Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT4| - Dawn of the Final Day, Deal is done!

So how long do you think it will be until MS close?

1 Like

True.

I also wonder if CoD 2024 will be day one or after that. But we probably won’t hear that right away.

Someone ever at ResetEra posted this and I giggled audibly at “Andreas Mahler vs Deckard Cain”. In my head they’d just be in a boxing ring talking circles around each other :laughing:

https://imgur.com/a/F4d6Geb

2 Likes

Probably shortly after 7 am over here. Stock market opens at 9:30 am.

3 Likes

Another output from this deal is that we can remove Ubi Soft of any purchasing discussion right now, they can not be bought anymore by MS.

According to Foss 9am New York time today so in a few hours.

3 Likes

With this media and the silly gamer lawsuit lawyers and FTC you can never say.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks!

They can. They will just sell the licenses to someone else.

There are many reasons not to buy Ubi, this is another one.

Hopefully once the contract is up they still acquire them in 2038.

From what I understand all cloud rights to all Activision Blizzard games (outside the EU) between 2023 - 2038 will belong to Ubisoft in perpetuity, therefore in the future when cloud gaming does take off (which it will) Xbox players could miss out on a big chunk of their game library if Xbox and Ubisoft can’t strike a deal.

Imagine a new person coming into the Xbox platform in 2039 when it’s 99% cloud gaming and be told you can’t access certain Xbox games from the year/decade prior, without paying for Ubisoft Plus - it will just be odd!

Do you think we will get details on all of that? Probably during a roundtable more like.

I never doubted it.

(Don’t check my post history)

7 Likes

I thought we already had a similar discussion once Ubisoft was announced as the rights holder. With the conclusion being that Microsoft is allowed to replace them if Ubisoft tries something like this.

Finally done. Now for Phil to get on with buying Eidos, CD et al and their IPs from Embracer :slight_smile:

Shame the CMA haven’t published the 3rd party consultations but there are a few bits in the final report including this

Any guesses on who the third party that would want MS barred from ever reacquiring the Acti streaming rights might be?

9 Likes

I think there was a clause that the supplier can be changed if Ubisoft decided to sell to a different company (e.g. Sony) but not if Ubisoft didn’t want to license the games back to Xbox. Isn’t the whole point that they are impartial therefore they can decide who and how much?

My bet is on google lol.

1 Like

It’s finally done, it took an extra 6 months than expected but better late than never for a deal like this, Phil and the team must be euphoric after the deal being so close to dead

Now we can finally discuss the important stuff, like buying SEGA

10 Likes

Interesting! So Microsoft does have a clause where they can re- acquire the cloud rights after 10 years, clearly it’s Sony trying to block that as they know cloud will eventually take off.

ITSS FINALLY OVVVER! Excited to see things come to GP, and a hearty fuck Neogaf to everyone!

1 Like