Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT4| - Dawn of the Final Day, Deal is done!

The FTC Administrative Process isnt even binding to the FTC. If they dont like their outcome they can simply ignore it. They made it nonbinding earlier this past summer.

In order to undo any acquisition they will need to go to Federal court.

This is entirely a waste of taxpayers dollars.

4 Likes

The FTC really want to get embarrassed again and waste even more taxpayer dollars.

5 Likes

This current FTC is a total disgrace and wasting tax payer money. They need money pulled until they get on track with a legitimate regulatory purpose. This is not just needing a Federal court to win a pathetic case as before, as this would be asking a Federal court after the merger closes to order the break up or “divestment” in legal terms of a company for some laughable reasons not based in law or fact, which is never going to happen. The bar was high before, but this is just stubborn stupidity that is an embarrassment to the FTC.

1 Like

The funny part about this whole FTC saga is that there was somewhat of a bipartisan effort to make them stop suing MS/ABK, but they rather listen the vats minority and follow their agenda.

Still waiting on Warren and Bernie to congratulate them on their fight.

I doubt we’ll see either of them associate with the MS/ABK effort now that Amazon proceedings were announced. They know enough to jump off and attach to the new.

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sony PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan stepping down In March 2024

I saw the tweet by Ryan from IGN. We worried about FTC or nah?

Definitely no. Microsoft can close without them. Once it’s closed, which will be before FTC gets to do anything, it’s all over. It’s literally waste of money.

7 Likes

I pay no taxes to the US government so nah, lol.

5 Likes

As stated earlier today in the discussion, the FTC can’t do anything.

7 Likes

The oral hearing for the 9th circuit isn’t till December 6th so the administrative hearing won’t be till next year and there’s no route left for an injunction in the US so there’s no way for the FTC to stop the merger only attempt to force Microsoft to divest ABK at some point in the future which would be a years long battle:

https://twitter.com/MActon93/status/1707082605689258195?t=AetpUklhPwkGUM0tt9Tk3g&s=19

On a different note the only thing that makes sense as an FTC strategy in how they are handling the matter is they are going through the motions not expecting to actually stop or force a divestiture at a later date. It’s to try and make it as long and expensive a process for the acquiring company to possibly put other companies(particularly big tech) off having to battle for so long and spend a bunch of money on lawyers. I doubt the strategy works but I have a feeling that’s what they are hoping

8 Likes

what the hell legs do they even have to stand on now that Xbox doesn’t have the cloud rights, they signed a deal with Sony lol

7 Likes

Don’t worry folks.

This deal will close, guaranteed, by Friday 13th.

Nobody will complain during this feedback phase the CMA launched last Friday.

That period will close on 6th.

We might, might even get an immediate signal from CMA that they formally accept the deal next Friday.

I’d normally have said the following Monday, but they did sneak out their provisional approval late on a Friday as well.

So best case scenario - approve Friday 6th

Outside scenario = Monday 9th.

Following these dates MS/ABK will use the week commencing 9th to close the deal, with it finally closing before Friday 13th.

5 Likes

There are no, more legs. Their strongest anti-acquisition warrior has himself given up and decided to retire next year.

8 Likes

Friday the 13th?! Is that a good omen or not? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s actually my dad’s and mum in law’s birthday too (yes they oddly share the same birthday!)

3 Likes

Acquisition themed cakes for everyone!!

8 Likes

The FTC couldn’t even get an initial PI and were pretty much laughed out of court. Anyone who thinks they have a case to dismantle an already closed merger AFTER being denied a PI is deluding themselves.

3 Likes

As you say, the FTC cannot prevent or unwind a merger, only the federal courts can and a federal judge has already ruled on the matter. So unless the market conditions change drastically, or congress passes new legislation, the FTC is a side show.

Even new legislation couldnt be uaed because they cant retroactively apply newly created laws.

1 Like