Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Haha I gotta imagine it has to come, that would be hilarious though. I dunno if MS would do them dirty like that.

When it happen to Xbox everyone is like, " that sucks, but what can you do", but if it looks like it’s going to happen to PlayStation, the mindset is, “it’s PlayStation, you can’t go back on an announcement to put a game on that platform, you just can’t”

3 Likes

I don’t usually like to bring posts from “other Era” here, but this is such an excellent post about how Sony’s timed exclusivity has basically hurt the xbox brand when it comes to certain genres. It should really be read by as many people as possible, especially gaming media types getting salty over this.

35 Likes

Best post Ive seen on it

1 Like

bars

2 Likes

fucking nailed it

2 Likes

Just saying…

11 Likes

Not really worried about the US Gov cause they are lazy bums and incompetent at their jobs.I think EU would be a stinker (if they even have a say this time?)

1 Like

I think it’s just the principle, as mentioned in the full thread, more than anything else.

3 Likes

American politics: 100% theater, 0% Action.

3 Likes

That person is far better at articulating something I’ve tried (and failed) to say clearly for years :laughing:

Hey now! It’s like…2% action.

3 Likes

Just did a quick and dirty rundown:

I posted (maybe accidentally) in another thread pointing out that Sledgehammer is likely to be a 3 project studio with the UK location being support. All the studios at the bottom are multi studio locations releasing under a singular banner (id software and inXile being quite a bit different in scope than the others)

edit: accidentally omitted the main Sledgehammer studio in Foster City, California… oops.

5 Likes

Woke up to even more drama that had me in stitches. Anything senior management at Microsoft/xbox say about this deal or the future of A/B is going to be carefully worded on advice from their lawyers.

1 Like

MS’s deal will also get through, very possibly on the back of committing to keep CoD multiplat. I am not seeing any actual argument based on logic that keeping CoD exclusive would still easily get thru the regulatory agency scrutiny. Just assertions that it must be the case based on…nothing.

I’m not sure you understand the point I made, which is that games on the platform already today falls under ‘existing contracts’.

Because I don’t agree with it. There’s no contract that states a company needs to keep their existing old games on your system.

5 Likes

Why would CoD being exclusive be a problem for anti trust? You failed to explain it and the irony is you base your argument on… nothing.

Can Microsoft dictate first person shooter pricing? Is it an unfair advantage? Does it eliminate competition? Does it significantly limits choice for consumers? Can’t one of the hundreds studios develop a new shooter? Has PS no first person shooters left after CoD is gone? Help me out here, why do you think CoD needs to stay multiplat to not risk the deal for anti trust regulators?

1 Like

This is interesting, the DOJ may have to kick over any investigation to the FTC because the DOJ head was a former Microsoft lobbyist.

1 Like

Ummm…there absolutely is a contract for getting the game on the platform in the first place and it being sold in the ecosystem.

He will just recuse himself and let the FTC handle it I bet.

So lemme get this straight, you don’t even know what my argument is and yet you somehow imagine you are able to declare it is based on ‘nothing’? You must be telepathic. How wonderful!

I explained the reasoning in this thread already. To answer your question, yes it is an unfair competitive advantage because MS unilaterally gets to decide whether Sony gets a giant gaping hole in their ecosystem revenues or not. Company A should not be able to unilaterally and directly control the revenue outcomes for a competing Company B in the space the two compete. CoD as a property represents a huge portion of PSX ecosystem revenue and w/o commitments/assurances, MS would be able to blow up PSX ecosystem revenues on a whim. That sounds a lot like something bordering on anti-competitive practices to me.

I do not have Playstation specific knowledge, but I have released games and apps on the Android store and there were terms and conditions as there are for everything. That’s not what Phil is talking about with contracts.