Microsoft quarterly results show Xbox revenue up, but hardware revenue down

We all know Age of Empires II on consoles sold hundred million copies. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This

I have no doubt that Xbox hardware would/will do better with more consistent big titles/CoD on GP etc but people need to accept that when Xbox pushes more platforms like Steam/PC/cloud etc there is simply less incentive for people to buy an Xbox but revenue continuing to climb every year suggests they are doing something right

Itā€™s also important to remember that the console market has been stagnant for decades and sell roughly the same amount every gen, so if Playstation and Nintendo are selling better than ever, thatā€™s likely going to lead to less Xbox sales as thereā€™s only a certain amount of consoles sold for each gen based on past trends

GP growth mostly Iā€™d imagine, HI-Fi Rush, AoE2 and a bunch of big third parties in GP like Wo-Long, Atomic Heart etc

1 Like

https://x.com/EconomyApp/status/1716911982547484752?s=20

Microsoftā€™s profit margins are crazy.

15 Likes

A bit worth mentioning that Sony is struggling to deliver what seems to be overpromised goal and theyā€™re the giant. Itā€™s not to say console is dying, nothing like that, but when you have other form of entertainment, donā€™t be surprised they donā€™t move as fast or faster than youā€™re hoping.

7 Likes

2 Likes

Which I absolutely do. I really want a great new Xbox console when the next generation starts. As a huge Xbox fan I honestly couldnā€™t give a rats ass about all the options they offer to play their games anywhere but the console. Donā€™t get me wrong, the options are great for those looking for it, but for me personally I want the console to thrive. I will be a very sad panda if they were to quit with hardware.

So far they have been caring about bringing a great console with One X and XSX, and I hope they keep doing that, even though it does mean losses for them. Which is a shame.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not because gamepass or any service or game isnā€™t zero operating cost and for example a third party game MS would only get 30% cut at best.

You are potentially talking close to 1000 dollar spend on stuff to break even against hardware.

People are going to learn the hard way that exclusives donā€™t really sell consolesā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

Great results overall and I do think that Microsoft should go back to the one console SKU approach for next generation. This generation, made more sense due to Covid and whatnot but thereā€™s a lot of consumers and gamers that want the Series X but if they canā€™t find one, they automatically default to the PlayStation 5. While more options are always better, when it comes to consoles, I believe the opposite is simply better.

Nevertheless, looking at the profit, Microsoft will get back the $70B from acquiring ABK in less than a year. Shit is insane.

2 Likes

Even in the future where Microsoft makes nearly double the profit that PlayStation does, people would still look at hardware and be like ā€œ Xbox is in trouble, they would need to go third party to make up profitsā€ lol. I think some people just wants everything on their PlayStation, thatā€™s fine(selfish though) but they need to be honest lol.

Although Iā€™m tired of hearing all this hardware talk, I can see the reason now why ARM has been considered for the next console. ARM is cheaper to manufacture but still have the same amount of gains X86 would get, while also being power efficient. I think we are heading in that direction, and that would answer peopleā€™s question/fear about the ā€œuncertainā€ future of consoles.

Yeah, it comes down to marketing and value of the product.

7 Likes

I have not care about numbers that much anymore.

As long as Microsoft continue to offer me the best deal in gaming in terms of my money spent. I will be a happy gamer.

3 Likes

https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1716940614833672255?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

8 Likes

Truth

3 Likes

That and brand desirability.

1 Like

https://x.com/hazzadorgamin/status/1716940246041211197?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

THE MAN

8 Likes

https://x.com/benjisales/status/1716939528915894662?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

Haters. You have one job. Tell everyone in the world to not buy MW3.

Good luck.

12 Likes

Even closing a $69 billion acquisition is not enough for investors to ask a single question about gaming. Amazing.

11 Likes

Feels surreal to see Call of Duty and First party together.

7 Likes

Microsoft:

Investors:

12 Likes

Consoles live another day lol

2 Likes