Movies and TV shows thread

Bit late to the party but I watched Prey last night… Holy shit, it was an actually good Predator movie! The CGI animals was terrible at times though… very distracting.

Incredible to watch it in the Comanche language though.

2 Likes

Started watching Sandman tonight and I’m loving it. Haven’t ever read them, but we do actually have the 3 volume hardcover collection. Definitely will check it out now.

1 Like

I rewatched The Hunt for Red October. It made me want to reread the book and revisit Tom Clancy books in general.

Also, I finished Bosch recently. My favorite TV series is the original Law & Order, and Bosch gave me a bit of the first half of every L&O episode. Lance Riddick was by far the best actor imo. My main issue with Bosch was that his family got into mortal danger way too often. I hate when these cop dramas feel the need to raise the stakes by making the crimes connect with the detective’s family or have the criminal attempt a hit on the detective/family. Imo this pushes the show towards soap opera territory. There is enough drama in criminal investigations and police work in general to keep the audience invested without that kind of thing.

1 Like

I used to absolutely love Clancy books, but the last time I tried to read one I realized some of his characters always talk the same way, use the same offhand expressions that no one would ever say and it annoyed me a bit. Really liked all of the older ones before the Campus stuff. My political leaning has also changed dramatically from when I first read his stuff and that might have had an impact on my enjoyment as well.

Really miss the original concept of Rainbow 6 as a game which fit around the events of the book, where you pre-planned squad movements to collapse in on the targets and it was more strategy focused. Wonder if I can get my old copy of that and rogue spear running on windows 11.

I recently picked up a disc copy of K19 the Widowmaker (submarine movie) which apparently has issues in the US with whoever owns the digital rights not allowing it to be sold any more. I remember getting this out of the library years ago and really liking the story. In a way it’s kind of the opposite of Red October but still pretty good. Sad movie though.

Watched more of Sandman and am just blown away by it. 5th episode could be a stage play, was a tad gruesome but very good. Loved the 6th episode so much. Watched through 9th and that story is really engrossing as well. Sadly have to wait a few days before I can finish it but this is SOO good. If they could just hurry up and approve making the rest of it…

1 Like

The other Tom Clancy book I got really into was Rainbow Six. It was cool reading about the planning and setup needed to resolve a hostage situation. There is a lot of material there to mine into a solo/co-op game.

In terms of politics, I recall Hunt for Red October being thoughtful enough with its criticisms of the Soviet system (it has been a long time since I’ve read it), but yeah Rainbow Six goes straight into a conspiracy theory about the liberal elite killing off the human population to save the planet. Some of the passages there are comical.

The Rainbow Six game that I got super into was Vegas 2. Loved terrorist hunt. Give me Vegas 3 with R6 Siege’s search & destroy game mode and destruction please.

1 Like

Damn, sounds like the far right wing, grifter youtubers have their work cut out for them to convince it actually sucks

1 Like

I would love to see the copium if this show ends up being a major cultural phenomenon, because by all accounts these idiots aren’t just thinking it’s “woke”, they’re also counting on it being a major tanking failure that will be cancelled immediately.

Just rewatched Top Gun Maverick again, man it still holds up on the smaller screen.

1 Like

I’ll wait for the BluRay most likely.

Watched two eps of She Hulk and yeah…this ain’t it chief. It’s not doing anything for me.

Also not a fan of the design. I wasn’t when they made Hulk into that hybrid in the movies and I wish they would just give her a unique face.

1 Like

Some clip leaked from ep.2 of HotD and boy are we in for a hot controversy already :skull: Twitter is gonna be interesting this Monday

Unfortunate about Shazam.

Lol @ HBO, such a leaky ship, and they’ll remain a leaky ship until they launch their service globally.

Na its good . Shazam was being sent off to die . No way it was going to have a decent box office against Black panther 2 and Avatar . You should follow David F. Sandberg on twitter and Youtube . Some really informative stuff about the industry , decisions + his life as an introvert filmmaker .

1 Like

Went to Bullet Train for the third time this month yesterday. First on my own, second time with a buddy that came to visit me and yesterday also with a buddy that wanted to see it. This is rare for me.

But I enjoyed it just as much as the first and second time. This movie is that fun and entertaining for me. Every actor brings something to the table here. And the twins are superb.

I just love this movie really.

Thanks! I will check that out. Go see it!

1 Like

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick. The way people had been talking about this film seemed impossible. But it also had me very excited

And I have to say, I was let down. Oh no, not meaning I was let down about being excited. About the way people talked this movie up being impossible …they were fucking right

This film is INCREDIBLE

2 Likes

No, thats a different Tom Cruise franchise, Mission: Impossible. :troll:

I’d rather watch the Wallace Shawn franchise:

1 Like