Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-16/ftc-scrutinizing-labor-impact-of-microsoft-activision-merger

MS doing all they can to get ahead of any possible regulatory concerns.

4 Likes

The best thing there is that nobody cares about COD or gaming monopoly in that :joy: And people are thinking that FTC will force COD exclusivity on Microsoft :joy:

2 Likes

I want MS to leave Warzone everywhere, but make mainline CODs exclusive. Only makes sense!

8 Likes

It’s kinda funny how news outlet make it sound like the FTC is specifically scrutinizing in areas which antitrust laws don’t follow just to MS. If your read letter (which I suggest people do) it sounds just like a federal employee giving a proper response to someone they work for.

1 Like

https://playcrazygame.com/2022/06/23/microsofts-activision-blizzard-purchase-will-likely-be-approved-experts-say/

Activision shares represent an attractive opportunity as buyers would earn 30% in approximately 13 months. There are few risks in this scenario as Microsoft has the money and the deal would likely face little regulatory resistance . Regulators will consider the impact the merger would have on gaming competition, but Microsoft’s small size relative to competitors means that the purchase intensifies the competition instead of eliminating it. The 2020 Vertical Merger Guidelines also indicate that regulators will look at how consumer data can be used, and Microsoft has already signaled that it is ready to find a solution that will please regulators to get the deal done.

5 Likes

Yep. I’ve been saying for months now that all the news coming out of the FTC, the org that posed the greatest potential risk, pointed to the fact that this deal, and Big Tech in general, is no longer going to be the primary focus - poor morale, Big Oil, and other arenas that could have a direct effect on consumers leading into the midterms are going to be their foci.

9 Likes

I think if the FTC was going to flat out disallow the deal it would have happened by now.

Worst case the FTC have some minor caveats but I doubt this, I think it’ll go through, just a slow process.

I am not sure why people call this process slow though.

I do wonder when the next big update or milestone will be. Last major update I would consider was when the shareholder approved of the transaction.

Understanable ignorance of how these things normally work, for most

…and the rest are just assholes

4 Likes

Maybe MS will say something about it in their upcoming fiscal year report?

To be fair, it can be perfectly normal and how it usually work but still be slow at the same time. One does not exclude the other :wink:

1 Like

Likely when it goes before the European Commission since that’s a semi-public process.

1 Like

If it happens before the end of this year then I will call it fast

If by the end of June 2023 then it will be a slow process

Either way, it will be completely justified given the amount cash needed to be exchanged for this deal

Next milestone will be approvals from coming from all the organisation world wide one by one

Or second round of enquiry by FTC

Didnt that already happen?

I believe so. It’s so weird having weeks go by and nothing from either the FTC, MS or Activision. If I were to guess where the process is at right now I would say they’re just waiting for the time to expire for the FTC for the second request. Maybe MS and AT are preparing documents for EU submission.

1 Like

It was my understanding from what Hoeg Law previously explained that each countries regulator will review the deal at the same time. Therefore Microsoft would already be at similar stages with the US, UK, EU, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, China in addition to any other applicable territories. He did however mention that the EU are normally slightly slower than the FTC/DoJ.

1 Like

The EU is oftentimes one of the last steps, although it can depend on if another country is causing a holdup.

1 Like