Microsofts Long Game - Publisher only?

I hope you are right in some things, because straight up putting Game Pass/first party on PS would kill the Xbox console. You would have one console with ALL the games, and one with no PS games. No one would buy the second one, and absolutely noone would buy both.

Will never cease to amaze me the unimportance people place on the Plastic Box.

The xbox hardware is 100% important and the preferred way into GP.

2 Likes

Some people are speculating that after Phil’s tweet, he will try to bargain with Sony to add COD to Playstation if they allow gamepass on PS.

It’s not an undoing at all. It’s safe to say Gamepass is a distrupter to the old way games were sold. Normally when something like that comes along everything changes.

Yes this theory is contradicting what Phil said earlier:

Phil Spencer suggests Xbox Game Pass likely won’t come to other consoles after all | GamesRadar+

“The thing about other gaming console platforms is that we’re not able to bring a full Xbox experience on those platforms,” he continues. "In places where we have, like mobile phones which we’re doing now with xCloud coming to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for no extra charge - which we think is a great value to allow people to play on the go - and what we’ve done with PC in bringing our full Xbox experience there. Because we know that when somebody’s playing our Xbox games, there is an expectation that I’ve got my Xbox Live community, I have my achievements, Game Pass is an option, my first-party library is completely there.

I don’t see this ever working with Playstation. It is clear they are negotiating something but maybe it isn’t gamepass. Also gamepass and xCloud is built on Xbox. What I mean is they need games developed for Xbox to make xCloud work. They can’t stop making or selling consoles. Gamepass still needs third party content.

2 Likes

Motherfuck a outlook like that, yes my friend.

they need platform to control, yeah they could be publisher in the end but if platforms with GP decided to stop support GP or getting bought by competitor than this leaves MS at nothing.

this platform for now is Xbox hardware and windows,

Xcloud is yet to take off and PC GP still have problems to grow

1 Like

I mean, do you see NetflixEra anywhere? Without the physical stuff its just another digital piece of content you consume. Which is fine in itself, but I kind of enjoy the community and such built up around that Plastic Box.

1 Like

Hmmm…

I had forgotten that he indeed said Game Pass on other consoles means a full Xbox ecosystem too. It’s not just an app that Sony and Nintendo would have to agree to having on their systems.

1 Like

I updated my message cause it was worded wrong Mort buddy lol.

1 Like

If Sony were to also do something similar, or if MS did it, then I think that Microsoft operating systems and APIs like DXU could become the industry norm even for PS.

I have always maintained that Microsoft is in the perfect position to create a middleware game engine to rival Unreal. Unity isn’t a real option, Cryengine has fallen behind and is too difficult to use compared to UE. The amount of work that appears to be going into thr new Forzatech engine tells me that it’s going to be mindblowing and has been built from the ground up to take full effect of all the DX12U extensions such as Mesh Shaders, SFS etc. Maybe this will be the one to rival UE5.

Haha, good. I thought you had hit your head or something. :wink:

The point stands though for others.

To me this sounds more like a “here’s how Game Pass can still come to PS/Nintendo” theory than a real viable plan. Losing ecosystem sales and having no power to control the platform where they sell their service is really dumb.

4 Likes

Gamepass conversation is frustrating because many fail to realize that consoles are the driving force for it. I highly doubt many are subbing to service for mobile which is behind other cloud platforms. Also, PC users reject for the most part and prefer to purchase games on steam, but some might dabble a month or 2 of gamepass to play a game

2 Likes

Once Game Streaming becomes prevalent enough, I could see them being primarily a SERVICE provider, which is much different than being a publisher.

I personally see a long term feature where local compute is a niche filled by PC and game streaming is the norm. That is not soon though.

Their long term plan is to have billions of people in their ecosystem spending hard earned dollars.

no, wtf.

Why would they invest to be pioneer in cloud gaming to become a publisher?

Unlike Netflix and streaming services, Xbox is also a storefront that makes a ton of money from entertainment content sales and microtransactions. If they no longer had that platform, they would be taking a significant step back in revenue.

Even if they drop off the console, they do a lot more than a publisher does. But more than ever I can’t consider Xbox playing the game without a gaming console.

1 Like