Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT4| - Dawn of the Final Day, Deal is done!

Blizzcon is around the corner. Timing is funny.

How soon after the official Bethesda acquisition announcement was the “ABK Joins Xbox” video released?

What I meant was the person in 2039, won’t be able to play the games from the previous year (2038) which would be recent - or the decade prior!

If Activision Blizzard make some killer games in 2036, 37 and 38 and a new 18 year old buys a Cloud only Xbox in 2039 he might not be able to access them, therefore I hope MS do eventually acquire the rights back (or Ubisoft).

I agree it makes absolute sense right now but it could create quite a jarring experience for future cloud customers where some games are included and others aren’t.

• Bethesda Announcement: 21st September 2020
  • Bethesda Closed: 9th March 2021
  • Xbox Welcomes Bethesda: 11th March 2021
  • Roundtable released: 11th March 2021
7 Likes

I think it was less than a week after Bethesda closed. I think that Xbox will organize a round table with Activision Blizzard within one to two weeks, it is possible that a trailer will be released on this occasion.

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1712788620220784649?s=46&t=5v4hCnVd4hiA1i1XiZgKag

2 Likes

A reasonably positive tweet regarding Xbox? Jason must have had his Coco Pops this morning.

I think it’s definitely getting done today, especially with Activision stock going on hold.

1 Like

Microsoft will acquire rights for Gamepass for the next 15 years so they will still have those rights also other tech is coming which might make cloud useless like the hybrid computing which could let the games be natively downloaded while certain computations are done or streamed in. Also there could be reasons in the future to revisit these stipulations and change them.

1 Like

I certainly hope so with the anticipation I would think they will want to announce something probably soon and there will probably be some news interviews today.

So is this the moment we all start begging Phil for a proper Warcraft 3 remaster?

I think this is the first time during this whole saga that he’s mentioned the workers at ABK. For a guy that usually prides himself on looking out for workers that’s pretty unusual. If he wasn’t so busy trying to spread FUD about the deal then maybe he would have come to this realisation earlier…

15 Likes

He’s trying to build a narrative that the employees are disappointed there wasn’t enough change. Expect that from him in about 3 months

8 Likes

Hopefully we get a third person Starcraft game

1 Like

First : I totally agree with you with what you say, this will be odd in 2039.

Second : MS is playing the long game and in 2040, this particular game will be two year old and start to come into forget mode.

Third : nobody said that MS could not have streaming rights to these game by paying Ubisoft, and this will be transparent to the user.

They will earn so much money from ABK that they can waste some money paying back the streaming rights to their own games. They will able to do it as long as they acquir rights to Ubi along the same conditions as any other licencees.

3 Likes

Its not over until i see it on xbox.com

1 Like

What exactly is Starcraft? I know it’s an RTS like AoE but is it a spin off of Warcraft or is it an entirely different universe?

All I really know about it is how much people loved it and it being underutilised by ABK

That sounds plausible unfortunately

Hopefully soon! One more hour until stock trading!

I agree people could start to forget about older games, but you’ve seen how popular back compat is, when the old ABK titles hit I’m sure we will also get another surge of players.

I do hope they eventually acquire the rights back from Ubisoft, if they can’t I hope they acquire them instead.

Time has come now for Crisis on MS-Multiverse, with characters from Halo, CoD, SC, WC, Gears, Diablo, Overwatch, and Perfect Dark, fighting the forces of Evil.

2 Likes