Microsoft quarterly results show Xbox revenue up, but hardware revenue down

Originally published at: Microsoft quarterly results show Xbox revenue up, but hardware revenue down. Best Q1 quarter in Xbox history - XboxEra

Today Microsoft revealed the financial results of their first quarter of 2024. The overall revenue of the company grew 13 percent to 56.5 billion dollars, while their operating income grew 25 percent to 26.9 billion dollars.

Gaming revenue grew 9% compared to the same quarter last year, with hardware revenue down 7 percent and software and subscription revenue up 13 percent. This is driven by first-party content and Game Pass subscriptions.

These results do not include the revenue and operating income from Activision Blizzard. The release of Starfield is included in these numbers, with the quarter ending on September 30th.

Xbox's Q1 2024 (July to September) was the highest Q1 ever reported for the brand.

Q1 2024 did over $3.9B, which puts it at the same level as October to December 2017, and is now the highest non holiday quarter for Xbox pic.twitter.com/VYJxDD2UoY

— John Welfare (@Welfare_JBP) October 24, 2023

The images below show the slides from the earnings call slides regarding More Personal Computing. This is division includes Xbox. The entire press release can be found here.

8 Likes

Hardware down is surprising but it’s still really hard to find Series X in most region.

Software being up by two digits is great.

3 Likes

Yeah Starfield did really well for Xbox.

10 Likes

I guess unless Microsoft keeps making consoles to have available to go along with the games they launch, Hardware revenue won’t be be up.

1 Like

But making those consoles loses them huge amounts of money.

4 Likes

Highest ever non-holiday period despite lower console sales says a lot

Consoles are important and will be for many years to come but the endless obsession over console sales is so misguided

8 Likes

It’s really weird to see the whole gaming revenue keeps increasing while the hardware sales continues to decline. You would never expect the same case for Nintendo or Playstation. Not sure if it’s good or not.

2 Likes

It’s good for Microsoft. Great for their gaming bet.

It’s bad if you want MS to still care about their console and making it as strong and vibrant as possible on an ongoing basis and next gen.

2 Likes

Maybe but it’s one of their entries into the Xbox ecosystem, ignoring it all together isn’t really an option.

1 Like

https://x.com/deeketweak/status/1716916951556272546?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

7 Likes

I don’t think they are ignoring it. But when Phil says ‘we aren’t going to out console anyone’ he means it.

2 Likes

It’s not about out consoling anyone but themselves.

I think next quarter will be surreal for them.

I expect growth in both hardware and software, Starfield and Forza will both have legs (and I think season 5 and promotions for Halo Infinite will drive people on the platform) and with discounts on Series X in Europe as well as USA, we could see Xbox making their best holidays (and don’t forget games sales on Steam, which with Starfield could be massive too !)

7 Likes

Yep but as per the leaks Phil has to hit profit and loss targets and he can’t do it if they sell too many consoles.

3 Likes

if they buy gamepass for a year, or two games, that’s a profit.

https://x.com/welfare_jbp/status/1716920709505831251?s=46&t=jjXxOoE4yWMd4fG6_-MQMQ

7 Likes

Right, but they didn’t have enough first party software to push to help offset those losses. Xbox is currently hitting their strive with 1st party, so having a good amount of consoles(maybe even just matching previous shipments), to go along with them could give them both.

I’m happy to see that their revenue keeps growing and when ABK revenue is accounted for I’m sure there will be a substantial jump.

1 Like

So the numbers aren’t bad but the console numbers are and I just wish they would find a way to sell more consoles, that seems to bother some people here but some of you just have to accept and make peace with the fact that there are fans who want to see Xbox hardware doing better, it’s kind of a shame too because Series S/X should be doing better numbers than the Xbox One but it just hasn’t for a while now, I don’t know how they can get back to at least Xbox One numbers at this point though, I feel like they would need like 5 AAA high quality exclusives a year to get back to that.

Microsoft sees Xbox hardware as just another entry point into the ecosystem. The fix for the hardware revenue is simple; Force people to buy the hardware through old school console only exclusivity. Since that’s not their MO, the hardware is going to continue to slide because that forced “incentive” to buy a console isn’t there.

2 Likes

Why was January-March of this year so good? I don’t recall anything besides Hi fi rush.

2 Likes