Movies and TV shows thread

I thought you may have, you sound very much like me :wink:.

I just thought of another good Korean ‘revenge’ themed show that I watched recently: “The Glory”. It’s also on Netflix :+1:.

1 Like

That one got recommended yesterday, but I appreciate it. And it’s up next for me!

Yeah man, once I had seen Oldboy for the first time I immediately went to IDMB to see what other movies Park Chan Wook had made, and looking up in what other movies Choi-min Sik starred in. That way I found out about I saw the Devil, and from there amazing movies like A bittersweet Life and of course from Park chan Wook gems like Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, and Lady Vengeance.

Oh man, all those movies just hit different. So different that Hollywood just doesn’t come close. Netflix has a lot, did not realise they had this much Korean content, lovely!

1 Like

Yeah, Netflix went hard on Korean content a few years ago and it’s been great.

2 Likes

I will say one thing about Korean shows, it’s that I do find names of characters at times extremely confusing. So many are almost identical to each other that at times it has me looking up on IMDB who he/she was again, lol.

2 Likes

One thing to note there - typically the name you hear first will be a family name / surname / last name, and frequently in Korea people do have the same surname - there’s a decent article with some interesting info about why that is here: Kim, Park And Lee: Why Do Koreans Have So Few Surnames? | IBTimes

Once you get past that, it’s a little easier sometimes to listen for differences in peoples’ given names. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

BTW - some interesting reading on part of why Netflix loves Korean content (TL;DR: it can be a lot cheaper & there aren’t some of the same worker protections places like the US have). The LA Times one really gets into some of the practices that are common in productions in Korea (not a problem exclusive to Netflix to be fair) - the work hours stuff is pretty shocking to me.

1 Like

I’m not Park Chan-wook’s biggest fan, but I really liked Decision to Leave (2022).

Holy shit, I don’t easily or often hate a character in a show but The Glory has one that I absolutely despise. I genuinely want this character to die a horrible death, these are Goffrey levels of hatrred, holy shit what a horribly vile, disgusting person. Each time this character opens her trap I’m like…just drop dead already.

Kudos I guess for the great acting, but I genuinely rather not see this actress again. Wow.

2 Likes

Thought you’d ‘like’ it :wink:.

1 Like

Yes, it was very good. Just finished it. :slight_smile:

This is absolutely crazy though.

Will The Glory have a Season 2?

The Glory Season 2 Is Not Confirmed

Recent developments have cast a shadow of uncertainty over the future of The Glory. In March 2023, Ahn Gil-ho, the acclaimed director of the series, faced serious allegations of bullying.20 jan 2024

Not that a second season is needed but sheesh!

1 Like

So after The Glory I went to check out D.P.

A Korean show about the military, why not I thought? But it really is so much more. It’s about bullying, mental health, it even has some humor in there and characters you can easily care about.

Highly recommend it. Just finished season 1 which consists of 6 episodes.

1 Like

I will add that to my list! :+1:

I have just started watching Dr Brain, only a few episodes in but enjoying it so far.

1 Like

So excited for this!

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/1756832073904484837?t=Jy38j1cklfiwu7Juw_jahw&s=19

1 Like

I’m more excited for Twisters.

1 Like

Oooh I have so much nostalgia for the original, hope it’s good :+1:.

Most Reddit movie ever

1 Like

Not watching it, wanna go in fresh 100%.

I just hope they don’t fuck it up.

1 Like

Well without spoiling anything I think they have the tone perfect (which I was concerned about) :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Monarch, Lessons in Chemistry, For all Mankind S4, Masters of the Air, Criminal Record. Apple TV+ has been so amazing lately. Comfortably the best streaming content these days.

1 Like

Dune was playing in my cinema today with a brief sneak peak at part two at the end.

They showed sandworm riding, quite cool! And a brief teaser with new footage after it. Looking forward to part two!

As for the first movie, one question :sled:

How did Paul and his mother know how to use the speech to persuade the guys in the chopper to kill each other and free them?

This is gonna be good

1 Like