Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I wonder if Microsoft just decided to accelerate everything at once. Like “strike iron while it’s hot”.

Shame that Microsoft needs to concede anything to Sony, but hope they learnt their lesson and will go scorched earth on Sony.

I think arguments against ABK deal by Sony should be added to the collection of those things that people hate Sony for. Like Sega demise for example (arguably Sony contributed to demise of almost everybody aside Nintendo in PS1 era)

It was someone on Twitter in regards to an article about the rumors about city cessions etc.

The good thing is that Microsoft started to be more aggressive in their responses to Sony (like comparing it to Blockbuster and so on).

They have been too lenient to Sony that was spreading FUD about Gamepass and Xbox (like GP lowers game quality, who needs BC and so on. Microsoft did not respond to stuff like that ). Hope after ABK they will continue doing that.

3 Likes

I do wonder if MS will view them the same after this

Will they consider it just business or will they hold some serious grudges for their comments and actions regarding this deal

Its funny to remember Phils original tweet in January about having “good talks” with Playstation heads about CoD. Clearly that wasnt entirely true.

Internally I imagine the opinion of Sony will be a touch frostier, I don’t think we’ll actually see any major impact though. They’re both just businesses protecting their interests at the end of the day, and they’ll likely both continue acting that way - including putting aside this feud when there’s money to be made. I mean if anything once the deal goes through they’re gonna be working together even more with the continued support of the existing Activision catalogue and whatever future titles end up on Playstation. I mean hell, at the very least Microsoft probably wants to look outwardly cooperative for the sake of future acquisitions.

Ehhh, I don’t think it’s necessarily untrue - the conversations between Microsoft and Sony happened pretty quickly after the acquisition announcement. They probably didn’t really know what they were going to do about it yet, I mean I’d guess they formed their strategy for this whole acquisition over the following months.

2 Likes

I think the original was that after Sony current market deal with Activision runs out, that it no more COD but since then, ‘Jim Ryan’ went and complain to the CMA personally… MS has offer; what was it? 7 now 10 year deal.

I dunno they’ve been implying since the beginning they would continue to release Call of Duty on Playstation - even though we’ve only more recently got more concrete statements on the matter. I don’t get the impression they would have told Sony they were going to make it exclusive - for one thing Sony DEFINITELY would have used that against them in the on-going proceedings.

So if the FTC says no, the deal is pretty much dead right?

If they say no this will have been such a massive waste of time. Hope for Microsoft’s sake it goes thru.

If the FTC says no then it goes to court where the FTC likely loses.

6 Likes

If the FTC say no they’ll fight it out in court - it’ll likely delay things but it certainly won’t be the end of it. The impression I get from watching Hoeg law is that the FTC will likely want to avoid taking it to court unless they really feel strongly against the deal - and so are more likely to negotiate. But nothing is certain.

2 Likes

CoD mobile on Switch 1, future CoDs on Switch 2 :thinking:?

Forgot about cloud versions on Switch 1 as well. But I heard on the podcast that from what we know, Switch 2 could run CoD natively.

19 Likes

“We will commit to keep CoD on everything because it makes a ton of money, here are your easy ‘wins’ regulators”

12 Likes

Does this mean Nintendo Signed an agreement with them?

1 Like

lmao, if they block this deal then they’re pretty much admitting they’re anti-consumer.

8 Likes

Phil isn’t playing anymore. Also timing is amazing, it’s daytime in Japan. Sony executives are just reading this mid shift.

13 Likes

This is not keeping it places, it’s bringing it places. Cod ain’t on Nintendo

9 Likes

It’s also worth a reminder that for the past couple years SIE was publishing CoD in Japan so I don’t think it was releasing on Xbox there. Though they stopped with MW2, I think Kadokawa published that?

2 Likes

Based on his phrasing, yes.

7 Likes

Sony right now

7 Likes