Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Not gonna happen. Microsoft will sue.

You don’t think ms would let cod slide?

The other stuff about all abk games and bethesda games going mupltiplat is insane but just cod isn’t that crazy.

Yes. While it might be possible for Microsoft to release COD on other home consoles but there won’t be any contract in perpetuity and of course Microsoft won’t agree to release COD on other competiting services. Even then I highly doubt that Microsoft will go further than just not removing Warzone 2 from other platforms. And courts will laugh anybody out of the room if they come complaining regarding which COD is real COD - Warzone 2 or mainline COD :joy:

To draw a parallel - imagine FTC asking Netflix to release its movies in Blockbuster and other services for perpetuity. Not a single company would agree to such contract. Or imaging FTC asking Disney to release Star Wars on other streaming services forever lol

All in all I am not in favor of any regulation that relies “in future it might potentially happen”. It is not like the laws should work. Because you just cannot predict the technological advances. What’s happen if suddenly everybody will get quantum internet and publishers will be able to deliver content to people without need to use stores? And so on.

2 Likes

What I think gets missed about allowing CoD on other streaming services is who will pay for it, because we are talking it will cost 100s of millions of dollars here, or is Jason saying that other companies will get it for free?

3 Likes

Another thing to consider is that when Warzone will become available via cloud (like Fortnite) F2P, you literaly won’t be able to build a case about not allowing it on other platforms.

I don’t think there is a chance warzone 2 isn’t on playstation, aside from the ftc that would be a bad look for ms, they wouldn’t want that. But I agree, ms will keep multiplat whatever they want to stay multiplat, doing that as part of a deal I imagine would set a precedent for the future.

Warzone 2 will stay on Playstation simply because it is gonna be released soon and Microsoft upholds the contracts. And as now they experiment with cloud F2P games, Warzone 2 being F2P is a prime canditate for that. Basically the game will be available everywhere where browser exists. You just cannot argue that Microsoft is making it less available. You just can’t build a case for that.

Warzone 2 is exactly that Minecraft (or Fortnite), Brad Smith was talking about. At this point Warzone 2 is bigger than the mainline COD and it gets various crossovers too. Like imagine for example Avatar themed season.

Yeah but that’s not really my point, I’m saying even if there were no contracts, the game wasn’t announced, and it wasn’t going to be available on the cloud, ms would still keep it multiplat.

Not necessary.

Yeah it’s just my opinion.

Seems like the NY´s weren’t the only ones…do these things really go far or its potentially “just” noise? This is the first time seeing pension funds doing that.

Edit: Though Hoeg clarified the one from NY was just asking for information to potentially sue later or something a long the lines.

It’s pretty common when a listed company is bought out. Even the Bethesda deal had some legal issues though because it wasn’t a publicly traded company they weren’t on this scale

1 Like

Upon closer inspection, however, Microsoft may now be better situated to become a leader in both the metaverse and gaming realms. “Microsoft is extremely well-positioned for the metaverse,” Bernstein analyst Mark Moerdler recently told CNBC. “But I don’t think this [acquisition] was purely a metaverse drive. They were also looking for bigger ways to gain depth and breadth in gaming.”

Moerdler anticipated that Microsoft might buy smaller game studios, but ultimately “decided it was better to make one big [purchase] versus lots of little ones,” he said.

While Activision isn’t considered a player in the metaverse — which remains a work in progress with various definitions — one of its videogames offers a good example of how it works. Blizzard released World of Warcraft in 2004, when it was the game studio that later merged with Activision in 2008.

The virtual worlds in those games may not level up to the ones being prognosticated by metaverse proponents, where users are immersed via mixed reality in business meetings, doctor visits, vacations, and all types of ecommerce. That’s where Microsoft’s software, cloud computing, gaming and virtual technologies position the company well. And adding Activision’s gaming capabilities only enhances its outlook.

Damn sounds so dramatic :joy: But it is funny that this acquisition affects the world console order :fire:

1 Like

Thought the same haha

The most surprising thing in that article is that the merger with Acti and Blizzard happened in 2008

I swear that happened way later than that because I remember when it was announced I despised activision at the time but in 2008 I was busy loving the hell out of CoD4 and WaW, so weird

edit: they bought the majority shares in 2013 which is what made the news, thats what I was thinking of

810,000 in a year is actually extremely low compared to other mobile games or Warzone on console

But iv no idea what the monetization is like so maybe thats pretty good

Might be UK only or a typo, the game has made over $1 Billion in revenue last year.

1 Like

Possibly Currency conversion. 810 ÂŁ = $999 using todays rates

Yeah, basically over 1b $