PS5 are delusional. Some MAY end up on the switch but that is probably it as far as non MS consoles.

1 Like

It’s giving me a less valuable console. Sure I can still play the games from Beth on XSX, but I can’t play TLOU or GOW on the XSX. So I have to go out and buy a PS5 as well and invest in that ecosystem as well, while the PS owner doesn’t. That makes the PS a far more valuable proposition than Xbox. And I don’t use GP, so that value is irrelevant to me. MS make.more money from me buying the games outright, than they do from someone just paying for GP.

How does selling a game on PS increase GP subs? It doesn’t. Releasing your games on PS makes it so there isn’t a reason for a PS person to get an Xbox or GP. If a PS person sees the new Doom, Rage, TES, etc on Xbox or PC, and the only way to play them is to get them on PC or Xbox, then he is far more likely to move to GP. And dreams of Sony allowing GP on PS is just that, dreams.

By that logic they should dump Xbox and go full third party. If you are using the logic that they stay in hardware to get the 30% cut of sales on the Xbox, then they need to sell more Xboxs to get more of that 30%, and they way you sell more consoles is to have exclusives that you can’t get on PS.

One thing that’s great is they are all coming to Xbox And gamepass day one. I don’t have to worry about these decisions.

Watch this episode of the RDX Podcast, Jez shows up and explains why future Bethesda games will be exclusive

Microsoft doesn’t need the PS5 user base, they have xCloud and the mobile market which massively will eclipse the PS5 user base. By the time the bigger heavy hitters come out I believe they’ll have worked out a deal for xCloud on iOS as well…

1 Like

OK I can see your point but if you planned to buy a PS5 anyway, you can still benefit by buying one system instead of two and playing everything on the PS5. You lose nothing either way and actually gain a few hundred dollars in the process.

Is there a timestamp when that happens?

Stream is still going on live, I’ll get a time stamp afterwards

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that these games will all be Xbox exclusives. Imagine if Sony had purchased Bethesda. Would we be debating whether Sony might let Elder Scrolls stay on Xbox just to be a pal? Hell no, we’d be kissing the series goodbye. There would be zero serious discussion about the game remaining multiplat.

1 Like

Im kinda torn because on the one hand, I think all exclusives are dumb and people should be able to play what they want wherever. On the other hand, they have to change the narrative and Sony isn’t going to stop buying timed exclusives and despite what they say they’re still competing with Sony in some form. There’s a lot of ways they can go with this and few are bad depending on their priorities.

I honestly think when Phil says case by case basis, he is 100% right. That said, I suspect all Zenimax games are a timed exclusive at a minimum and a full exclusive in most instances, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online and the mobile games excepted. However, if, for example, the new game from Tango isn’t performing 100% up to expectations, maybe they bring to PS5 for a small cash infusion. They also like Nintendo so maybe Id’s games can still come later. Depends on if Switch Pro is true and genuinely attempts to compete on power.

But Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Fallout. Those are subscription sellers and platform sellers and they likely will remain exclusive unless…

MS wants a bargaining chip. If Sony wants to go nuts on timed exclusives and blocking Crossplay, that’s their right, but even dangling a year later port of Elder Scrolls 6 is tantilizing. Maybe we see titles like Demon’s Souls and God of War come to Xbox in return. Snowball’s chance in hell of that happening though

I’d prefer thinking of it as MS putting these teams in a position where they can afford to experiment with stuff like machine learning tech that can then be shared among the 23 studios. The potential for some insane technical advances is ripe here and those studios couldn’t have access to that on PS5 since it lacks ML inference hardware. Also, making them focus on Xbox/PC means they consolidate their tech base around DirectX and advancing rendering tech in ways that make use of MS’s strengths.

I think its very personal which game selection a console provides a person prefers. Sony did well this gen with its grand and high quality narritive and gameplay heavy games, these games resonated with more people.

I learned this gen not to trust reviews at all. While I enjoyed god of war and Spiderman they had some negetives which were not reflective in the review scores. The point is most people dont like most of the exclusives, people like 1 or 2 maybe 3. Which is why I think a greater diversity of 85-90meta games is better then fewer 90-100meta games.

Right now xbox seems like the better console to have in solidarity when looking at the entirety of the generation. But both companies will have there better years.

starts around 1:15:00