Microsoft needs a comprehensive Japan strategy. Now is the time to strike. Suggest your strategies

When they did this during 360, they made a major mistake. Most of the exclusives they got were only timed, and it was not disclosed that they would be timed. Worse, the PS3 versions got more content which made JP 360 players feel like beta testers. The most infamous case was Tales of Vesperia where tons of people bought a 360 just for it, then it was ported to PS3 a year later with like, double the side content. There were images of JP 360 Vesperia owners who were so pissed that they were snapping the disc in half.

1 Like

Xcloud is nothing without games and the reason why the Switch has a large Japan support is because it has all the Japanese games on it.

People are saying Xcloud is what will sell Xbox in japan but without Japnese games on it, Xcloud will be ignored like the console itself. It doesn’t really need exclusive Japanese content, just get japnese content on it. They are making strives in the area with Yakuxa and FF games. But they’ll also need more newer games and smaller ones as well.

In this regard I think acquiring Sega, Square Enix or Capcom are the best moves. Both Sega/Atlus and Square are probably better moves for Japan focused content. While Capcom is more a global move.

Putting xcloud on switch doesn’t mean Xbox ports of Japanese games would come and would probably kill whatever console growth the series x|s is having. It doesn’t matter though because Nintendo is never going to allow it anyways

1 Like

I agree plenty of people do. they are on ps and nintendo consoles. hence why xbox doesn’t get them. japanese devs giggle at putting a game on xbox. they have poppa sony and nintendo. go figure why. xbox needs to keep doin what they’re doin and get out of the asian/europe market.

Asian and European market?

So just give up on Asian and European games and gamers completely?

That’s ridiculous on so many levels. Some of the biggest IP have come from overseas and closing down operations in those areas would severely limit not only Xbox’s console sales, but overall growth of their storefront.

3 Likes

I don’t know why some of us still measure the size of the Japanese market on Japan only? Their market is larger than that and includes East Asian countries, China, Korea and the Middle East. So with every Japanese team Xbox acquires, Xbox is getting bigger on those territories not just Japan.

4 Likes

This topic is not really understood by many apparently. XD

Yeah, it’s completely ridicoulus, make the Xbox even more american than it’s already and see it disappear in a few years, lol.

1 Like

I think MS is doing a brilliant job. Japan is now so mobile it’s not really worth MS time and effort and maybe Xbox Cloud will help them make a breakthrough in Japan

Just keep what MS is doing and look to make sure that we continue to have games like Dragon Quest and Yakuza on the Xbox, even if it needs the chequebook.

I do also wish SEGA would look to use the Xbox Series X and S hardware to power its Arcade hardware, like with XBox and Chihiro

Yeah but what about Day 1 3rd party games? if I have a switch I am not going to buy it on Switch if I can subscribe to GP and get it for cheap and just play it on my phone or tablet.

Edit: I am not arguing against exclusive content. I just belive Day 1 games are going to help MS gain marketshare in Japan. I think they should do Day 1 games that are multiplatforn and also do exclusives

1 Like

You’ll need several day one releases, also important ones, I know for a fact most people are not swayed by seldom day one releases for big games, like we are seeing now, it’s not worth buying another console and/or entering a new ecosystem for most people. Also, as of now, 0 of them were japanese games, because we had Outriders, MLB, Humankind (it’s kind of a stretch considering it big considering it’s a new ip and a pc only game, but its goal it’s to take on Civilization, so…) and Back4Blood as AAA-ish day one releases on GP. You won’t convince many users with months later additions like Scarlet Nexus, because most customers are attracted by the shiny new thing. If MS had made it day one and maybe added also Tales of Arise, obviously it would have been a completely different thing: day one and multiple high profile releases. All relevant japanese games released on GP until now are very old additions (even several years for some) except for Yakuza LAD added ~6 months after and the aforementioned Scarlet Nexus. It’s kinda difficult swaying people who like those kind of games with the current path. If it’s meant to be a complementary thing and a small, but steady growth in years, then ok, but it won’t win over significant market shares.

I think that if Microsoft can’t buy Studios or even Publishers in Japan for whatever reason(mostly I would think Japanese devs not wanting to sell to a foreign company) or not get any good deals in place because of Sony’s influence(like with Elden Ring), expanding Tango into a multi team studio making different types of exclusive games for Xbox would be a good start.

It only needs one word and it needs to be shouted:

video games sega GIF

2 Likes

Yeah. Eiyuden Chronicles I believe. MS managed to get a small foothold in Japan gaming was back in the day with the MSX. It wasn’t branded as a Microsoft platform though and co manufactured by companies like Panasonic and even Sony. I often wondered if MS had purchased Sega back in the day and simply branded the Xbox as a new Sega console would things have gone better there.

I still think they should look to startups like Hajime Tabata’s new studio similar to what they were doing with Mistwalker in the beginning. Heavily invest in the studio. Maybe even building a few of their own Japanese studios.

1 Like

I wanted to ask, would a series S chip made on 4nm be power efficient enough to be turned into a 1080p hand held with at least 3hrs of battery life? And how well does everyone think it could do in Japan if Xbox where to start making deals for dev suppoeof the console there?

depends on how much XSS Can draw wattage, handheld need under 20 Wattage for long battery life.

they need ARM chip it’s the future of handheld

1 Like

Already had discussion with tech specs etc:

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Get persona

End strategy.

The realistic strategy is to keep selling consoles there like they currently are and to invest in new Japanese game exclusives from the studio they already own (tango) and third parties through Xbox global publishing. They won’t get games that missed the Xbox platform to release onto Xbox until they get more Xboxes in Japanese households and increase the popularity of xcloud in Japan.

.Japan as a market is dwindling. They’re going more portable. Which sucks for both Sony and MS. But ms can take advantage with cloud.

1 Like