Movies and TV shows thread

Finally saw the new Avatar over the weekend. I was definitely a skeptic on this one before it released. I liked the original Avatar a lot, but it had been so long, and there were so many new ones planned (3? 4?) I kind of thought this new franchise was just a cash grab that was probably skippable. Ha…

While not a perfect movie by any stretch, this was absolutely an S-tier film. I spent most of the movie just goggling at the visuals and trying to figure out how Cameron achieved certain effects. I could definitely spend hours watching behind the scenes features on this one.

The biggest mixed bag for me was the high frame rate filming technique. In the all digital scenes I thought it worked perfectly. Lots of those shots were among the most beautiful things I have ever seen on film. But, when the live actors were on screen I often got the dreaded “soap opera effect” from the high frame rate. I know Cameron switched back and forth between HFR and standard frame rate frequently (sometimes multiple times in a single scene). I’m not sure if it bothered me every time, but there were MANY times I could definitely tell when the switch happened (because the soap opera effect was so pronounced).

Anyway, I liked it a lot overall, despite the HFR issues. I am now eagerly awaiting the next one.

3 Likes

I thought the first episode of The Last of Us was excellent. I think my concerns about Bella Ramsey as Ellie are over as she seemed to nail the part for me.The Joel and Sarah moment didn’t hit me like it did in the game but probably because I’ve experienced that 3 times now. Will be interesting to see my wife’s reaction to it tonight from a “normie” point of view.

See, I knew it. It wasn’t HFR 100% of the time, kinda wish it was because it was a bit odd seeing the standard framerate bits right after it.

1 Like

Watched the first episode of TLoU and I thought they nailed the outbreak sequence perfectly. It literally was the game come to the small screen.

Yep, that’s exactly the way to describe it. It’s well acted, faithful to the source material but also a story I know from top to bottom. And while some things will probably go different, we also know how it will end. For those that don’t know the story it’s going to be extra good.

That being said, I don’t agree with the insane praise it got from some sources. Saying it’s the best of TV in years and all that hyperbole. It isn’t for me. But it’s TLOU and there’s bound to be hyperbole then, in my opinion.

Oh 100%. I thought about this as soon as it ended.

I don’t know because expectations were raised, but it was good but nowhere near as good as what some outlets were proclaiming.

1 Like

Why are you talking about it like it’s over? There has only been 1 of 9 episodes.

I mean, I’m not saying I’m convinced of the praise myself, but I tend not to come to conclusions having only seen 10% of something.

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like
4 Likes

Ooooh, wait.

I thought the media meant solely the pilot. They actually saw the whole show? Ok. No what I meant was solely the pilot.

Correct, the majority of the critics were shown the entire series, so the critical praise, particularly the RT score is based on the full 9 episode run.

3 Likes

Huge.

2 Likes

Totally earned, the pilot was great

1 Like

Yeah, huge. This show is talked about everywhere too, PlayStation getting even more excellent marketing lol.

1 Like

It absolutely deserves it.

Personally if it keeps up the same quality/pace I think it will be the best video game adaptation of all time.

It’s definitely done the game justice so far.

It’s going to be hard to beat Arcane for me personally but this seems like it’s EASILY going to be the best live adaptation.

1 Like

I say Blinx by Illumination :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

deserved

mass effects sort of has one by their inspiration which was babylon 5 which had 4 great seasons in but be warned it’s is 1990’s graphics

2 Likes

There are some really good sci-fi shows out there. I remember years ago watching BSG, the newer one, but never finished it. There’s also Lost in Space and The Expanse. So much to watch still. I’ll add Babylon 5 to it, I’ll give it a chance.