Mid-gen Xbox hardware roadmap leak (New 2TB XSX slim, new controller with haptics, gyro, speakers and quieter buttons), more info

folk are asking “where is the disc version” and i’m like “if you want a disc version, then we have a product for that, and it’s called the xbox series x 2020 version”

4 Likes

also, there’s something that no one has caught on the Xbox Controller list - “direct to cloud”, like Luna and Stadia.

3 Likes

Indeed and I should have mentioned that I think MS should pay the fee. A small price to pay for having the hands down best controller and preferred controller of the generation.

2 Likes

These are the times we are in. Microsoft and the whole semiconductor industry told us all about that at Hotchips but internet keyboard warriors were smarter.

7 Likes

Maybe I’m old & cynical but there’s literally nothing here to cause any sort of meltdown, drama or headlines. It’s a hardware ‘slim’ of sorts, not a pro model. Xbox was also making all-digital consoles back in the 360 era & it’s a progression absolutely everyone knew was coming. Physical media in gaming is finished.

The big thing here is the haptic controller. I definitely want to see more about this. Will it have resistant trigger feedback like the ps5? We sort of could have guessed haptics were coming but it’s nice to see it materialize.

3 Likes

This will put a hold on my plan to purchase a new controller from Design Labs for xmas. Will buy the improved one next year.

4 Likes

Absolutely ruined the hype of announcing new things, Xbox employees about to wake up to a shock.

2 Likes

I apologize but refresh my memory, what was Hotchips again?

I honestly really wish it was about a Pro model, but…nope.

If this actually happens we just get a smaller XSX while the competition allegedly comes with a lot more power. That’s not what I want to see. I guess it’s still possible MS is planning one for 2025 maybe and not telling a soul about it and that info just hasn’t been leaked, but I kinda doubt it.

It’s all just rumors, but perhaps MS really didn’t know about Sony’s plans.

Well, that all digital model will be. The original XSX 1TB would probably get a price drop to $449, much like how the current XSS and the XSS 2TB are staggered in price.

At that point the ideal prices would be $199, $249 for the XSS models and $399, $499 for the XSX models.

But I wonder if this leak is a good excuse for them to completely shift their plans, especially when it sounds like Sony is coming out with a mid-gen refresh.

I think rising prices might make pro models prohibitive. We’ll see what Sony does with the rumored ps5 pro because obviously if Sony releases more powerful hardware at $499 then Xbox has a problem.

But I somehow doubt it. There were also rumors of a ps5 slim coming this year but so far we’ve heard or seen nothing more about it.

And who knows? Maybe Xbox will rlease a pro model as well, i.e. it’s just not in these leaks.

1 Like

Its like GDC for the semiconductor industry.

Here is Digital Foundrys article about the presentation

TSMC and Microsoft were talking for years about higher cost per wafer. You see this not only in consoles but also GPUs - yes they are faster but high end models are also bigger, more expensive and more power hungry than 10 years ago.

1 Like

I love revised consoles will come with the new controller. I hope it becomes the standard Xbox controller.

1 Like

It will be, it’s gonna be included in the box of the new console.

1 Like

That’s true. But it’s only September, they still have more than three months left to announce a slim model.

As for Xbox, I truly hope so because with quite a few UE5 games coming such as Witcher 4, Witcher remake and then games such as GTA 6…for sure they will benefit from a Pro model. We need to wait and see what happens but if true Pro could very well become my multiplat console. I have no problems having to pay more for a Pro model, hopefully MS sees it that way too but I’m not holding my breath on it.

I think this document is still likely draft. In the other documents they state it’s 12 Teraflops (the current X is 12.15 Teraflops).

Absolutely, I was hoping they would do this eventually. It doesn’t appear it will have triggers but I’m personally not interested in that at all.

Although it says it has speaker functionality I’m not too concerned about that either. If they can get the speakers working I can imagine it would be good in some games like Hellblade. I just hope the haptics are on par (or better) than the DualSense.

I think the bigger question is will the new Xbox controller work with the older series consoles. Also will they allow us to install our own M.2 cards in the new consoles?

Beyond the patent issue, adding more buttons while supporting xbox one and og xbox series x controllers could cause issues. Can’t build a game around those extra buttons, so no reason to add it to the new standard Xbox controller. Perhaps they can add them next gen.

Arm>>>x86

Is this a new leak? I’m confused now.

https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1704044263632224728?s=20