Microsoft is ramping up investment in Chinese video game content according to reports

9 Likes

"One executive, whose studio signed a licensing deal with Microsoft three years ago to feature its game on Game Pass, said the U.S. firm recently offered a licensing deal many times bigger for a sequel.

“We are not signing it yet because we think that when we fully complete our game, it will get an even better offer,” the executive said."

Wonder what that could be referring to.

3 Likes

Considering it says they “missed” Genshin Impact, I suppose this means there’s Sony restrictions in place that make it so it can never come to Xbox then? I do find it weird the Switch version is still announced (and advertised in trailers sometimes) but remains in limbo.

They should try to make sure Mihoyo’s next games aren’t skipping Xbox anymore at least, seems like a company they need on board for this to be a success.

2 Likes

Black Myth Wukong please. Thank you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know Microsoft wanted to develop their games but man they missed the big chance deal with Mihoyo. I think Xbox’s scouts are always hit-and-miss.

No wonder why Genshin Impact is not coming to Xbox

4 Likes

Yet more proof Sony are happy to pay up for “anything but Xbox” deals where it helps shift the narrative. Given how extremely monetised (and lucrative) Genshin is, it’s the only reason they wouldn’t try to put it on the platform really.

Let’s hope this means MS are putting a stop to bullshit like this.

2 Likes

Whatever it takes to have this game not as an exclusive on PlayStation. Nobody would be surprised if this game is monneyhatted by Sony. It is about this expectation that Microsoft should do whatever it takes to have this game on Xbox.

1 Like

Genshin Impact 100% was moneyhatted by Sony

I am interested in Sword and Fairy: Together Forever. I have asked if this game is a Xbox Play Anywhere title. It is. Big win already. But now reading this article I think Sword and Fairy: Together Forever is a day one Game Pass game. Most of the XPA are Game Pass games.

1 Like

Seems Naraka Bladepoint was already their first fruit of investment there.

S. Korea, Japan, and China, will need a lot of local presence, logistics, and all that stuff to facilitate deals and development support, it’s not just about seeing cool games and flying there and directly signing deals, they seem to have had been aware of Genshin before but weren’t able to get it before Sony, I imagine Sony would have it easier earlier being native to that region.

5 Likes

This so much! Looking forward to this one a whole lot. I don’t care whether it comes to PS too, just don’t let Sony fuck it up for us again with some annoying ass deal.

2 Likes

That’s probably already moneyhatted let’s be honest. It’s always obvious which games Sony will moneyhat. Yet Microsoft lets them.

I think they need to recruit a person who knows and could pinpoint games which would attract the core gamer.

2 Likes

Microsoft needs an acquisition in Japan. Japanese output encompasses the whole asian region and the strong foothold there will open even more doors for Microsoft.

Thus, acquisition in Japan is inevitable.

1 Like

I honestly believe that’s the next target. ABK was more of a surprise early Black Friday special that only one remains. Grab it or forever regret.

I hope not.

Things like this should not be passed on by MS. They are very well aware of how beloved and popular Soulslike games are, they have had Dark souls, Elden Ring and Lies of P debut at their shows. The latter coming to Game Pass even. Black Myth is definitely Soulslike in some regards as can be seen in the videos and it happens to look amazing too.

Definitely something MS could use.

1 Like

Hard to say because for example Sony is heavily promoting Lost Soul Aside while not doing that for Wukong. Though it is hard to say if Wukong is ever gonna be released in the first place :joy:

We don’t know if it’s “anything but Xbox”. Like I said, the Switch version of Genshin is in this weird perpetual limbo where it “exists” but also doesn’t exist. Sony could be blocking that too. It’s not a performance thing either because people have already run Genshin on Switch via Android emulators on modded Switches and it ran good, and that’s without optimization.

But yeah I don’t see Genshin Xbox happening. The new Mihoyo games that were announced don’t seem to have Sony marketing as of yet (nor do they even have platforms announced) so they should make sure they are coming to Xbox.

A lot of chinese games are exclusively not on Xbox. Especially all those that launched on Playstation first. They come to Switch/PC later. But not Xbox. So I highly doubt that developers decided to ignore Xbox only for some reason.

But it is nice to see that recent games - that did not start years ago - have less of that exclusivity. Guess it is more difficult for Sony to compete. And wait for that Microsoft mobile store in the future.

Pedal to the medal, Microsoft!

On a recent gameplay video for one of Mihoyo’s next games, Zenless Zone Zero, Xbox button prompts are being used. I know this is definitely running on a PC (it doesn’t have platforms announced), but still, I think Mihoyo is an elephant that cannot be ignored for this investment in Chinese games. Make sure their games, if coming to console, aren’t skipping Xbox.

1 Like

Xbox controller is the best controller. I remember thinking Genshin booth was using Xbox controller. I think it was Switch Pro instead. Well, they were definitely using PC version. But yeah, Xbox controller is best. Fight me.